This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Family Frustration

ilookthetype

ilookthetype Rookie

I moved out of my house 4 months ago, and realized I was gluten intolerant. Living with my roommate it fine, she has her food, I have my food, if we both have pasta I drain my rice noodles first, I make grilled cheese first, she checks EVERYTHING she buys that's communal food for Gluten. She a dream to live with :D .

I went home for the long weekend and was sick the entire time. We went out to eat and I knew we had gluten-free snacks in the car so I was going to eat on the way over and my mom forbid it :( (I'm 22 on the 12th) and so I went in and my mom ordered me food with no gluten in it (I wasn't going to eat) I ate it because it was my first time home, my grandfather was there and very concerned I wasn't eating. I got sick, small town PA diners aren't awesome at preventing CC :( . So i was sick from that.

My sister's are both also GI, my eldest figured it out first, and Patience just figured it out, they're both way less affected than I am, case in point: My family made pizza, gluten free (made it first) and then wheat. My sister's liked the toppings on the gluten pizza better so they ate the toppings off :o . And didn't get sick. My sister had eaten some of my dad's soup which had crackers in it and was fine :huh: . Now, either they aren't actually GI or they aren't affected by CC. My mom didn't understand why I was upset to see them eating toppings off of gluten pizza. If I did that I'd be locked in the bathroom for hours.

How do I help my parents realize that I am way more sensitive that my sisters. Keep in my mind, my mother said (at the dinner table with everyone) that I never complained of being sick and she never would have guessed that I was GI, and she would have thought Patience to be and she's not nearly as sensitive as me :blink:. Patience was in theater growing up, she's a bit of a drama queen. I am more reserved and just assumed that either my body was weird or it was normal to be sick after EVERY meal. Either way, I didn't want to talk to my mom about how I constantly rocked the Big D. Either way, I was pissed and a little offended and hurt that my mom pretty much made it sound like I was jumping on a fad. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm pretty point blank with people and if I have to go into gory detail about D and vomiting to get them to understand and not make me sick, then I do.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I know you don't want to go into gory details with your Mom but if you want her to understand you really need to. If you can't bring it up in person write her a long letter explaining that although you didn't complain you were suffering. You may find her to be more understanding of your situation if you open up about it a bit.

jackay Enthusiast

My sister's are both also GI, my eldest figured it out first, and Patience just figured it out, they're both way less affected than I am, case in point: My family made pizza, gluten free (made it first) and then wheat. My sister's liked the toppings on the gluten pizza better so they ate the toppings off :o . And didn't get sick. My sister had eaten some of my dad's soup which had crackers in it and was fine :huh: . Now, either they aren't actually GI or they aren't affected by CC. My mom didn't understand why I was upset to see them eating toppings off of gluten pizza. If I did that I'd be locked in the bathroom for hours.

How do I help my parents realize that I am way more sensitive that my sisters. Keep in my mind, my mother said (at the dinner table with everyone) that I never complained of being sick and she never would have guessed that I was GI, and she would have thought Patience to be and she's not nearly as sensitive as me :blink:. Patience was in theater growing up, she's a bit of a drama queen. I am more reserved and just assumed that either my body was weird or it was normal to be sick after EVERY meal. Either way, I didn't want to talk to my mom about how I constantly rocked the Big D. Either way, I was pissed and a little offended and hurt that my mom pretty much made it sound like I was jumping on a fad. :angry:

Even though your sisters don't have GI issues from CC, they shouldn't be risking it. They may be doing other damage that won't be noticable until later. Of course, they are the ones who have to make that decision.

Just stick to your guns and eat what you need to for your well being. It does get easier after a while.

I seldom eat at a restaurant. I always take my own meals when I go to someone else's house or eat before I go. When we go away for the weekend, I always make my meals ahead of time. It was a bit trickier when we went to Alaska to visit my daughter for 10 days. She found a small stainless steel pan that she had packed away and that is what I used for my cooking. My husband even make me separate kraut and ribs in the little pan. It was nice to be able to eat what the others ate some of the time, even if it was cooked separately.

My daughter made gluten free brownies that I couldn't eat because of CC issues with her ingredients and utensils. She sure enjoyed them and it didn't bother me watching her eat them. She doesn't get the CC issue but it is hard to grasp when you don't live with it daily. I'm so fortunate that my husband finally gets it. He thought I was way off board with it until I started feeling better and then he realized that it was really an issue.

I am fortunate that most of my extended family has been supportive of my eating habits. If they don't understand it, at least they don't comment on it. I think they feel off the hook that they don't have to cater to my intolerances. I know they'd feel terrible if I got sick from CC with their cooking.

Archived