This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Change In Taste?

Steve Moody

Steve Moody Newbie

As I continue to heal, I find that certain things are starting to change in flavor. Tonight, I made a batch of steel cut oats (nom nom!), and put my normal tablespoon of cinnamon in my bowl, and find that I no longer like what EVERYONE has told me is entirely too much cinnamon, but was always very tasty for me.

Is it unheard of for a celiac to suddenly find that flavors once enjoyed are no unpleasant?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

First off, you know you probably shouldn't be eating even gluten-free oats. Most things I have seen say to wait until healed to try them. Some celiacs react to the gluten in oats. Regular oats are contaminated with wheat.

I have found that some food tastes different now. Still love way to much cinnamon! :)

Just read your info. Not sure about the recommendation for gluten-free oats for intolerance.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Ditto about the oats. Oats and wheat are alternated in fields year by year. Wheat of course will sprout up in the field so most oats are contaminated. There are gluten free oats supposedly. I haven't dared try them yet although I'd love to. Oats are a great source of fiber and they taste good, but I'm scared. And yes, celiacs can react to oats too. I think it's like ten percent but don't quote me.

As far as taste, yes! I eat so clean now that chemical stuff especially tastes really bad. All soda tastes like soap and chemicals to me. I can drink the all natural Hansen's soda made with real sugar and natural flavors, but Coke, Sprite etc. taste SO nasty I gag.

I quit artificial sweeteners years ago, so I have no idea how that would taste now but I bet it would be gross.

sa1937 Community Regular

Any idea how long it should be before trying oatmeal?

I've been gluten free for 5 months and just bought a bag of BRM gluten free oats but haven't tried them yet. I do need to make sure that when I do, I need to plan to be home that day (just in case). I really do miss having oatmeal.

miles Rookie

I started gluten-free oats after about 3 months, but we all heal differently.

I eat oatmeal 5-6 days a week without issue, and Bob

srall Contributor

Ditto about the oats. Oats and wheat are alternated in fields year by year. Wheat of course will sprout up in the field so most oats are contaminated. There are gluten free oats supposedly. I haven't dared try them yet although I'd love to. Oats are a great source of fiber and they taste good, but I'm scared. And yes, celiacs can react to oats too. I think it's like ten percent but don't quote me.

As far as taste, yes! I eat so clean now that chemical stuff especially tastes really bad. All soda tastes like soap and chemicals to me. I can drink the all natural Hansen's soda made with real sugar and natural flavors, but Coke, Sprite etc. taste SO nasty I gag.

I quit artificial sweeteners years ago, so I have no idea how that would taste now but I bet it would be gross.

Yup...I can definitely taste the chemicals too. And I have always had a huge sweet tooth and now sugar is too sweet for me (ha ha)

I can't believe I now crave meat and salads.

Since I'm self diagnosed, I'm still trying to figure out how sensitive I am to gluten, although it seems to me that I'm pretty darn sensitive, and I can eat Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats. It doesn't hurt my stomach, but if I don't eat oatmeal with an egg it feels like a carb overload. I've been gluten-free about 6 months I think.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks for the replies...guess I'll test the waters one of these days and hope I'm one of the celiacs who can tolerate gluten free oatmeal (at least occasionally). Of course, I have no idea yet how I'm healing...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I've been gluten free for about 9 months but I'm waiting on gluten free oats. However I was extremely ill when I got diagnosed. It took me 6 months gluten free to start feeling good. So for me it's just not time yet.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I was going to wait on the oats until after my first follow-up bloodwork. If for some reason, it's not back into the normal range (would be very weird as was barely elevated), I won't. If normal, I'll try them.

As for taste changes: absolutely. I was already a pretty healthy eater in terms of fruit veg whole foods etc but I'll now eat some of the produce I didn't like before. I'm not eating it like it's candy, but I can eat avocados, tomatoes and bananas without making faces. Turns out, I'll also eat flan/pudding when before I would not. Some of it is probably just being hungry; some is probably an almost complete end of GERD. (Woohoo!!!)

I don't think I've started to dislike anything...

WheatChef Apprentice

Changes such as these can occur without any sort of change in interference from food intolerance related issues. As you change your diet in any form your body gets used to obtaining energy from new sources. Because of this change of sources of energy and nourishment your mind makes different associations of what to tell you is a favorable (tastes good, causes salivation, charges enzyme production) and what is not favorable. This is why people who eat absolute crap food either don't find anything pleasurable or can't appreciate the same subtlety of flavors, your tongue/stomach/gut change what your opinion of food is.

Archived