This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick Days Vs Glutened Days

curiousgirl

curiousgirl Contributor

When we have a cold or the flu, it's always wise to REST and drink plenty of fluids...maybe taking some cold medication....and recovery will be faster.

So, when we're glutened, will rest, fluids, advil help us recover faster? Or, does it make any difference?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know if it shortens the recovery time, but I know resting helps and should be recommended. Our bodies' immune systems are attacking the gluten and putting extra stress on the body won't help the immune system. Thats just my opinion though. I would love to know if there are any studies done on this issue or the more technical medical info behind why it could be true.

Marilyn R Community Regular

In mho, anything that helps move the toxins out of your body should be pursued. On a thread last week, someone mentioned that they work out to sweat it out. That makes sense. Drinking plenty of fluids makes sense. I posted this... I like a detox bath I read about in a book checked out from the library on autoimmune diseases: Fill your bathtub with the hottest water you can stand and 1-2 cups epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda. Soak for as long as you can tolerate, apply sesame oil to the soles of your feet, put on socks and go to bed.

My guess is that chicken soup is good too...it's good for everything, isn't it?

So...my plan for my next "event" is work out, drink up, soak, sleep and think positive.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I usually pound back green tea and water, and try to sleep. Also I hate the throwing up and D, but I find that the faster that happens the better I feel so if I am at home I never take immodium (different story if I get glutened when I'm out!). I don't think I would be able to work out when glutened, but a hot bath might help with the pain of bloating and such.

GFinDC Veteran

I get C when glutened and then D after a day or two. So I take some milk of magnesia to start the D sooner and clear the junk out faster. And drink plenty of water. After the clean out I might do some Pepto Bismol to soothe things and some L-Glutamine. And then eventually some sleep also.

K8ling Enthusiast

I honestly treat it the same only when I get glutened I use painkillers for the cramping. When I am sick to my stomach I use anti nausea. I pound green tea and water and gatorade and rice and chicken broth.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I honestly treat it the same only when I get glutened I use painkillers for the cramping. When I am sick to my stomach I use anti nausea. I pound green tea and water and gatorade and rice and chicken broth.

If those painkillers are narcotic (like vicoden), they can cause constipation. I too find that the faster the "meal" has exited my body, the faster I can start recovering. Over the counter pain killers don't cause constipation though, so I'm all for that. I also like Benadryl or Tylenol PM (same ingredients). It helps me physically feel better and sleep through the worst of the pain. Probably not the healthiest of habits, but I feel so desperate when I'm glutened.

As far as sleep, personally, I find that the harder I push myself, the worse the migraine and body pain gets. If I sleep, work, nap, work, nap, cook, go to bed early, I'm more productive and comfortable. I'm also less cranky. I lose my appetite when glutened, so I stay hydrated and force in a protien shake and some electrolytes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Thanks for the good advice, everyone. I need it today! I had turkey piccadia over brown rice with a side of plantains earlier today at WF ... the first time I haven't eaten something I prepared myself in weeks! Now I have D. (It could be from soy or gluten, but usually my throat feels like it's closing up when I have soy, so it must be gluten cc.)

I drove 35 miles to WF to get UDI bread (read the rave reviews on the forum) and buckwheat flour. My "local" store didn't stock either one of them. I spent $99 on two bags of groceries, but got sunflower oil, coconut aminos (to try instead of tamari sauce so we can enjoy stir fries again) some gluten-free Soy Free lipstick and etc. And lots of Lara Bars in flavors that aren't available in my town.

So...off to soak in the tub, sleep and be happy that I have tomorrow to recover before going back to work. Which brings to mind that if we're going to try something new, we should do it on a Friday to allow for recovery (presuming a M-F workweek). This is a taa daa moment for me...I'll try those coconut aminos on Friday!

Regarding C when you get glutened...this isn't something that happens to me, but a very effective natural treatment is 2 oz of warmed prune juice once a day. That is the advice I receive from the elderly peeps I work with that swear by it. One 88 year old lady left rehab AMA (against medical advice) just to go home and have her warmed up prune juice because she hadn't had a BM in four days in spite of medical intervention. She said if she'd stayed there another day or two, she was certain she'd have a bowel obstruction. :angry:

Wishing everyone many good gluten-free days ahead... :rolleyes:

srall Contributor

So...off to soak in the tub, sleep and be happy that I have tomorrow to recover before going back to work. Which brings to mind that if we're going to try something new, we should do it on a Friday to allow for recovery (presuming a M-F workweek). This is a taa daa moment for me...I'll try those coconut aminos on Friday!

Wishing everyone many good gluten-free days ahead... :rolleyes:

I do this...I tend to take bigger risks when I know I don't have to do much the next day.

bridgetm Enthusiast

When I eat out, it's usually a Friday; it's just more convenient in many ways.

Over the summer, when I was unemployed, I was a bit daring at restaurants. I've been back on campus for 4 weeks now and have only eaten out once in that time... and I went back to my hometown to do it at a restaurant I'd already tested a few times.

If only I could have tested out the caf over the summer... :(

Archived