29 replies to this topic

#1 munchkinette

munchkinette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

I'm traveling next week (Honolulu) and I'm wondering if there are any major chains that have gluten free fries. I don't usually eat them so I don't pay attention, but McDonald's and Burger King seem to be in most airports and tourist destinations.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

I'm traveling next week (Honolulu) and I'm wondering if there are any major chains that have gluten free fries. I don't usually eat them so I don't pay attention, but McDonald's and Burger King seem to be in most airports and tourist destinations.

I can't help much, but I can tell you that McDonald's are NOT okay <_<

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:36 AM

I can't help much, but I can tell you that McDonald's are NOT okay <_<

Yes, they are. There is a trace of wheat-based flavoring used in processing that McDonalds does disclose, but when the finished fries are tested independently there is no detectable gluten on the most sensitive assays.

Chick-Fil-A is good, and some Burger King restaurants have a dedicated fryer for their french fries. You have to ask every time, though.

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

I'm not sure that I'd eat McDonald's fries after all the debate that has gone on with them about whether they are or aren't safe for celiacs. Depsite them testing with no levels of gluten, they're typically made in shared fryers. I know that all Chick-Fil-A's have dedicated fryers but depending on where you are in the country, it might be tough to track them down. When I'm in airports, I tend to stick to cashews, candy (terrible I know) or a bag of chips if I have to eat. I always try to keep some glutino crackers or pretzels or a granola bar in my bag for travel purposes too!

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

McDonalds have dedicated fryers for the fries in order that nothing else can compromise the flavor of the fries. In the store layout, those dedicated fryers are in a different part of the store, and are operated by different employees.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

Peter is right. McD fries are definitely done in separate fryers and usually are nowhere near the other fryers. MOST Wendy's fryers are dedicated and the fries are gluten-free. Same with BK, although the fryers are near each other so CC is more likely. Hardees (Carls) does NOT have dedicated fryers.

Just to be safe, always ask about dedicated fryers.

richard

#7 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

When I'm in airports, I tend to stick to cashews, candy (terrible I know) or a bag of chips if I have to eat. I always try to keep some glutino crackers or pretzels or a granola bar in my bag for travel purposes too!

Yeah... the only time I came home early from a trip due to glutening was 2 years ago in the Dominican Republic. I was living off peanut M&Ms. I can't do that again.

I do have some snacks to bring in my bag, as well as my soy sauce packets. The hostel has a kitchen. (I've stayed there before.) Still, I know that going out drinking involves late night snacks, and I like to know my options before my judgment is compromised.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#8 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

In & Out if they have them there. Ask for protein style burger and a separate box for your fries. Tell them you have a wheat allergy and to change their gloves. Usually they are pretty good about this. Try to make sure it is not peak hours because it will take more time for your food.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#9 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

I eat Five Guys Fries and bunless burgers all the time. Pretty sure they are in HI. Everything is safe there except the bun. The burgers are cooked on a seperate grill so as far as fast food goes there is very little chance of CC. Chick Fil A is the only other place I'll eat fries.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#10 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

The McD fries thing is weird. I work downtown Toronto and there is a McD's near my office. I went there for fries a few weeks ago. I asked the girl behind the counter if the fries are done in dedicated fryers (cuz I always like to confirm before putting food in my mouth...what if a policy changes?) and she gave me a weird look. So I asked, "Do you fry your french fries in seperate fryers?" and she said, "yes" and I said, "so you don't fry anything else in them?" and she said "... pause....NO". Because of the pause, I asked "never?" and she said, "Well, we're not supposed to, but sometimes we do." I then told her I had celiac disease and could get sick if I ate fries cross-contaminated with items that have gluten.

I was so sad...esp cuz I had no lunch as my plan had been to get McD's fries.
Has anyone else ever encountered this? Maybe it was a one-off?

KDawg

McDonalds have dedicated fryers for the fries in order that nothing else can compromise the flavor of the fries. In the store layout, those dedicated fryers are in a different part of the store, and are operated by different employees.

Many autoimmune disorders: Graves Disease in 1998, Psoriasis on or about 2000, Hashimoto's in 2008.

Severely anemic in 2007 (undetectable iron levels)

Elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST) as of October 2008.

Negative blood test for celiac disease in February 2009, followed by diagnosis of celiac disease in April 2009 after positive biopsy.

#11 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

Company policy may be nothing else in the fryers but in reality, they sometimes use them for something else. Appreicate her honesty.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

This was definitely the first I have heard of McDonald's using dedicated fryers, but I will be the first to admit that I zoned out after the first 1082913712 pages during the initial debate :blink: I have, however, in the past when eating those evil fries, found pieces of fried chicken or bits of coating in the bottom of the fry thing...which to me tells me they're sharing something they shouldn't!!

I totally forgot about Five Guys. LOVE THEM!

#13 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:18 AM

I eat Five Guys Fries and bunless burgers all the time. Pretty sure they are in HI. Everything is safe there except the bun. The burgers are cooked on a seperate grill so as far as fast food goes there is very little chance of CC.

Yes. Five Guys is an awesome chain. Love them.

To the OP- you mentioned that you're staying at a hostel with a kitchen, which is a big plus. I would like to mention that if you're planning on cooking, pack your own skillet, cutting board, and utensils. Those things are likely provided in the hostel kitchen, but it's anyone's guess what was previously prepared using them and how well they were cleaned.

As for airport food: I didn't trust the McD that I found in the O'Hare airport (Chicago). They were absolutely mobbed and I didn't see evidence of separate fryers. I stuck with a fruit cup and Kind bar from the Starbucks kiosk.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

This was definitely the first I have heard of McDonald's using dedicated fryers, but I will be the first to admit that I zoned out after the first 1082913712 pages during the initial debate :blink: I have, however, in the past when eating those evil fries, found pieces of fried chicken or bits of coating in the bottom of the fry thing...which to me tells me they're sharing something they shouldn't!!

I totally forgot about Five Guys. LOVE THEM!

Betcha it was bits of breakfast hash browns, which are cooked at the same station. Little bits break off easily and we always ended up with hash brown crumbs in the fry bags at the changeover from breakfast to lunch.

I worked in a McDonald's in high school and not much has changed as far as their fried foods. We would have been reprimanded the first time and fired the second if we put something other than fries into the fry station. The grease is a different temperature and the foods do not cook correctly in the wrong fryers. McDonald's is all about process control and consistency.

I'm pretty sensitive and I've eaten plenty of McDonald's fries without problems.

#15 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

Betcha it was bits of breakfast hash browns, which are cooked at the same station. Little bits break off easily and we always ended up with hash brown crumbs in the fry bags at the changeover from breakfast to lunch.

I worked in a McDonald's in high school and not much has changed as far as their fried foods. We would have been reprimanded the first time and fired the second if we put something other than fries into the fry station. The grease is a different temperature and the foods do not cook correctly in the wrong fryers. McDonald's is all about process control and consistency.

I'm pretty sensitive and I've eaten plenty of McDonald's fries without problems.

I'm wondering if I should give McD's a try again. I had done research awhile back and decided that McD's fries were OK and so let my son have them (which was his absolute favorite treat). After a couple of months I saw that his improvement had stopped and thought maybe it was the fries (although it could really have been a number of other things). It is incredibly hard to tell if he has been glutened.

Hubby & I hate driving by McD's because our son asks for fries every time he sees the sign.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: