This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Plus No Dairy

karenwinslow1

karenwinslow1 Newbie

:( I just got back from the doctor with my 9 year old daughter, Elisa. She was dairy free for 3 yrs prior to Feb. 2005. Then we discovered that she had Celiac Disease, so we adjusted her diet to accommodate no gluten. The doctor said we could gradually reinttoduce dairy and we did. She was doing great until last week. Stomach cramps started up again. At first I thought I had given her something that was contaminated with gluten (in fact I wrote to this chat line for advice about Mac & Cheese and received many helpful ideas!).

After being very cautious she was still having the symptoms. She has been eating ice cream and yogurt like crazy with the summer heat. I took her back to the doctor today. He found nothing physical wrong after checking her abdomen and recommended removing dairy from her diet again for 10 days to see if the symptoms subside . . . if so we know that it is the culprit and will need to eliminate it along with the gluten.

My daughter is very sad and so am I.

I am trying to regroup and figure out what items (besides fruits, vegetables, meat and fish) are out there . . . especially for breakfast and snacks . . . . that don't involve gluten and dairy.

If any of you have experience with this situation I would appreciate any advice and tips you have to offer.

Kind regards,

Karen Winslow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

FOr breakfast you could try FlaxJacks which are oancake things, I think that they are dairy free but I am not sure. I just used up the bag and threw it out.

For snacks you can get plain Frito-Lay products w/ no milk/cheese/stuff, and look on their gluten-free list and find out which are good, they also have a lactose free list. hmmmmmm... Fruits are always good, and amy's meals, some are vegan and gluten-free which would be good for lactose free. I'm not sure what else.

stomica Rookie

Hi! Well, we did the no dairy, no gluten diet for several months with my 3 1/2 year old daughter. It was tough, but not impossible. Actually, I found it harder to keep the dairy out of her diet than gluten! Anyway, what about soy ice cream and soy yogurt? My daughter wouldn't eat the soy yogurt at first, but now she loves it. I basically just mixed it with regular yogurt...over the course of a week I had phased out the regular stuff. She loves the Silk Vanilla yogurt, which I find at Whole Foods. I'm not sure if Tofutti brand ice cream is gluten free, but my daughter loves it. I eat it occaionally as well. Especially the chocolate. Anyway, hope that helps! Good luck!

Sue

Carriefaith Enthusiast
If any of you have experience with this situation I would appreciate any advice and tips you have to offer.
I am also gluten and dairy free and I don't feel deprived at all. Actually, if I was told I could have dairy again, I probably wouldn't eat it, it just isn't appetizing to me anymore. Some ideas:

For a milk replacement try So Good soy milk (it is gluten free), I love it and you can get different flavours. You can use this milk on gluten-free cereal, in baking and just for fun. They also have very yummy ice creams!

Open Original Shared Link

Amy's Kitchen makes gluten-free and dairy free meals

So you're probably wondering what I eat B)

For breakfast I usually have gluten-free waffles or gluten-free toast with peanut butter, a fruit to go bar and orange juice. But you could also have gluten-free cereal with soy milk.

For lunch I have tuna salad gluten-free sandwiches, Thai kitchen gluten-free dinners, amy's dinners, left overs from supper, gluten-free pasta and ragu sauce.

For Dinner I have had the following (gluten and dairy free of course!):

Stir fries galore

Flavored veggies, with soy sauce or gluten-free Kraft dressings and spices

Chili

Meat n' potatoes, and veggies

pizza with no cheese

tacos (soft and hard shells)

spaghetti

homemade chinese food

curry

salads (pasta salads and green salads)

french fries

soup

and more I just can't remember everything!

If you would like recipes I will gladly help

:)

tamara Newbie

Don't forget about corn chips and salsa. Sorbet should be milk free, but my Haagen Daas label says it might be contaminated with milk protein. However, I am able to tolerate it, the mango sorbet is soooooo good. You can also make your own sorbet which would be fun in summer. I also like to slice up a Fuji apple and dip it in peanut butter for a snack. Would she like lettuce wraps? I eat oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins for breakfast or gluten free cereals with soymilk. I am anxious to hear other member suggestions, as I run out of appealing ideas myself.

oliviasmommy Newbie

I'm glad you posted this. Tomorrow my daughter goes in for her testing for Celiac and if it comes back positive then were in the same boat. She is off all milk products and that alone is hard to follow.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You said she was eating the dairy a LOT. Maybe it was just more than she can handle. My son needed to be dairy free for 9 months after being diagnosed with Celiac. We tried a little dairy at 6 months, but he wasn't healed yet. Sometimes certain dairys are the problem. Maybe she can handle hard cheeses but not whole milk. Considering what you wrote, I'd go dairy free for a few months then slowly introduce controlled portions and certain varieties of dairy to see where the problems are.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

What about soy milk?

I'm Gluten-free Casein-free, and while the CF part is - I think - harder sometimes, you do get used to it. But you'll find alternatives. The basic stuff you have there - meat, produce, and gluten-free grains is really all you need. Fruit and veggies make a great snack, as do leftovers and gluten-free pancakes/waffles/muffins. (Soy/rice/nut milks work find in those recipes, for the most part. And many work fine with just water if those are out as well.)

Some things I often have for snacks/breakfast:

rice cakes w/ peanut butter

fruit

nuts

chips & salsa

veggies

gluten-free dry cereal (dry)

smoothies (with or without soymilk)

soy yogurt

Guest Eloisa

Try those Philly Swirls, Italian Ices - Wallmart and Sams has them. They are dairy free and gluten free. I buy them for me but my kids love them so much we keep running out of them. They are so delicious.

key Contributor

I would think the ice cream and milk would give her the most problems. I think that I would try and go dairy free for ten days and then see if she may be able to tolerate yogurt or some cheese. You said she was eating alot and alot of people without celiac can't tolerate alot of dairy.

I know it is hard. We don't eat gluten or meat and I try and give him only small amounts of dairy.

MOnica

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

I know somebody's probably said this already on your mac/cheese thread, but just in case they haven't ---- the damage that gluten has done to your daughter's intestinal villi can also make her temporarily unable to process dairy foods as well. (The very tip of the villi has the responsibility of doing that; if her villi are partly or completely gone...you get my drift) My son was very ill and it took about 12 months before we even were allowed to try dairy -- and then in only small amounts. But he has TONS of it now :) Her villi will repair themselves in time.

It is very sad, and I don't blame you for being bummed. Focus on the possibility of it only being temporary. Buy lots of Philly Swirl stuff. Try all the soy milks -- they do taste different. Make it a taste-testing game, get into it and give them ratings, involve the family, use blindfolds! I drink Silk, plain, but it also comes in nifty kid-friendly strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. (My dad is lactose intolerant and puts JUICE on his cereal!) A lot of kids prefer Almond Breeze, which comes in chocolate and plain and is good, too. Give her a little time to grieve and then try some other stuff.

You might also ask if she can have Breyer's Lactose Free vanilla ice cream!! (Sometimes with doctors you have to learn to negotiate a middle ground) In the end, healthy tastes better than any food (but go ahead and feel cheated for a bit!)

good luck

Joanna

mom/wife to celiacs

Jnkmnky Collaborator

My son drank the chocolate flavored silk until he was healed. I figured with all the things he couldn't have, why NOT let him have chocolate "milk"?! Just keep it upbeat. You don't want to pass disappointments on to a child who will be living with this disease their whole life. It's a tricky balance for a parent.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Yes, the silk chocolate milk is good and same with the So Good chocolate milk.

key Contributor

My son is newly diagnosed too and I was cutting out dairy, but thought maybe he was doing ok with it, but now I am back to thinking he isn't. Now I am going to have to come up with some more new foods that are dairy free. He already is on a soy formula and I add the very vanilla to it. THe Whole SOY brand yogurt is good I think. Better then the silk brand in my opinion. Also my kids don't know the difference between Rice cheese and regular. Soy works too for adding to pancakes, etc. Also soy icecream my kids don't know the difference yet. Tofutti sour cream is pretty good. Not as good to me, but if you need a replacement.

Good luck,

MOnica

jenvan Collaborator

Karen-

I am not cf yet myself (but might be after I get my food intolerance test back yet.) I have a friend who eats no dairy and says she really like the nut milks and nut cheeses. Haven't tried them myself...

Also, you could try this website: Open Original Shared Link It was initiated for those who children are gluten-free/cf due to autism, but the rules and information are the same, and very helpful, with guides, product lists, links etc.

Good luck!

Oh--Philly Swirls are good to.... They have gluten, dairy and nut free varieties.

hsd1203 Newbie

I found looking at gluten-free/cf asd (autism spectrum) websites was really helpful. There are a bunch of things out there that are gluten-free cf... I added a lot of nuts to add protein, and rice milk (pacific) instead of regular milk. I dont do oats, so bobs red mill hot cereals (rice, corn grits, and a mixed variety) were a nice morning treat, great with some chopped up fruit, nuts, and rice milk. Also if you want something to put on toast/popcorn you can consider using ghee. it is lactose and casien free butter... really just the butterfat. oh, and foods by george makes really tasty gluten-free cf brownies. edy's/dryers fruit bars are gluten-free cf too, and they're great.

I know soy is an option, but be cautious, it makes me more sick than dairy, which took me a few weeks of getting even sicker to figure out.

good luck!

jmj0803 Apprentice

Did your doctor say remove DAIRY or is your daughter LACTOSE intolerant. My daughter is lactose intolerant and that eliminates most dairy. I give her LACTAID milk 2% or fat free (they are not as sweet) LACTAID ICE CREAM (vanilla, double chocolate and mint chocolate chip), for margarine I use FLEISCHMANN'S UNSALTED it is lactose free. and LACTAID white american singles. If you ask your grocery store they will usually add this inventory if they do not already carry it. Hope this helps!

Matilda Enthusiast

tarnalberry Community Regular

peanut butter should be nothing but peanuts and salt. it's called 'butter' because it's ground to something that has the consistency of butter. (same thing for other nut butters like almond and soy.)

I tested goat's milk and reacted to it, but the protein makeup (the specific forms of casein in it) are different enough from cow's milk that, unless you have an anaphylactic allergy, it might be worth testing it.

(Ick on the chicken broth front! ;-) Can you have soy? Soy milk may work better in coffee - particularly a vanilla flavor. ;-) )

Matilda Enthusiast

• 2 weeks later...
wclemens Newbie

Hi,

I've been gluten free, milk & dairy free, and no egg whites or yeast for MANY years. Amazingly, I am finally okay with it all, especially since recently learning that my toddler grandson, my sister, and my cousin also have Celiac. I am the only one sticking rigidly to this diet, and I am always healthy.

Try turning your world upside down to include chicken, hamburgers, steak, tuna salad, green salads, etc. for breakfast, and getting up in the morning seems to take on a new excitement.

Currently I am eating all my high carb foods in the morning: strawberries, bananas, peaches, celery with peanut butter, hot dogs wrapped in fried corn tortillas, Soy Delicious ice cream and the new Soy Delicious chocolate covered ice cream bars (no milk or dairy whatsoever), Fiddle Faddles, Poppycock popcorn treat, etc. Sometimes I eat dessert first, just to treat myself.

The rest of the day I eat only high protein, low carb foods (this is The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, which I have been on for many years since my family has a history of Diabetes--eating all your high carbs within 1 hour is the plan--that keeps your body from producing too much insulin).

High protein, low carb foods I eat all day include: solid white albacore with Kraft mayonnaise & pickle relish, tuna, salmon, other types of fish, steak, chicken, turkey wrapped with pickles, Kraft mayonnaise & mustard, homemade meat loaf (no bread crumbs or eggs included), salami, etc.

It's Easy! It just takes taking the time to take care of yourself and those in your family who have Celiac or other food intolerances, something that is well worth the effort and pays off in increased well-being and good health. Good luck. Welda Lou

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

This is such an informative post! We've been doing CF for several months but I tried to introduce dairy back into my daughter's diet too early also. At first she was drinking tons of soy milk, then we started with rice milk and then almond milk. Her food scan came back testing positive for soy beans, diary and almonds. My child improved on a gluten-free diet but leveled off after awhile. We're just so thankful to have this new insight. I've heard that food rotation can be very helpful with people who have IGg food reactions. I've food a soy, rice, oil, casein and gluten free milk alternative. The product is from Vance's Foods and is called DariFree Original. I think Ener-g also makes a DariFree product.

Take care :)

Archived