This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Virus Or Cd?

Sheely

Sheely Apprentice

Ugh do I feel horrible. I had to take off from work today, I feel so bad. All day yesterday, I was really, really tired, and could barely function at work. Last night I started to feel really bloated, and even more tired. I woke up in the middle of the night with sharp, stabbing pains in the pit of my stomach, and kept feeling like I was going to throw up. This lasted through the night, then this morning came the diarrhea. The stomach pain is still there, and I still feel very nauseous. I tried to eat a gluten-free cookie, but as soon as I did, my stomach started to hurt even worse.

I don't know if I accidentally ate gluten, or if this is a stomach virus. I know my father wasn't feeling well on Sunday, and he had symptoms of a stomach virus. I guess you don't really know for sure, you just treat them both the same way.

Sheila

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmmadden Contributor

Sheila,

Either way it's no fun :( (I feel lousy today, too). Hopefully we'll get over this soon and enjoy some sunshine.

Best of Luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

Guest Viola

Yes, you do pretty much treat them both the same way. Since I was diagnosed I have had very few stomach viruses ... guess 98% of the ones before was celiac disease. Come to think of it, I also get less colds. I think perhaps because we are absorbing more protective vitamins.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

It is really hard to tell sometimes. if you have fever it is probably a virus.

mela14 Enthusiast

I had it 2 weeks ago and thought it was gluten but then wound up getting a fever of 101. Needless to say i spent 3 days in bed feeling awful. Now i feel like I am getting a relapse. At first I thought it was gluten but now have fever blisters coming out on my upper lip. I'm thinking it's probably viral. either way.........gotta rest and wait it out.

take good care of yourself..........hope you feel better soon!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I had a real bad headache the night from sunday to monday, too. And then, monday morning, I had a real bad "D". Then it was gone (at least that's what I thought). Today now, I have the headache again. There seems to be a bad virus going around. Other non-celiac people in our Y had that, too. <_<

mela14 Enthusiast

well..it's official......I've got the flu!

I tied to fight it off yesterday and went out all day but this morning it hit around 5:00 am. The whole body is screaming! head, muscles, fever blister, tummy.......getting out of bed and walking is an effort.

ok...gotta go back to bed and rest. taking tylenol helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zoe Newbie

Hi,

I am desperate for any info on dealing with gluten contamination - I react pretty severely (IBS type symptoms, bloat, headache, fatigue, insomnia) and am currently in the throes of gluten as I have been giving it to my 9.5 month old for his first celiac disease screen. I have been sick for most of the past two months and would love to know of any tips for facilitating recovery-

Thanks!!

mela14 Enthusiast

you have to give it time but the bottom line is that you'll only feel better once you stop eating gluten. Hang in there!

zoe Newbie

I actually have been completely gluten-free for 3.5 yrs - I have only recently been getting sick (through contact with my son - despite head-to-toe washing after meals - and I would rather get sick than not let him give me kisses). I was hoping for advice on easing symptoms but it looks like it is just a waiting game...and no more gluten for Jack until his next celiac screening (first one was negative!!)

Thanks!

Zoe

Something's going on with me, too, here. Again slightly "D". I don't get it. I was fine for a couple of days now... Let's see where this leads to now...

zoe Newbie

Stef-

Hope you're feeling better. I always know when its gluten poisoning (vs. flu) as I get super tired, dizzy, a puffy tummy, and (not to be gross) lots of mucous with lots of bathroom trips. If it is the gluten, hope you can trace the source-

Take care,

Zoe

Hi zoe,

I don't think it was gluten. Cause today I'm fine suddenly. I had to sneeze one time this morning, but that was it pretty much for being sick. I'm wearing a sweater the entire day already though. I can't tell, if the weather really is a little colder or if it's me. I think I'm going crazy... <_<

I hope you are feeling better Mel?

mela14 Enthusiast

Hi Stef.

It got cold here too in NJ. with me though it's a terrible flu. walking is an effort....all my muscles are screaming and I can't keep my head up...it is pounding. lot's of sneezing and a sore throat. i just can't seem to shake it but i won't take any meds besides tylenol for it as I know it is viral! I got one of those fever blisters above my lip!

oh well........more resting for me today....can't do much of anything else.

glad you are feeling better! :D

Yep, it's definitely gone. Whatever that was. I hope yours will be gone soon, too.

mela14 Enthusiast

Thanks,

still struggling though. whenver i get a bad virus it affects my fibromylagia and puts me in a flare. I feel like a mack truck ran me over! let's pray it dosn't last toooooooooooo long!

Sheely Apprentice
Thanks,

still struggling though. whenver i get a bad virus it affects my fibromylagia and puts me in a flare. I feel like a mack truck ran me over! let's pray it dosn't last toooooooooooo long!

Mel, I hope you're feeling better today! If you don't mind my asking, I saw in your signature that you were misdiagnosed with endometriosis. How did they misdiagnose you? Didn't they do an abdominal lap? Did you have the total hysterectomy because of that?

Sheila

Maryland

mela14 Enthusiast

They did a lap and accidentally severed an artery while they were in there which led to an emergency laporotomy. Everything happened so fast that I never questioned whether they found endo or not. Later....after many laps to repair the damage that was done during that surgery because of severe abdominal and pelvic adhesions....I was able to retrieve all my surgical reports and read ALL the pathology reports. All were negative for endo. I had surgery done by 2 of the top endo drs in THE WORLD and both said that they did not see any endo nor did they think that endo was the real problem. they both felt that it was GI and bladder related.

When I would go into the gyn's office and complain of pain, distention and fatigue they would say that it was endo. After they severed my artery they put me on Lupron to quiet things down and I felt a little better. But...then again I was not ovulating which was another problem for me as I formed large ovarian cysts. So...I think it was a lot of things but....knowing what I know now....my problems then were NOT endo related. I've had life long bladder problems and the diagnosis of Interstitial Cystitis did not come until a few years ago. I was also suffering with gluten intolerance but tht word was not even part of my vocabulary at the time and doctors never mentioned anything of the sort to me. Could the abdominal distention be a GI clue or pelvic pain be a bladder suspiscion????? you bet.....but I was told it was "little islands of endo flaring up!"

Having said that I am still suffering daily with bladder pain.

As for the hysterectomy???? the adhesions were so bad that everything was stuck to my uterus. I could not have bowel movements without having excruciating pain for days. It was horrific! My new gyn thought that I could also have adenomyosis which is endo in the walls of the uterus and the only treatment for that was removing the uterus. I was so digusted and in sooooo much pain that I just wanted everything out.

OH....the pathaology report for the adenomyosis of the uterus (after the hysterectomy) was also negative but they covered themselves by saying they could have just biopsied and area that did not have it as opposed to taking a biopsy of an area that had it.

After the hysterectomy the adhesions came back anyway and I needed another 2 surgeries. I think I am finally adhesions free. i traveled to Germany July 2004 to have adhesion surgery by a world famous dr who uses a technique and Barrier Gel that is not approved for gyn use in this country. I'ts almost a year and they haven't grown back. I feel quite hopeful that they are gone for good!

things aren't always back and white. I guess I learned the hard way. :(

Sheely Apprentice

Oh gosh, that's horrible, you've been through so much! I'm glad things seem to be stable now. I hope it stays that way!

Sheila

Wow :o this is a lot. I really do hope you feel better soon. This is awfull!

mela14 Enthusiast

thanks guys! coming along very slowly.....things take forever to get better....as soon as I get my strength back form this bug I have to drive to Philly for a bladder instillation............... ;)

Archived