This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Lobster Gluten Free Items

Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Here is the email I recieved from Red Lobster. I do like that they tell us when to check back with them so we know when this list is outdated. Also be sure to email them so you get the lastest update. I was interested in the Endless Shrimp they are featuring now.

Thu, September 9, 2010 3:53:45 PMRed Lobster Case ID: 841618

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 09, 2010

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your interest in Red Lobster; it is always a pleasure to hear from our guests.

The menu items listed below do not contain wheat/gluten as an ingredient (includes all cooking sauces, condiments and fixed accompaniments).

Red Lobster has made every effort to ensure that the allergen information provided above is accurate. However, because of the handcrafted nature of our menu items, the variety of procedures used in our kitchens and our reliance on our suppliers, we can make no guarantees of its accuracy and disclaim liability for the use of this information. If you have any questions about this information, please ask to speak with a restaurant manager. This information is only valid through October 11, 2010. If you are dining after October 11, please contact us again for updated accurate information.

MENU ITEM LEGEND:

* Menu Item contains a Fried component (risk of cross contamination of all allergens)

**Menu item contains a Grilled component (risk of cross contamination of all allergens)

***Menu item contains a Fried and Grilled component (risk of cross contamination of all allergens)

SEASIDE STARTERS

Lobster Nachos*

REGIONAL APPETIZERS

Buffalo Chicken Wings*

DINNER ENTREES

North Pacific King Crab Legs

Snow Crab Legs

Create Your Own Feast - Garlic Shrimp Scampi

Create Your Own Feast - Steamed Snow Crab Legs

Create Your Own Feast - Wood-Grilled Fresh Fish**

Shrimp Your Way/Shrimp Lover's Monday & Tuesday - Scampi*

LUNCH ENTREES

Farm-Raised Catfish - Blackened

Garlic Shrimp Scampi

Shrimp and Wood-Grilled Chicken - Garlic Shrimp Scampi (with wild rice pilaf)**

Create Your Own Lunch - Garlic Shrimp Scampi

REGIONAL LUNCH ENTREES

Walleye - Blackened

KID'S MENU

Grilled Chicken**

Snow Crab Legs

DESSERTS

New York-Style Cheesecake with Strawberries

Surf's Up Sundae

ADD-ON/ACCOMPANIMENTS

Add Petite Shrimp to Your Salad

Baked Potato

Coleslaw

French Fries*

Freshly Cooked Potato Chips* (where available)

Home-Style Mashed Potatoes

Maine Lobster Tail Add-On - Roasted

North Pacific King Crab Legs Add-On

Snow Crab Legs Add-On

DRESSINGS/SAUCES

100% Pure Melted Butter

Add Butter to Baked Potato

Add Sour Cream to Baked Potato

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Blue Cheese Dressing

Caesar Dressing

French Dressing

Honey Mustard Dressing

Ketchup

Pico de Gallo

Ranch Dressing

Red Wine Vinaigrette

Tartar Sauce

Thousand Island Dressing

PROMOTIONAL ITEMS - ENDLESS SHRIMP

Garlic Shrimp Scampi

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Wanda

Senior Guest Relations Representative

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or privileged. Any unauthorized review, use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, please notify sender of the delivery error by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of confidentiality or privilege.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I will question the cheesecake. Not so sure that's really gluten free.

kareng Grand Master

The fact that they put cheesecake on there would make me question the whole list. Most cheesecake has a Graham cracker crust. If they think that is gluten-free, then who knows what other mistakes hey have on the menu above. Maybe you could send a message back for clarification.

Just looked at the website and the pic of the cheesecake looks like it has no crust.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I also question the buffalo chicken wings!!

Rissmeek Newbie

Cheesecake would be iffy because of the crust but true cheesecake is crustless, it's baked to form a crust by itself.

Buffalo wings, if made the true way would also be gluten-free. Baked chicken wings tossed in red-hot sauce (Tabasco) and butter shouldn't be an issue.

Red Lobster used to be connected to General Mills. It doesn't surprise me they are doing more with a gluten free menu.

cassP Contributor

ya- buffalo wings could totally be fine- it just depends on how each place makes it- but it can be done.

some blue cheese is made with wheat, and some is not.

i hope this list is accurate- if so,im a very verry happy girl... and Red Lobster's 1000 island has always been my favorite!!! :P

Skylark Collaborator

The ingredients of real Buffalo Wings are gluten-free. The problem is always the shared fryer. Traditionally they are deep fried and then coated in a sauce made from butter and tabasco. It drives me nuts when places bother to list stuff from shared fryers. Don't they understand that it's not even remotely gluten-free or safe??? Don't put a * by it on your stupid menu. Take it off the list.

Thanks for posting, though. I didn't think there was anything at all that I could eat there. Salad, garlic shrimp scampi, and mashed potatoes with cheesecake for dessert sounds like a perfectly lovely meal. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

. It drives me nuts when places bother to list stuff from shared fryers. Don't they understand that it's not even remotely gluten-free or safe??? Don't put a * by it on your stupid menu. Take it off the list.

if we're not sensitive to cross contamination- is it ok? or are we still damaging our villi??

AND- ya- it was nice to see when i went to PeiWei that they are educated & serious, and use a brand new fryer for gluten free orders :)

Skylark Collaborator

if we're not sensitive to cross contamination- is it ok? or are we still damaging our villi??

It's not OK. All the good dietitian celiac sites say to avoid foods from shared fryers.

I've gotten sick from "shared fryer" french fries. I can't find any information as far as gluten testing on french fries, but my body says they sometimes contain quite a bit of gluten.

kareng Grand Master

AND- ya- it was nice to see when i went to PeiWei that they are educated & serious, and use a brand new fryer for gluten free orders :)

I have heard that gluten is damaging us even if we don't feel it. For some, it might take a good amount of damage before it " hurts". Its like a leaky roof. Some peoples roofs leak and drip on them while they are in bed and it's obvious, right away, the damage that is occurring. Some roofs leak and the water goes down inside the walls. It gets moldy and months later your house is condemned.

kareng Grand Master

Psilly iPad! It liked my story so much it posted twice!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I have heard that gluten is damaging us even if we don't feel it. For some, it might take a good amount of damage before it " hurts". Its like a leaky roof. Some peoples roofs leak and drip on them while they are in bed and it's obvious, right away, the damage that is occurring. Some roofs leak and the water goes down inside the walls. It gets moldy and months later your house is condemned.

Excellent!

cassP Contributor

i do know that it can damage us even if we dont feel a reaction...

i was just curious because i see people on here discuss using different collanders & cooking tools because of CC...

and i dont know- maybe i have additional reactions to other carbs... but im WONDERING if there's more gluten in "gluten free" flours & treats than in cross contamination in a fryer or kitchen???

idk

Michelle1234 Contributor

I've had their cheesecake. It is crustless and gluten free. For the main meal I had their grilled chicken, broccoli and mashed potatoes. It was a nice meal and no glutening. I think they cooked the chicken in a separate pan. I've eaten at two different Red Lobsters and had great success at both. Both times the servers checked everything carefully with the manager and could answer all my questions about preparation. I was very suspicious they were just cutting the crust off the cheesecake but they weren't. It really was crustless and gluten free.

Michelle

Skylark Collaborator

i do know that it can damage us even if we dont feel a reaction...

i was just curious because i see people on here discuss using different collanders & cooking tools because of CC...

and i dont know- maybe i have additional reactions to other carbs... but im WONDERING if there's more gluten in "gluten free" flours & treats than in cross contamination in a fryer or kitchen???

idk

Haven't you ever cleaned out a fryer that's had a lot of breading in it? There's usually a solid layer of crumbs on the bottom and bits of breading floating everywhere in the oil. The heat convection and bubbling in the fryer keeps the crumbs nicely suspended during cooking too. I can't imagine foods that come out of a restaurant fryer that's had onion rings or breaded foods in it all day are consistently below 20 ppm. Judging by how sick I've gotten from french fries sometimes when I was first learning the diet, I'd say there can sometimes be a LOT of gluten on fries.

I agree with you about more typical kitchen CC vs. our 10-20 ppm "gluten-free" treats. I replaced my cutting boards, but to be honest they needed replacing. Of course some people do react to the "gluten-free" baked treats too. I imagine they're the ones needing to worry about kitchen CC and everything else.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Go ahead and enjoy the cheesecake. It is crustless. Here is the email I received today:

September 10, 2010

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your interest in Red Lobster; it is always a pleasure to hear from our guests.

I have researched your inquiry regarding the New York Style Cheesecake and learned that it is crustless.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Sincerely,

Wanda

Senior Guest Relations Representative

cassP Contributor

i only deep fried at home once- tried to make my own onion rings with rice flour. i didnt pay attention to how the crumbs mess with everything... but thanks for explaining.

i dont have gluten reactions to "gluten free" treats- but ive had an allergic reaction to one of Kinninnick's mixes.. and i generally feel FAT if i eat sugar & carbs.

i am however PARANOID- with all the recent articles ive seen on how they found 1000ppm of gluten in "gluten free" flours... maybe not the labeled ones.. idk.. but i remember they mentioned Soy flour- and i used to love to bake with Soy flour :(

Skylark Collaborator

I think that study made us all paranoid. :(

• 2 weeks later...
TiffersAnn Apprentice

This is the best explanation I have ever seen! It definitely helps explain that people are all different, but still the same. Thanks for this.

Archived