29 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

I'm wondering if I should give McD's a try again. I had done research awhile back and decided that McD's fries were OK and so let my son have them (which was his absolute favorite treat). After a couple of months I saw that his improvement had stopped and thought maybe it was the fries (although it could really have been a number of other things). It is incredibly hard to tell if he has been glutened.

Hubby & I hate driving by McD's because our son asks for fries every time he sees the sign.

You could always talk to the manager at that particular store and see whether their policies about the fryers are as strict as when I worked there.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

hmm...it could've been a burnt hashbrown....I didn't think of that one.

I always did love McDonald's fries...maybe because I know they're bad for you which is why they're so delish. Perhaps I'll give her another go!

#18 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

hmm...it could've been a burnt hashbrown....I didn't think of that one.

I always did love McDonald's fries...maybe because I know they're bad for you which is why they're so delish. Perhaps I'll give her another go!

I might try too...I haven't eaten anything but fries at McD's since 1986 (including on a trip where I attended a convention for three days at Hamburger University in 1990). But pre-gluten-free I would get drive-thru fries and a coke once a week. Bad for the waistline but a quick, cheap treat.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#19 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

The only place I will eat fries is Chick-Fil-A. I've recently started making my own fries and I LOVE them. It is SO easy too. I don't crave fast food fries at all any more.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#20 3Celiacs@myhouse

3Celiacs@myhouse

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

I'm traveling next week (Honolulu) and I'm wondering if there are any major chains that have gluten free fries. I don't usually eat them so I don't pay attention, but McDonald's and Burger King seem to be in most airports and tourist destinations.

My understanding is that the only gluten free french fry is the unprocessed french fry, ie: In N Out, & Wendy's now has natural fries too. As for how they're cooked, if you were at a place that had onion rings or other battered, fried food, I highly doubt that a fryer is dedicated to just fries unless it's openly mentioned on the gluten free portion of their menu. You could always ask the staff, but good luck communicating. I've tried to ask about gluten free french fries and the response has been: "No, we don't have free fries"! You know the saying, "Better safe than sorry",? Well, better no gluten fries than sorry!

#21 3Celiacs@myhouse

3Celiacs@myhouse

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

You could always talk to the manager at that particular store and see whether their policies about the fryers are as strict as when I worked there.

We used to feel sorry for ourselves at first too, then I went and purchased a small fryer. Ya, it sucks not being able to hit the drive thru, but not as bad as feeling sick. When I feel the need to do my extra mommy thing I make my boys fries, but now Wendy's has gluten free fries so we're not limited to mine or In N Outs.

#22 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,044 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:26 AM

We used to feel sorry for ourselves at first too, then I went and purchased a small fryer. Ya, it sucks not being able to hit the drive thru, but not as bad as feeling sick. When I feel the need to do my extra mommy thing I make my boys fries, but now Wendy's has gluten free fries so we're not limited to mine or In N Outs.

How did you find out that Wendy's fries are gluten-free? Aren't they fried in the same fryer with something else? The Wendy's website clearly states they may be fried with gluten containing items.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

How did you find out that Wendy's fries are gluten-free? Aren't they fried in the same fryer with something else? The Wendy's website clearly states they may be fried with gluten containing items.

MOST Wendy's have dedicated fryers but a few don't, hence the warning at the website. Just ask.

richard

#24 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Peter is right. McD fries are definitely done in separate fryers and usually are nowhere near the other fryers. MOST Wendy's fryers are dedicated and the fries are gluten-free. Same with BK, although the fryers are near each other so CC is more likely. Hardees (Carls) does NOT have dedicated fryers.

Just to be safe, always ask about dedicated fryers.

richard

Always ask, this was not the case in the McD I worked at; the nuggets were fried in the same oil, right next to the french fries.

#25 Laura

Laura

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

Adding my vote to everyone who said Five Guys and In N Out. So, so good, and since it's just straight-up potato and they don't have anything else deep-fried, you know what you're getting.

#26 jubilanthope

jubilanthope

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Peter is right. McD fries are definitely done in separate fryers and usually are nowhere near the other fryers. MOST Wendy's fryers are dedicated and the fries are gluten-free. Same with BK, although the fryers are near each other so CC is more likely. Hardees (Carls) does NOT have dedicated fryers.

Just to be safe, always ask about dedicated fryers.

richard

I went to wendy's last night. Ordered fries, ate one and then it dawned on me to ask if anything else is cooked in their fries fryer. Yes, was there answer, chicken nuggets and something else but I didn't hear the second answer.

#27 jsmjboertlein

jsmjboertlein

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

Well, I can at least clear up the McDonald's thing. I worked at sevral different McD's over the course of 10 years. The fries are made in a dedicated vat. The only other thing cooked in there are hash browns, they are handled by a dedicated fry cook. They do not sometimes use them for other things and I will tell you why. Chicken and fish and fries all have to be legally cooked at different temperatures. If they were making nuggets or chicken in the fry vats, you'd know because you wouldn't be the only one sick. There would be an outbreak of salmonella. Fries and hash are the lowest temp cookers, then there's the chicken fryers which are much higher temp and then there is the fish fryer which is an even higher temp yet. I know this because I was the manager and it was my job to check the temps 2 times per shift. I also know because I have been burnt by both the fry oil down the front of my shirt and pants and the fish oil my whole hand slipped in the vat. Which hurt worse? The FISH VAT! LOL! I can also say that when my celiac disease son eats the McD fries he gets very sick. Must be the beef flovoring which contains trace amounts of wheat. His celiac disease is a very extreme case. As for the bits n pieces of other things in the fries those are hash browns, they fall apart very easily while cooking. Hope this helps!

#28 Emily928

Emily928

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

I didn't realize that Wendy's new fries were gluten-free! Next time I go to one, I'll have to check on the dedicated fryer issue. Not so good for the diet though! I got fries recently at Penn Station twice and was ok both times. It's similar to a Five Guys situation where the only side they have is fries, and they slice the potatoes in-house.

#29 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

Wendy's fries have been gluten-free for years.

richard

#30 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,044 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

Wendy's fries have been gluten-free for years.

richard

Only if the Wendy's is big enough and "with it" enough to have a decicated fryer.

From http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

Natural-Cut Fries may be cooked in the same oil as Boneless Chicken Wings, Crispy Chicken Patty, Crispy Chicken Nuggets, Spicy Chicken Nuggets (where available) & Fish Fillets (where available), which contain a wheat allergen.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: