arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What's Your Favorite gluten-free "mainstream" Meal?

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#1 crimsonviolet

crimsonviolet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'd love some more ideas for gluten-free meals that aren't designed to be gluten-free. Like tonight we had Shepherd's Pie (aka hamburger pie) - casserole layered with seasoned ground beef, tomato sauce, a veggie (I used diced zucchini), mashed potatoes and cheese.

Other meals we like include:

- Hamburger patties with fries and a veggie (usually corn or peas). We just skip the buns.
- Bacon & eggs + fruit
- Taco stew (see the recipe on the Whole Foods site) - similar to chili, and we serve it with tortilla chips.
- Quesadillas - we make them with everything under the sun inside, we just use corn tortillas instead of flour. (My friend who is from Mexico said "Of course you use corn, why would you make them with flour tortillas??" lol)
- Sausages (made fresh at our local grocery store) with sauteed onions and red potatoes plus broccoli. My mom, who shuns all things gluten-free, LOVES this meal and was shocked it was gluten-free.

My kids also love pancakes, and we've had really good luck doctoring up the Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free mix. We add flax meal, fruit, zucchini, nuts, berries, you name it. Plus the toppings - stewed apples & pecans, berry compote, cinnamon sugar. We have turned pancakes into an art form in our house! Seriously - last time DH made them, I decided we have Cracker Barrel beat by a long shot. lol

Share your favorite meal!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 crimsonviolet

crimsonviolet

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

How could I forget stir-fry! One of our favorite quick meals. Dice up a bit of chicken, throw in some frozen veggies and gluten-free soy sauce and a few spices and YUM. :)

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:12 AM

I sneak gluten-free food past my friends regularly. ;)

Pulled pork and rice - The Kirkland pulled pork is gluten-free and you make it with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. My friends didn't notice the lack of gluten, and complemented me on the idea of serving it with rice. (Southern style, really.)

All sorts of homemade soups - chili, chicken and rice, split pea, black bean

Rice and lentil casserole
http://www.cooks.com...-225207,00.html

#4 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

yesterday i made a big pot of soup beans (used pintos) and threw ham in it. usually i keep the bone of a ham from another supper for flavor but didn't have one so i got some boar's head ham and shredded it. i made a salad and some bob mill's gluten free corn bread to go with it and OH MAN i wanted to eat the whole pan. it was sooooooooooo good. no one believed it was gluten free bread. taste awesome. i got the cornbread mix from target ... i am gonna be stocking up on it! it wasn't expensive and so quick and easy to make.

another meal we like to eat is steak, brocoli and these smashed potatoes-

5 to 6 med scrubbed red or idaho potatoes
salt (to taste)
3 to 4 slices of cooked bacon chopped into small pieces(i use the already cooked bacon)
2 green onions chopped up (the dark part) save the other for something else
2 to 3 T butter (or more to taste)
1/2 c sour cream

cut and boil potatoes until fork tender(i leave the skin on because i'm too lazy but you could peel it if you don't like potato skin).
drain and dump back in the pot and smash with potato masher (leave as "chunky" as you desire)
add the rest of the ingredients and combine. serve it up and dig in!

#5 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:15 AM

I like to make taco soup, buffalo chicken baked potatoes, steak, rotisserie chickens and stir fry all the time! I also love breakfast for dinner :) I think its easy to sneak by those gluten eaters...at least, I know it is for my gluten eater because I do all the cooking :D

#6 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:23 AM

Chicken and rice with peas and carrots, hamburger steaks(hamburger patties)with mashed potatoes and veggie, beef pot roast with veggies, I like to use kitchen basics beef stock for some flavor. Something I call swiss steak, I get those little round skillet steaks and simmer them for an hour in tomatoes and onions, green peppers if you like, and serve with mashed potatoes or rice. Oven baked potato with various toppings. Country style ribs, hot-water cornbread (like a cornmeal pancake)and veggies. Tacos are probably the house favorite. I made them for my sons b-day and everything was eaten. Alton Brown has a taco seasoning recipe that is good.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#7 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:51 AM

lots of things :)

for my birthday, my dad made DELISH meatballs with gluten free bread crumbs, a nice tomato sauce, and Tinkyada Rice Fettuccini :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Lots of great ideas posted...I need them, too, as I seem to get in a rut (don't we all?)

I love pork and sauerkraut (done in crockpot) with homemade mashed potatoes and applesauce.

Oven baked chicken with baked potatoes and veggie/salad.

Crustless quiche and salad. Quick and easy especially not having to mess with a crust. Quiche can be made from lots of things. I spray the glass pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and coat it with bread crumbs (obviously, they need to be gluten free). Unfortunately I'm trying to avoid dairy right now and I used half-and-half instead of milk. Haven't made it since going gluten free.

Beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots (oh, how I miss Campbell's cream of mushroom soup). Leftovers = beef stew, which could be topped with drop biscuits and called meat and vegetable pie (I pulled that on my husband once as he hated beef stew...Posted Image ) hee hee

When I bake potatoes, I bake extras...they're really good sliced or diced and fried. Great for a farmer's breakfast with omelets, bacon or sausage or skip the potatoes and make biscuits. Pancakes or waffles with whatever you wish to add to make a meal. Nice Sun. night "supper".
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

chili
chicken rice soup
chili
stir fry
lentil soup
spinach, bacon, and mushroom frittata

pretty much everything I make. :P
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

Here are some of our favorites, with minimal tweaking to make them gluten-free:

Homemade picadillo (ground beef seasoned with onions, garlic, chili, cumin, tomatoes and carrots) with refried beans and rice, served with tortillas. We ate this regularly when I was growing up and the only substitutions I've made were gluten free beef broth in the rice (for a little flavor) and corn tortillas instead of flour ones. Sometimes we just do beans and rice.

Smoked pork shoulder roast shredded with homemade BBQ sauce (aka pulled pork) with grilled veggies and vinaigrette potato salad.

Chili and corn chips.

Tomato-based pasta sauce with crumbled Jennie-O hot Italian turkey sausage, served over (gluten-free) pasta.

Roast chicken with lemon wedges in the cavity and herbs sprinkled on top, with roast veggies on the side.

Grilled salmon with quinoa or brown rice pilaf and tossed green salad.

Warm lentils and diced sauteed smoked sausage (we like Boarshead if we can find it) tossed with red wine vinaigrette and scallions.

Crock-pot beans cooked with a smoked ham hock from Whole Foods, simmered down and served with cornbread (gluten-free, of course).

And I've tweaked my favorite mac-and-cheese recipe to work with brown rice flour, lactose-free milk and gluten-free macaroni. We can't taste a difference. I'd happily serve it to anyone and I doubt they'd ever suspect it was gluten-free.

#11 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

- American Chop Suey - hamburger or turkey, tomato sauce, gluten-free noodles
- Shepard's Pie - hamburger or turkey, corn and mashed potatoes
- Tuna Noodle Casserole - I make a roux with gluten-free flour and olive oil, add chicken stock and hemp milk, add tuna, peas, pimentos and gluten-free noodles. Top with gluten-free breadcrumbs and bake.
- Chicken Parm - Bell and Evan's gluten-free chicken breasts, tomato sauce, cheese for hubby, daiya for me
- Pizza made on Glutino gluten-free crust, sauce, daiya, veggies
- Quick Cassoule - kielbasa, veggies, white beans topped with gluten-free bread crumbs and tomatoes (I use the ends of gluten-free bread)
- Tacos - the usual fixins
- Fish Tacos - Starfish brand gluten-free breaded fish with coleslaw wrapped in warm soft corn tortilla
- Roasted chicken legs and sweet potatoes
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#12 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

Our faves:

Fried chicken w/mashed potatoes & gravy (and sometimes biscuits)- use Pamela's baking mix, salt, garlic powder, and parmasean for breading

Chicken pot pie empanadas - use chebe mix to make the empanadas and pamela's mix, butter, & chicken stock for the filling along with leftover chicken, potatoes and frozen mixed veggies

"bagel" dogs - skewer hot dogs (like corndogs) and wrap in chebe dough and bake

pasta (with meat sauce or cream sauce)- using gluten-free pasta. For cream sauce I start with a roux (SP??) of butter and pamela's mix.

mac& cheese (homemade) I usually like to top this with bacon and parmasean cheese- same as pasta and cream sauce.

grilled cheese sandwiches - thanks to Udi's

meatball subs- minus bread crumbs (or you can roll in gluten-free breadcrumbs after forming the meatballs) I use Rachel Ray's recipe for baked meatballs. Use Chebe for the rolls or in a pinch you can toast up some Udi's bread and brush with garlic oil and melt a 1/2 slice of provolone over each slice of bread (keeps sauce from make the bread too soggy).

pizza- made from either Pamela's bread mix or chebe mix. I particularly like using the chebe mix and grilling it.

Mongolian Beef- easy but time consuming and only substitutions is use gluten-free soy sauce and coat meat using cornstarch

Asian stir fry (either rice or noodle)- again gluten-free soy sauce (& sometimes fish sauce) make this dish possible

Baked/fried spring rolls- still trying to get the hang of using rice paper wrappers, but once you have some practice with them the possibilities are endless.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#13 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

i MISS casseroles.... has anyone seen a gluten free cream of mushroom soup ??? i havent been able to find one yet ??
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

i MISS casseroles.... has anyone seen a gluten free cream of mushroom soup ??? i havent been able to find one yet ??

The Campbell's condensed version is what I miss the most as it was such a staple in my pantry. Progresso makes Creamy Mushroom (part of the Vegetable Classics line) but it's just not the same. You could probably make it work for some things but I'm missing my old Campbell's. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#15 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

Pacific makes a cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. They tasted like the old Campbell's stuff to me, but I was never a big fan of "cream of" dishes.

We had crockpot eggplant parmesan today for lunch and, even though I cooked it :P, it was FANTASTIC!

Korean ribs are a favorite.

Tacos and all their variations.

Rice and beans--so good!

Curry dishes

Peanut rice noodles

Lots of good stuff to make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: