#1 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hi All,
I got some good news today, and thought I would share! I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia long before I was diagnosed with Celiac. For about 8 years, I have had annual bone scans and annual Reclast injections, only to learn it was getting worse.

I have been gluten free for a bit over a year. I've been taking my calcium, Vitamin D and exercising. I had my annual bone scan two weeks ago. The doctor called today and said "Your bone scan shows DRAMATIC improvement in all bones."
YAY!
So, the diet does work, and the damage can be undone! I've been feeling really great for about 5 months now. Even my doctor was somewhat shocked with what an amazing recovery I have had. I look and feel like a whole new person!

Just sharing my joy :D
Janie
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for posting that! It's very encouraging news.

#3 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:43 AM

that is EXTREMELY encouraging news! so happy for you!!! :) what calcium supplement do you take?

#4 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

That is encouraging news. I am hoping for the same thing. I am new to the diet but my bone scans weren't getting any better in spite of taking calcum and Boniva. My GI doctor who found my Celiac said that my back pain will probably go away too. I hope many of us Celiac's can look at the positive side of things.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#5 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Caltrate + D twice a day, and 4000 IU daily of vitamin D :)

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi All,
I got some good news today, and thought I would share! I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia long before I was diagnosed with Celiac. For about 8 years, I have had annual bone scans and annual Reclast injections, only to learn it was getting worse.

I have been gluten free for a bit over a year. I've been taking my calcium, Vitamin D and exercising. I had my annual bone scan two weeks ago. The doctor called today and said "Your bone scan shows DRAMATIC improvement in all bones."
YAY!
So, the diet does work, and the damage can be undone! I've been feeling really great for about 5 months now. Even my doctor was somewhat shocked with what an amazing recovery I have had. I look and feel like a whole new person!

Janie

May I ask whether or not you are post-menopausal? I also have osteoporosis in my spine and osteopenia in my hips. I have never taken any bone meds because I chose not to after doing some research on them.....interesting that you were given injections of Reclast yet still your bone density did not improve. That bypasses the gut so it goes to show how poorly these meds work.

I am so encouraged and thrilled you have had these results! I started doing very serious weight training with a personal trainer in June and if this doesn't work for me, I am out of options. I am praying that I have the same experience that you have had. I was just taking calcium, magnesium and lots of Vit.D but that wasn't enough. I do hike and walk a lot so that prevented my hips from getting to full blown osteoporosis but the spine was another matter. I am 5 1/2 years post gluten free and everything has gotten better except the bones....I am also post-menopausal so I hope all is not lost for me!

Good work and I'm glad you've had such fantastic results. :D

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

Congrats!!!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

I am 44, and not menopausal. I took reclast for many years, but I was so very sick from the celiac, I don't think it would have worked even though it bypasses the GI tract. I was a skeleton trying to get through every day prior to diagnosis.
I did chat with my doctor about it. He's a DO, and is "drug resistant" :D However, he is very comfortable with Reclast because of the few side effects and its ability to actually rebuild bone. It's painless, too, it just takes a while because it is administered by IV.

#9 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Yay! From what I've read, gluten-free diet generally means young celiac patients regain a good bit of lost bone density. Not much to read on older patients...

Anyway, i'm also hoping to have a scan next year and discover that the weirdly elevated rate of loss is now either zero or positive.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Yay! From what I've read, gluten-free diet generally means young celiac patients regain a good bit of lost bone density. Not much to read on older patients...

Anyway, i'm also hoping to have a scan next year and discover that the weirdly elevated rate of loss is now either zero or positive.

I truly know you meant nothing by your statement about "older" patients......it's just that at 51, I went through early menopause at 45, which is common for Celiac's. I feel so much better than I did at thirty that I literally cringe when I hear people refer to me as older! :lol: :P I guess I am but I am actually now in better shape than most of the younger gals at work so have that
"Who? Me?" thing going when it comes to aging. Maybe someday I'll get used to it! :blink:

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

I am 44, and not menopausal. I took reclast for many years, but I was so very sick from the celiac, I don't think it would have worked even though it bypasses the GI tract. I was a skeleton trying to get through every day prior to diagnosis.
I did chat with my doctor about it. He's a DO, and is "drug resistant" :D However, he is very comfortable with Reclast because of the few side effects and its ability to actually rebuild bone. It's painless, too, it just takes a while because it is administered by IV.

I think the reason many older women don't have much to go on when it comes to bone density is that many don't put as much effort into it as I am right now. They are steered into meds and have a hard time with the exercise that's required. This weight training stuff is great in how it makes you feel but it is literally the hardest work-out I have ever done in my entire life. I am starting lower than many of the women as I am trying to build muscle and bone. My muscles were atrophied at diagnosis and had no tone, plus the bone thing...... :o I am getting stronger but it is taking me longer than many in the class. They didn't start out as malnourished.

I am hesitant to use any bone meds as I have a lot of dental work to be done and that will be an on going project. I am having an implant done in October and I am just too afraid about the jaw problems that could occur with using Reclast and the like.
With my luck, I'll develop a problem and it cannot be fixed. This is why I am killing myself in the gym right now and it had better work! I am extremely curious as to see whether or not we older ladies can build bone like the youngun's! :lol: I am told by doctors that we can, it just takes more effort. Well...I'm doing that so I am hoping for bones by Christmas....at least some improvement!

#12 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi All,

YAY!

Janie

Tha is great news!

I was told that my osteopenia would reverse after having surgery for hyperparathyroidism. I haven't had a scan since my surgery 16 months ago. Guess I'll have to see if my DO will order a scan.

I'm still taking close to 2000 mg. of calcium citrate, 4000 IU Vitamin D3 daily along with magnesium glycinate. I'd love to be able to cut down on the calcium. I do better with calcium citrate than with calcium carbonate.

#13 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Great news! It's always so nice to hear about the benefits of having to follow a strict diet.

#14 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

I truly know you meant nothing by your statement about "older" patients......it's just that at 51, I went through early menopause at 45, which is common for Celiac's. I feel so much better than I did at thirty that I literally cringe when I hear people refer to me as older! :lol: :P I guess I am but I am actually now in better shape than most of the younger gals at work so have that
"Who? Me?" thing going when it comes to aging. Maybe someday I'll get used to it! :blink:

Gemini, I am with you. Although I am 44, I felt 100 for years. I honestly feel better and younger than I did at 20, thanks to the diet. Well, er, except for my right hip that is :P

#15 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

I think the reason many older women don't have much to go on when it comes to bone density is that many don't put as much effort into it as I am right now. They are steered into meds and have a hard time with the exercise that's required. This weight training stuff is great in how it makes you feel but it is literally the hardest work-out I have ever done in my entire life. I am starting lower than many of the women as I am trying to build muscle and bone. My muscles were atrophied at diagnosis and had no tone, plus the bone thing...... :o I am getting stronger but it is taking me longer than many in the class. They didn't start out as malnourished.

I am hesitant to use any bone meds as I have a lot of dental work to be done and that will be an on going project. I am having an implant done in October and I am just too afraid about the jaw problems that could occur with using Reclast and the like.
With my luck, I'll develop a problem and it cannot be fixed. This is why I am killing myself in the gym right now and it had better work! I am extremely curious as to see whether or not we older ladies can build bone like the youngun's! :lol: I am told by doctors that we can, it just takes more effort. Well...I'm doing that so I am hoping for bones by Christmas....at least some improvement!

I am going to give a big shout out to Curves. I've been working out there daily. Their routine is resistance machines, that you can make more difficult based on your effort each time. Yeah, starting out malnourished like we all were means a lower bar at the beginning, but you'll get there! I went for my one year checkup with my DO a few weeks ago and he was "thrilled, astonished, ecstatic" about the progress I have made and what a great "rule follower" I have become. Who woulda thought? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: