5 replies to this topic

#1 mweinand

mweinand

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

I have been recently dignosed with Celiac. I am having a terrible time eliminating gluten from my diet and my willpower is almost nothing. However I do have a question about foot pain.

For about a week I have had terrible foot pain. The padded cushiony part right below my toes. (Sorry that probably sounds stupid).

My question is, could this be Celiac related? If yes, any ideas for comfort?

Thanks -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

I don't know if it is for sure celiac related, but when I stopped eating gluten and started taking D, B-complex and fish oil, my D was very low so I had an Rx for that to start with, I have felt so much better. I had terrible foot pain for several months. I could barely stand or walk. Have you had your vitamin levels checked to see if you are low in any? The best thing to do about the food is give all the gluteny stuff away, don't keep it in your house. Try to not get stuck on the things you can't have. There are replacements for almost everything. There is also a lot of things that are naturally gluten free. For the foot pain, I liked cold on my feet or massage them with a menthol cream.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

Since Celiac causes inflammation it could be related but it also could be something entirely unrelated. If the pain is bad you may want to see a podiatrist (foot doctor) who may be able to tell you what the pain is from and possibly do something to alleviate it.
You also need to get strict with the diet, you are not doing yourself any favors by not following it. There is a lot of naturally gluten free food and it is good to start out with whole unprocessed foods in the beginning. You may also be going through a bit of withdrawl and that will not resolve if you are on and off with the diet. Just about anything you can find with gluten can be found without. If you need suggestions for replacements for your favorite gluten stuff just ask. There are many good items out there. Also if you live somewhere that has a Wegmans they label all their name brand foods that are safe for us.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

i DID in fact read somewhere a few years ago- that some Celiacs can lose some of the fatty foot padding under the feet.
i totally had this... completely gone now
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#5 Kris in NE

Kris in NE

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have foot pain there also! I am also type I diabetic and also am on thyroid replacment. So there may be several causes. I have had some neuropathy symptoms before diagnosed. I have severe discomfort in my heels. Wondering about heel spurs.

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

I did have a lot of foot pain that when away on the gluten free diet. I used every sort of insert possible but nothing worked. I went from being able to walk for miles to barely being able to walk around the block. I'm sure glad that went away. After diagnosis I was able to run a 5K. I hope yours goes away too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: