This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Side Effects Of Long-Term Prilosec?

bridgetm

bridgetm Enthusiast

I've been feeling a little off all week, but I could always put it down to semiconscious consumption of something containing soy or large amounts of sugar (every once in a while a small amount of soy is a small price to pay for flavor). I was hungry for breakfast Thursday morning and got the ham and eggs from the caf. I wasn't very hungry the rest of the day and assumed it had been too much grease. Took it easy yesterday morning: heated up some Udi's and slathered on the peanut butter, a little bit of cereal for a snack later. Salad and cantaloupe for lunch, followed by some popcorn. Before a 2 hour stretch of afternoon class I was fighting what felt like a sugar crash so I grabbed a can of Hansen's gluten-free root beer (made with cane sugar and usually easier on the stomach) to sip on throughout the afternoon. It woke me up but by the end of class I had an upset stomach which I figured was just a reaction to the rare, large amount of sugar. I got a good upper body workout in anyway and quickly regretted it. I skipped dinner, didn't even bother to take my pills, and was in bed by 7 feeling absolutely exhausted, somewhat nauseous and with stomach cramps. Then I got up at least 10 times throughout the night with watery diarrhea. Woke up around 9 am dehydrated and still tired. Without thinking about it I took my usual Prilosec after downing some water. It just clicked about an hour ago... Googled side effects of Prilosec.

Diarrhea is a common side-effect of Prilosec taken long-term, as is chest pain (woke up with that yesterday am and assumed it was a asthma flare-up), malaise, tiredness, and stomach pain and gas (easily mistaken for menstruation and food intolerance). I quit taking it for a while over the summer, but have been back on it for about 4 weeks after experiencing GERD-like symptoms.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS. I'm feeling better this afternoon and have eaten some bread and rice with salt and I'm still sipping at the water.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"I was hungry for breakfast Thursday morning and got the ham and eggs from the caf."

To me it sounds like you got glutened at the caf.

If your worried about the side effects of Prilosec have you tried Pepto Bismal? That helps me best with the stomach pain I get from soy or gluten. Of course the best thing to do is avoid the items you have problems with.

bridgetm Enthusiast

"I was hungry for breakfast Thursday morning and got the ham and eggs from the caf."

To me it sounds like you got glutened at the caf.

If your worried about the side effects of Prilosec have you tried Pepto Bismal? That helps me best with the stomach pain I get from soy or gluten. Of course the best thing to do is avoid the items you have problems with.

Glutening is a definite possibility and I'm becoming more and more convinced as the evening wears on. I'm having the same chest tightness and jaw pain I had when I first got sick in the spring. It's just that whenever I accidentally consumed gluten over the summer my symptoms were lower-abdominal pain, maybe a day or two of brain fog, minor diarrhea (sometimes 2-3 days, but not nearly as bad as last night) followed by a day or two of constipation. Every time. So last night kind of freaked me out. Unfortunately I don't have any Pepto, but I'll have to stock up on rice, rice cakes and all those post-glutening favorites tomorrow so maybe I'll pick some up.

Thank you for your help. I can always regain some sanity in this forum.

cassP Contributor

let me just add here from experience: stop taking prilosec!!

i agree with the above posters- because i dont think prilosec would result in the aggressive watery "D"...

BUT- i took Zantac for over 4 years DAILY... ended up with Hypochlorhydria.. (LOW stomach acid). my Alternative doc gave me a book to read about stomach acid-

i try to preach whenever i can: Zantac, Prilosec, Prevacid, etc.. all those heavy duty Proton Pump Inhibitors WRECK your stomach... eventually the stomach cant make enough acid to properly digest- this can lead to H.Pylori infestation- they thrive in LOW acid stomachs... and think of the load on your small intestine- when your stomach dumps undigested food into it.

you'd be much better off taking PeptoBismol on occasion or a natural or lighter antacid.. and adjusting your diet.

wheat & gluten can be a big culprit for Gerd , but there's a ton of foods, and medicines that can also weaken that Esophageal flap

of course if you're in the middle of a full blown ulcer- than you may have to take something stronger- but i would take a couple of Zantac over Prilosec, and other newer stronger ones.

sorry, rambling

bridgetm Enthusiast

let me just add here from experience: stop taking prilosec!!

Thank you for the tip! Thinking about how I felt when I wasn't taking it, I thought it would be better just to keep taking it... and, hey, it was prescribed by a doctor right? But, it does scare me. And the massive amount of ibuprofen that probably set off my gluten-intolerance was prescribed by a doctor too; that didn't make it a smart idea. I'll definitely pick up some Pepto or something tomorrow... and maybe knock on a few doors tonight looking for a dose before bed.

cassP Contributor

ps- i also recently read that Melatonin can help strengthen that Esophageal Flap- so that it will stay shut and prevent Gerd... i dont know if thats true or not??? i just take it like 3 nights a week.

bridgetm Enthusiast

ps- i also recently read that Melatonin can help strengthen that Esophageal Flap- so that it will stay shut and prevent Gerd... i dont know if thats true or not??? i just take it like 3 nights a week.

I just found a couple articles on that. Interesting concept. I'll look into it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Charlie's Girl Apprentice

I was on the little purple pill- Nexium- for four years. As I became sicker and sicker, my Gastro suggested taking two per day. I told her that I was too young to start this vicious cycle of increasing meds to treat symptoms and not treat the cause of the symptoms. That's the short version.

I read up on the effects of long term PPI use and was shocked that my Gastro had never mentioned any of this to me.

I quit Nexium cold turkey as they are capsules and I couldn't just cut them in half. It was perhaps the worst thing I have ever experienced. Six weeks of chest pain that felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat in my sternum. Thank God for the internet, as I googled and found that many people have the same reaction. Lots of folks end up in the ER thinking they are having a heart attack. I couldn't sleep, eat, the list goes on and on. I was SOOOOOO sick and in immense pain.

About a year later, my acupuncturist did the Diagnos Tech panel and it came back that I have NO digestive enzymes. None. Less than the test could read. My gut transit time is shot too.

I would caution anyone not to take PPIs and if you feel you must, then only take them for a short period of time. While I did not take Prilosec, I did have increased symptoms while on Nexium, 6 weeks or more of "withdrawals" and long term damage- so perhaps Prilosec produces the same or similar side effects.

And here's a GREAT natural "cure" for the symptoms of acid reflux, GERD and mild nausea.

Powdered calcium/magnesium supplement in water.

Dr. Galland recommended this and pointed out that many antacids are advertised as, for example, Tums with calcium. The calcium closes the valve and helps keep things from sneaking out giving you gas, burning, etc. I believe he recommends one teaspoon in 8 oz. of water. Google him and you'll see he writes a lot about indigestion.

Me- well my tummy requires a little bit all day. I put 3 teaspoons in 24 ounces of water and keep it with me all day long. I always take a few sips after I eat. It tastes like ground up seashells and is a bit chalky, but it works immediately. You gotta shake it up as it will settle to the bottom of the bottle or glass.

I get mine online, but it is also available at Whole Foods.

Works every time.

cassP Contributor

And here's a GREAT natural "cure" for the symptoms of acid reflux, GERD and mild nausea.

Powdered calcium/magnesium supplement in water.

Dr. Galland recommended this and pointed out that many antacids are advertised as, for example, Tums with calcium. The calcium closes the valve and helps keep things from sneaking out giving you gas, burning, etc. I believe he recommends one teaspoon in 8 oz. of water. Google him and you'll see he writes a lot about indigestion.

Me- well my tummy requires a little bit all day. I put 3 teaspoons in 24 ounces of water and keep it with me all day long. I always take a few sips after I eat. It tastes like ground up seashells and is a bit chalky, but it works immediately. You gotta shake it up as it will settle to the bottom of the bottle or glass.

I get mine online, but it is also available at Whole Foods.

Works every time.

the calcium helps shut the valve too??? oh i am definitely gonna start taking my calcium/mag at night again. THANKS :)

ya- those pharmaceutical companies are wrecking our bodies

Lord have mercy

Dr. Galland said it needs to be the powdered calcium. And I agree. The calcium pills didn't work for me. I use ALL ONE which is a calcium/magnesium powder.

Makes sense- they add calcium to Tums- which are chewed not swallowed whole.

People tease me for carting around my bottle of white sludge- but it works. My GERD/acid reflux was awful- couldn't eat anything, couldn't drink most things, and this stops it immediately. I take a swig before exercise and even take a few swigs during my Bikram yoga class. For years I couldn't exercise without the acid reflux kicking in.

This is from Dr. Galland on the Today show: Open Original Shared Link

Calcium tightens the LES valve. This is not an antacid effect. In fact, the best type of calcium, because it is the most soluble, is calcium citrate, which is itself mildly acidic. The most effective preparation is calcium citrate powder. Take 250 mg, dissolved in water, after every meal and at bedtime (for a total daily dose of 1,000 mg). Swallowing calcium pills does not prevent reflux because the calcium is not instantly dissolved.

cassP Contributor

my calcium is powder in a capsule- maybe i should open it in my mouth???

Gotta dissolve it in water. I use one teaspoon per 8 oz.

Let me know if it works for you.

Maybe we should post this as a separate GERD/acid reflux thread. :) For all those who suffer from the same curse.

sb2178 Enthusiast

licorice tea is also a helpful alternate for mild GERD. Just don't overdo that if your BP is on the higher side.

And I also *highly* recommend trying to limit PPI use. I'm pretty sure that I also ended up with my digestive enzyme system basically turned off from them. Elevate the head of your bed too if you haven't already. Small meals, no EtOH... etc. You've heard it, I'm sure. In the end strict avoidance of gluten has pretty much eliminated my atypical GERD.

Also sounds like it could be plain old food poisoning, esp if the digestive pattern was different.

bridgetm Enthusiast

I am now convinced that it is NOT gluten and probably not food poisoning. I have pain in my upper abdomen, pancreas area, and through to my back and my chest. It is worst when I eat or drink something. Even water hurts. I came home from school yesterday and am going to urgent care this afternoon, as soon as my mom gets off work. Thankfully the diarrhea has stopped, but that's probably because I have nothing left in me. Now I'm sipping on pedialyte and water on rotation. Applesauce when I start to feel hungry (though that feeling doesn't last long). I have none of that familiar lower left abdominal pain that comes with gluten for me; no vomiting or fever so I'm doubtful of food poisoning.

Thank you for all the replies (I'll have to try that calcium "sludge" trick when I start eating again) and I'll keep you posted.

Glutin-Free Man Rookie

I agree with the others - try and stop the Prilosec. When I started having gluten symptoms (at 40), my GI put me on Prilosec immediately. When I reported that it wasn't helping, he put me on Nexium. After less than a week, I noticed the Nexium was making me feel worse, so I discontinued it on my own. I think that the Prilosec was making things worse too, as the only time I had bad acid type symptoms was while I was taking it, and for a couple weeks afterward.

I kept up the gluten-free diet, and am presently fine (as long as I'm careful), with no meds.

I also have a new GI, as the original one never did believe I had Gluten intolerance. I don't think the new one does either, but at least he's not trying to medicate me to fix things I don't think are broke.

David

bincongo Contributor

Ok, this puts me in a dilemma too. My GI doctor found my Celiac but also that I had GERD and a hiatal hernia. I don't feel my GERD because I guess my hiatal hernia keeps it from coming up but my doctor put me on Nexium. I asked when I could get off it because I don't like to take medicines if I can avoid them. She said I had to take it for a least 6 months to a year for my stomach to heal even though I couldn't feel any pain. I guess it is suspose to help my hiatal hernia too. Ok, so now I don't know what to do.

cassP Contributor

Ok, this puts me in a dilemma too. My GI doctor found my Celiac but also that I had GERD and a hiatal hernia. I don't feel my GERD because I guess my hiatal hernia keeps it from coming up but my doctor put me on Nexium. I asked when I could get off it because I don't like to take medicines if I can avoid them. She said I had to take it for a least 6 months to a year for my stomach to heal even though I couldn't feel any pain. I guess it is suspose to help my hiatal hernia too. Ok, so now I don't know what to do.

no no no no- it is not gonna heal your hiatal hernia- it will only make it worse. seriously. Nexium and other strong meds are only good if you're right in the middle of an ulcer-

otherwise- the stuff is awful.

a hiatal hernia is an anatomical issue- proper diet IN COMBINATION with gravity & relaxation & reducing the stress in your life... plus maybe having an EXPERT therapist gently move your stomach down into its proper position.

the only reason why a proton pump inhibitor would "heal" your stomach, is INDIRECTLY- while in the middle of an ulcer-> when your own body is producing excess stomach acid and then attacking itself where the H.Pylori are burrowing in into your lining. so reducing the acid will prevent further damage.

im sorry to go on and on- but the overprescribing of all of these harmful pharmaceuticals usually messes us up more.

and your doc says 6 months??? by then, you will have made your stomach a perfect nesting place for H.Pylori.. and you will have compromised your digestion... then you'll get an ulcer and then you'll have to take the Nexium again... thus ensuring Big Pharma continues to make money off of us being sick

ok, sorry, i really am shutting up now.

bincongo Contributor

no no no no- it is not gonna heal your hiatal hernia- it will only make it worse. seriously. Nexium and other strong meds are only good if you're right in the middle of an ulcer-

otherwise- the stuff is awful.

a hiatal hernia is an anatomical issue- proper diet IN COMBINATION with gravity & relaxation & reducing the stress in your life... plus maybe having an EXPERT therapist gently move your stomach down into its proper position.

the only reason why a proton pump inhibitor would "heal" your stomach, is INDIRECTLY- while in the middle of an ulcer-> when your own body is producing excess stomach acid and then attacking itself where the H.Pylori are burrowing in into your lining. so reducing the acid will prevent further damage.

im sorry to go on and on- but the overprescribing of all of these harmful pharmaceuticals usually messes us up more.

and your doc says 6 months??? by then, you will have made your stomach a perfect nesting place for H.Pylori.. and you will have compromised your digestion... then you'll get an ulcer and then you'll have to take the Nexium again... thus ensuring Big Pharma continues to make money off of us being sick

ok, sorry, i really am shutting up now.

Hey thanks for the info. I don't think my doctor said it would help my hiatal hernia, I said that. The endoscopy said I had diffuse gastritis so that is what the Nexium is for. My thinking is that the bloating from being Celiac and not knowing it was causing pressure on my stomach and pushing acid up so I developed GERD but I would think now that I don't have bloating very often it would seem that problem would be resolved. I don't know how long it takes to clear up gastritis. There were no ulcers seen. I tested neg. for H.Pylori but positive for Celiac.

cassP Contributor

Hey thanks for the info. I don't think my doctor said it would help my hiatal hernia, I said that. The endoscopy said I had diffuse gastritis so that is what the Nexium is for. My thinking is that the bloating from being Celiac and not knowing it was causing pressure on my stomach and pushing acid up so I developed GERD but I would think now that I don't have bloating very often it would seem that problem would be resolved. I don't know how long it takes to clear up gastritis. There were no ulcers seen. I tested neg. for H.Pylori but positive for Celiac.

i have a hiatal hernia too... im sure bloating can contribute to pushing the stomach up- and that pressure could maybe cause that esophageal flap to open.

i DO know from my own experience that Wheat/Gluten weakens that flap- and then causes the acid reflux.

everything should improve with you being gluten free now.

but those proton pump inhibitors will only cause you more problems... i, personally, would use more natural things to heal your stomach, aid in digestion, and reduce stomach acid.

Archived