arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Udi's gluten-free Bagels And Severe Nausea?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 missingpasta

missingpasta

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:37 AM

Hi all,

I am new to this site and finding it immensely helpful! I have been gluten-free for 3 months (except for a couple of binges which I paid for!) and feeling much better. I lately found Udi's products and love the taste and texture. However, I purchased a pack of plain bagels to try recently and have had a severe case of nausea (without actual vomiting) and stomach pain each time I have eaten them. I have had 3 bagels and the same reaction each time. I have eaten them for breakfast and the symptoms start about 30 minutes after and last 10 to 12 hours. Along with the nausea I experience sweating, shaking and inability to concentrate - all of which could be caused by the severe nausea...who can think clearly when they feel they could vomit at any moment?

Obviously, I am not going to eat any more of the bagels, but nothing else has done this to me and I don't see anything in the ingredients which might cause this.

Anyone else experience this or have any info that might help?

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

There is a thread on here that discusses this. You're not alone. You will, however, get bombarded by people on this thread telling you that you have to have another intolerence aside from gluten. I don't have any other intolerances and am just convinced that despite Udi's being a trusted gluten free company that I love...I cannot handle their products.

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

Are you toasting them in a toaster previously used for gluten foods?
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

There is a thread on here that discusses this. You're not alone. You will, however, get bombarded by people on this thread telling you that you have to have another intolerence aside from gluten. I don't have any other intolerances and am just convinced that despite Udi's being a trusted gluten free company that I love...I cannot handle their products.

Why the negative attitude? Many of us DO have additional food intolerances. Good for you that you don't, but please don't make it sound like those that do have additional intolerance are making things up. Additional intolerances is ONE possible explanation, another possible explanation is cross-contamination in preparation (like in a shared toaster or spreading it with a shared condiment), and I'm sure there are plenty of other explanations too. When people suggest additional intolerances they are just trying to be helpful.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

So how, exactly, do you think you are reacting to gluten in Udi's given the huge number of highly sensitive celiacs who eat their products without problems? Are you that special a snowflake?

Udi's is obviously using a lot of dough conditioners to get the texture. You might be a little more open-minded and consider that either the treated flours or the dough conditioners themselves are causing your and other peoples' reactions.

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

i havent tried Udi's stuff yet- nor do i know the ingredients.... but i DO know, whether or not you have a problem with grains & carbs- GLUTEN FREE specialty products have A LOT of not so great ingredients- a lot of calories, and a lot of problematic ingredients. i, personally feel better if i eat more natural foods & only eat the specialty gluten free substitutes on occasion as a "treat". and then of course, we're all different & still dont know so much about each food- you could have your own special reactions... for example: green tea, red onions, and bananas are all very healthy foods- yet 75% of the time-> if i eat them by itself, i could very easily be running to the bathroom to vomit.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#7 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with Betty Crocker's gluten-free Devil's Food Cake mix. I made cakes about 10 times and had no problem then out of the blue I started having the same reaction you did with the bagels! I thought it was bad eggs or rancid butter maybe. It was awful. Major stomach pain, nausea (while driving I pulled over a couple of times, but never vomited). It happened with 3 batches of the cake so I gave up making the cake. I have no idea what it could have been. I have no other intolerances or allergies either. And I made the cakes myself in a dedicated pan, yaddi yah. No cross contamination. Icing was definitely gluten-free and I 've eaten the icing alone since then with no problems.
It hasn't happened with other similar products since then either. So, who knows what it could have been!

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this site and finding it immensely helpful! I have been gluten-free for 3 months (except for a couple of binges which I paid for!) and feeling much better. I lately found Udi's products and love the taste and texture. However, I purchased a pack of plain bagels to try recently and have had a severe case of nausea (without actual vomiting) and stomach pain each time I have eaten them. I have had 3 bagels and the same reaction each time. I have eaten them for breakfast and the symptoms start about 30 minutes after and last 10 to 12 hours. Along with the nausea I experience sweating, shaking and inability to concentrate - all of which could be caused by the severe nausea...who can think clearly when they feel they could vomit at any moment?

Obviously, I am not going to eat any more of the bagels, but nothing else has done this to me and I don't see anything in the ingredients which might cause this.

Anyone else experience this or have any info that might help?

Thanks so much!

\

keep a food diary, that will help you alot. How you feel after what you eat. I'm into my 4th month gluten-free and there are foods I cannot eat. I cannot eat UDI because brown rice bothers me.

il \and error. There are so many food allergies, food intolerance. Think about getting food allergy tested. I had awful pain, dizziness, migraines etc for months/years. My son has now had vomitting at 17...he will be tested soon! Going gluten-free,. I have yet to have a migraine since then. I'm still laesrning what I can eat!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

Wow. First off, I was not being negative. I was responding on my blackberry and was just trying to say my piece. No need to read into tones on the internet, it can really get you into a bit of a pickle, I've learned my lesson on that. I wasn't knocking anyone that has other intolerences just merely stating that it would come up, multiple times on this board that other intolerences would be questioned.

As for insulting me and calling me a "special snowflake" and implying that I'm closed minded,I'm not quite sure that's an appropriate response. Perhaps I am, given that I've never had adverse reactions to any other gluten free product other than Udi's. Maybe I react to the combination of all of the ingrediants, maybe its too much xanathan gum for my stomach. I couldn't really explain that to you with exception of it gives me severe stomach problems, so I choose to avoid it. Trust me, I'm insanely open minded about being a celiac and give plenty of companies the benefit of the doubt. I simply stated that I have to avoid them "despite being a company that I love".

If I insulted anyone, that was obviously not my intention, so I apologize for your reading into a tone that wasn't there and do apologize for upsetting you. However, to go out of your way to insult someone who didn't knock a company and was just offering their two cents...I just find that inappropriate.

#10 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with Betty Crocker's gluten-free Devil's Food Cake mix. I made cakes about 10 times and had no problem then out of the blue I started having the same reaction you did with the bagels! I thought it was bad eggs or rancid butter maybe. It was awful. Major stomach pain, nausea (while driving I pulled over a couple of times, but never vomited). It happened with 3 batches of the cake so I gave up making the cake. I have no idea what it could have been. I have no other intolerances or allergies either. And I made the cakes myself in a dedicated pan, yaddi yah. No cross contamination. Icing was definitely gluten-free and I 've eaten the icing alone since then with no problems.
It hasn't happened with other similar products since then either. So, who knows what it could have been!

Looks like we can be special little snowflakes together :D

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

When you wrote "You will, however, get bombarded by people on this thread telling you that you have to have another intolerence aside from gluten." I interpreted this as "I'm right, you're reacting to gluten, don't listen to anyone else."

I was a little rude in return, as your post made me pretty mad. I'm one of the posters who reminds folks that they can get food poisoning, viruses, have other intolerances, and that not everything that makes you feel sick is a gluten reaction. I think people lose sight of that far too often on this board.

Udi's is made in a dedicated facility and many sensitive celiacs are fine with it, so Occam's razor suggests that it's not gluten people are reacting to. I am a little concerned about exactly which enzymes they use and what it does to the chemical structure of the proteins in the dough, but I should probably write Udi's and ask before I post my suspicions about why some people react here.

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

I too am one of the first people to say that it could be something non-gluten related causing a sickness, nothing has frustrated me more in my close to 7 years as a celiac than someone saying "well what did you eat" when I say I don't feel well. Its' not always about gluten...which is why I never claimed Udi's wasn't gluten free...just that something about the combination of ingredients causes me to get ill. I can't use those little crystal light packets you put in water bottles either without having that reaction but can drink other juices with the same exact ingredients with no reaction. I believe my body is just odd. Perhaps I was abrupt in my reply, but people do tend to bombard you on occasion telling you that there must be something else wrong with you, when sometimes...its just not something that can be explained. I believe I should no longer try to respond while sitting in traffic on my blackberry...

The odd thing about my reaction with this latest Udi's is that my boyfriend, who I live with, ate the remainder of my order and the days he ate the products, he too had stomach issues. He's a heavy gluten eater, so I immediately believe that maybe its just something else all together.

I apologize for upsetting you, but there's no need to get mad about a post...never on here have I ever seen anyone intentionally try to stir up anger, usually its the responses to other posts that bring out the rudeness and inappropriate comments. Tone is a killer in email and on this board!

#13 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

why do you get upset when someone says "well what did you eat?" ?? it is possible to have other food intolerances & allergies... or it may be a food you're normally ok with- but maybe it points to one of your organs not working properly. im always asking people what they ate- im just trying to help them solve their puzzle
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#14 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I'm less than 6 months into this and have a ton of learning left to do but could it be that our body changes with what we can tolerate. If we eat something now and then eat the same thing a month or so down the line and get sick from it could it be that our tolerances - or lack of - change as we go? I feel like I am more sensitive to certain foods now than I was a couple of months ago. of course it could be that I am learning what it feels like to get well and so notice things more.

#15 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

why do you get upset when someone says "well what did you eat?" ?? it is possible to have other food intolerances & allergies... or it may be a food you're normally ok with- but maybe it points to one of your organs not working properly. im always asking people what they ate- im just trying to help them solve their puzzle

I get upset because my uneducated friends and family ask me that ANY time I'm sick....not just stomach issues..even allergies or the flu. I get annoyed because ever since I got diagnosed its always something I ate, in their mind...which isn't the case. So in this case, when they ask, my symptoms typically have nothing to do with a celiac symptom...hence the being annoyed.

Sure, its possible to have other intolerances and allergies, but I do not. I've been tested and I do not...therefore, its not currently a possibility for me.

Everyone appreciates people caring and trying to help them solve their puzzle for sure...I just do my best to educate those who surround me (physically in my life, not on this message board) to let them know that its not ALWAYS related to my disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: