This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question To Those Avoiding Dairy

srall

srall Contributor

I hope this question is okay here since it's not about gluten. And in fact it's not a question for me, it's about my 7 year old daughter. For several months now she's been getting D and I am narrowing it down to dairy. The latest carton of milk I've purchased is lactose free, but she still seems to be getting D. I don't eat dairy mostly because I don't miss it, and I'm so tired of testing my system, but I don't understand if those of us who are intolerant to dairy are having problems with the lactose or something else in the dairy product.

She really doesn't seem to have a problem with gluten so I don't think that's a problem (yet). I am very worried that we may have to drop dairy because she's such a picky little thing and I don't know how in the world she'd get her calcium

TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

Can she have soy? soymilk usually has a comparable amount of calcium. Also - many orange juices have calcium. Some soy cheeses also have calcium - (galaxy foods) but be sure to check because many soy cheeses don't.

burdee Enthusiast

I hope this question is okay here since it's not about gluten. And in fact it's not a question for me, it's about my 7 year old daughter. For several months now she's been getting D and I am narrowing it down to dairy. The latest carton of milk I've purchased is lactose free, but she still seems to be getting D. I don't eat dairy mostly because I don't miss it, and I'm so tired of testing my system, but I don't understand if those of us who are intolerant to dairy are having problems with the lactose or something else in the dairy product.

She really doesn't seem to have a problem with gluten so I don't think that's a problem (yet). I am very worried that we may have to drop dairy because she's such a picky little thing and I don't know how in the world she'd get her calcium

TIA

Lactose is milk sugar, which celiacs can't easily digest, because their intestinal villae are damaged. Dairy also contains casein, the milk protein, to which people can have immune reactions, either from IgE (immediate) or IgG or IgA (delayed reaction) mediated antibodies. If someone who reacts to milk also reacts to lactose free milk, they might have a dairy allergy. So they need to abstain from all forms of dairy products. Even goat's milk has some casein, though not as much as cow's milk. So many people with diagnosed casein (IgG) allergies also react to goat's milk.

Milk is NOT the best source of calcium, despite the dairy industry's ad campaign. Better sources are sesame seeds, dark green vegies like brocolli and kale, canned seafood with bones (salmon or sardines). However Vitamin D and magnesium are equally important for strong bone formation. So foods containing all three components are more important for bone health than just dairy products.

sickchick Community Regular

Sesame seeds have more calcium than dairy- I love sesame seeds!!! :) I make sesame seed cookies! HAHAHA

Good luck, Doll! B)

sickchick

Takala Enthusiast

I just avoid lactose and still eat cheese and sometimes yogurt, and sometimes ice cream. I avoided all dairy for awhile when I first changed my diet, then tried re introducing cheese slowly when I noticed that cheese cheating as a garnish didn't bother me. I do much better on organic cheese with no growth hormone junk. I'm part northern European so that is why I probably can still do this. Developing a lactose intolerance is one of the signs of celiac/gluten intolerance.

Children can usually digest milk up until teenager/young adult time, depending on what ethnicity and what genes they have, then they lose the ability to handle lactose. This is normal. My spouse is more Irish/German, and can still handle regular milk on his cereal 20 years after I started having problems with it. B)

There are lots of alternatives sources of calcium if your daughter has to give up all dairy. Many of the boxed alternative milk substitutes such as nut or seed milks are also calcium fortified, and some are flavored. There are also cheese substitutes, like the cream cheese tofutti stuff. Try taking her off and see what happens. You can then try reintroducing something like real aged cheese or fage yogurt and see what happens, if the upset re occurs, you have your answer.

Looking for answers Contributor

I agree with the above posters, milk is not a good source of calcium. I don't drink it and my calcium levels are perfect (thx to veggies and sesame seeds). Sorry to contradict the other above poster, but I wouldn't give a child soy milk. A lot of research has come out that giving children soy results in premature menstruation and a host of other hormonal issues. Just google for more information.

srall Contributor

I very much appreciate everyone's advice, and for answering my question. I too believe that there are far better sources than dairy for calcium; I just can't get the child to eat spinach or broccoli. The fortified oj will probably work with her...that's a good suggestion. Hopefully she can still do cheeses. It seems like it's mostly milk and definitely ice cream. I'm Northern European descent and her father is a good ol' American mutt...don't know what that means for her. Soy is so evil for me; I am a little nervous to give it to a little girl. I don't mean to brush anyone's advice aside...I know there are wonderful sources of calcium....I have them all in my diet. She just refuses to eat just about everything. It's so frustrating. If anybody else can think of some other "picky kid friendly" food I'd be much obliged. I'm so grateful for the responses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenCanKissMyButt Newbie

I very much appreciate everyone's advice, and for answering my question. I too believe that there are far better sources than dairy for calcium; I just can't get the child to eat spinach or broccoli. The fortified oj will probably work with her...that's a good suggestion. Hopefully she can still do cheeses. It seems like it's mostly milk and definitely ice cream. I'm Northern European descent and her father is a good ol' American mutt...don't know what that means for her. Soy is so evil for me; I am a little nervous to give it to a little girl. I don't mean to brush anyone's advice aside...I know there are wonderful sources of calcium....I have them all in my diet. She just refuses to eat just about everything. It's so frustrating. If anybody else can think of some other "picky kid friendly" food I'd be much obliged. I'm so grateful for the responses.

Hi srall, you and the other posters are right about dairy not being a good source of calcium. I recently pulled both my girls off milk and most dairy and we tried coconut milk (SO delicious brand)and almond milk. They love them both! even the non flavored kind. I would recommend these over the OJ only because OJ has so much sugar. The nut milks are low sugar even with some added and low in carbs. Soy is definitely not an appropriate food for anyone really because of how it disrupts estrogen balance.

I wish I could help on how to get her to eat her broccoli or spinach. My girls love broccoli with butter and S+P and one of them will eat spinach. I just kept offering and offering until they decided they like it. Maybe try some kind of dipping sauce for steamed broccoli and add spinach to eggs or soups that she already likes? You can add broccoli to rice so it breaks up really small or try a broccoli and cheese soup if she can still do cheese (hopefully!)Good luck.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

SickChick needs to post her sesame cookie recipe! I bet a little girl could eat a few of those every now and again. I'm thinking they are probably better for me than the brownies sitting in my pantry.

Skylark Collaborator

TIA

There are different kinds of milk reactions, casein, whey, or lactose. Whey allergies are relatively uncommon so she is probably reacting to casein.

Sometimes people who can't tolerate cow dairy can eat goat or sheep dairy. Goat's milk is not as mild flavored as cow's milk but it's worth a shot. You can also find goat cheeses like gouda and cheddar that don't have the strong flavor of soft goat cheese. I think Whole Foods has goat yogurt as well. If all else fails, you can give her one of the gummy calcium supplements like Li'l Critters. My super-picky nephew loves his gummy vitamins.

kwylee Apprentice

Yes, yes, yes! It would appear that your question about dairy was gluten related after all! I am gluten intolerant but tested neg for lactose intolerance. Found out it was the CASEIN in dairy that was affecting me, makes me feel just as bad as gluten does. So, I don't ingest either and I'm much happier!

LOVE the hint about the sesame seeds.

srall Contributor

We'll try the almond and coconut milk. I gave her the lactose free milk again and she had two bouts of diarrhea. So we're done.

I told her she must eat spinach and broccoli to get her calcium...and she actually ate a spinach salad for breakfast. I almost fainted. I think since she's seen me be so diligent about my diet maybe I am rubbing off on her?

Again, thanks for the wonderful advice.

Marilyn R Community Regular

We'll try the almond and coconut milk. I gave her the lactose free milk again and she had two bouts of diarrhea. So we're done.

I told her she must eat spinach and broccoli to get her calcium...and she actually ate a spinach salad for breakfast. I almost fainted. I think since she's seen me be so diligent about my diet maybe I am rubbing off on her?

Again, thanks for the wonderful advice.

I hope you'll offer her peanut butter and banana with a drizzle of honey and sprinkle of cinnamon or PB and sliced apple for breakfast tomorrow. You could wrap that in a warmed corn tortillia if she'd go for that.

You probably already know this, but allergists recommend that you don't repeat the same foods within three days in order to avoid yet another food allergy. (Like spinach.) :)

I wish you and your DD all the best.

MelindaLee Contributor

SickChick needs to post her sesame cookie recipe! I bet a little girl could eat a few of those every now and again. I'm thinking they are probably better for me than the brownies sitting in my pantry.

I second this!! :lol:

MelindaLee Contributor

Since we're talking about lactose/casin issues...I have a questions for all you out there. I have only been gluten free for a month now, but have noticed a HUGE difference (YEAH) I have noticed after having my morning coffee (usually with some type of creamer) I am getting pains in my stomach. Usually it doesn't cause intestinal issues. Today I had Soy creamer (just 'cause that's what I had and I couldn't let it go to waste) and I really noticed an issue. Could this be a soy issue??? Unfortunately I also had a latte...so I had milk as well. I will have to isolate to figure it out but wondering about the reaction.

Monklady123 Collaborator

I am lactose intolerant, at least for now. I'm hoping I might be able to go back to it after my intestines heal. I can eat yogurt and hard cheese, thankfully!

Could you try some different yogurt? Not cow's milk, I mean.

Also, for now the answer may be calcium supplements. When my dd was little I always gave them to her (after asking the doctor) because she was never a milk drinker and I didn't want to have to worry if she was getting enough from other sources. And she wouldn't have eaten a spinach leaf if her life depended on it! lol... They make some yummy chewy calcium supplements, like gummy bears but a slightly different consistence. I love them and have been taking them every day since I went off of milk. They're really kids' vitamins though, so I just eat a few more. lol..

Since we're talking about lactose/casin issues...I have a questions for all you out there. I have only been gluten free for a month now, but have noticed a HUGE difference (YEAH) I have noticed after having my morning coffee (usually with some type of creamer) I am getting pains in my stomach. Usually it doesn't cause intestinal issues. Today I had Soy creamer (just 'cause that's what I had and I couldn't let it go to waste) and I really noticed an issue. Could this be a soy issue??? Unfortunately I also had a latte...so I had milk as well. I will have to isolate to figure it out but wondering about the reaction.

Melinda, I found out about my intolerance to soy by having an itsy bitsy container of soy yogurt one day, got sick, recovered and then made a tuna salad prepared with gluten-free Hellmans two days later. It was a double whammy! I wish you luck. I've felt 99% better since eliminating soy and derivitives from my diet. :)

MelindaLee Contributor

Melinda, I found out about my intolerance to soy by having an itsy bitsy container of soy yogurt one day, got sick, recovered and then made a tuna salad prepared with gluten-free Hellmans two days later. It was a double whammy! I wish you luck. I've felt 99% better since eliminating soy and derivitives from my diet. :)

Thanks for the info. I will have to try to figure out what is causing the trouble. It's ironic... a month ago, I don't think I would have noticed...I would have thought it was all just "normal" irregularity in my system and would have just ignored it. :blink: I have learned that ignorance is NOT bliss! :rolleyes:

Sorry I didn't include this in my earlier post. I ultimately gave up dairy too. Evidently the protein in wheat, soy and dairy (and quinoa) are very similar. I don't know why some people can tolerate soy and/or dairy but not gluten, whereas others keep developing more food intolerances. Perhaps it has something to do with early intervention/diagnosis. All I know is that my body goes into Darth Vadar mode when I digest or ingest anything with those proteins or their derivitives.

Happpily, I've seen testimonials on this forum that indicate that food groups that were previously a problem can be reintroduced after a period of time. (Months vs. weeks.) Of the 3, to me soy is the toughest one to knock out of your diet. Soy has permeated our food suppl

I wish you good health. :)

kayo Explorer

I'm dairy, soy and gluten intolerant too. I take a calcium/magnesium and a vitamin d supplement. The Trader Joe's chewable gummy bear calcium and D vitamins are great. Meant for kids but I double the dose. They're gluten, dairy, fructose and soy free.

I use hemp milk and coconut milk (both fortified) for most of my 'milk' needs. I've also made cashew milk before and it was wonderful.

I make an awesome pesto with spinach that is great on pasta, chicken, etc. It makes a great dip and sandwich spread too.

1 bag of baby spinach (blanched to hold color)

1/2 cup (more or less) walnuts (or other nut you like)

1/2 jalapeno (or alternative pepper, or none if you prefer)

1/2 cup (more or less) lt. olive oil

s & p

Blend in food processor.

It's a super versatile recipe. There's no basil in my recipe but you can certainly add it. You can add garlic too. I sometimes add toasted pine nuts and a bit of lemon juice after it's blended. You could toss in sesame seed or tahini too for more calcium. I may do that next time.

quincy Contributor

Lactose is milk sugar, which celiacs can't easily digest, because their intestinal villae are damaged. Dairy also contains casein, the milk protein, to which people can have immune reactions, either from IgE (immediate) or IgG or IgA (delayed reaction) mediated antibodies. If someone who reacts to milk also reacts to lactose free milk, they might have a dairy allergy. So they need to abstain from all forms of dairy products. Even goat's milk has some casein, though not as much as cow's milk. So many people with diagnosed casein (IgG) allergies also react to goat's milk.

Milk is NOT the best source of calcium, despite the dairy industry's ad campaign. Better sources are sesame seeds, dark green vegies like brocolli and kale, canned seafood with bones (salmon or sardines). However Vitamin D and magnesium are equally important for strong bone formation. So foods containing all three components are more important for bone health than just dairy products.

All my attempts to reintroduce dairy have failed since being dx'd in April 2010 w celiac disease. I have told my GI doc several times that even yogurt and hard cheese will make me sick. not right away sick, but within a few days, the celiac disease symptoms are aggrevated. My last attempt I wound up with a fever for 2 days and horrible D a few days after that.

Is this the fat or lactose in dairy or the casein. I have asked my doc to test me for Casein intoloerance, but no success in getting my doc to agree, she says one dx at a time. So I have just been avoiding dairy in any form to avoid getting symptoms.

what is the specific antigen test for Casein? I might ask my other doc to run the test/s?

srall Contributor

I like that pesto recipe. I do one with pine nuts and basil (and spinach) that I really like too. I actually can get the little one to eat that occasionally too. So that's a good reminder.

I'll get to Trader Joe's this week!

Thank you SO MUCH for the recipe Kayo. Yay! :)

Archived