8 replies to this topic

#1 Monklady123

Monklady123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:59 AM

So suddenly this morning I'm seeing the same ad on both sides of this message box, which is causing the message to be squished into a small space (I'm on a laptop). It's annoying because I have to scroll down so much to read all the messages in a thread. Also, it's annoying to see duplicate ads! lol...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hmmm....have you tried clicking on one to help us pay for this board?

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#3 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hmmm....have you tried clicking on one to help us pay for this board?

Take care,
Scott

What's that supposed to mean? No need to be snarky, I was just asking why I'm seeing duplicate ads. If the answer is that you need more ads in order to pay for the board then just say so. Because if that's the answer I would have expected to see more *different* ads, not complete duplicates.

#4 LYNN21

LYNN21

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

I am a older person but someone told me that if you click on the adds on the side of messages boards thats how your computor gets virus's. I was on My Space when I heard this. Just curious?

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

I am a older person but someone told me that if you click on the adds on the side of messages boards thats how your computor gets virus's. I was on My Space when I heard this. Just curious?

There is some truth to that. But the advertisers on this board are safe. Each one is a legitimate supplier of products or services catering to the gluten-free needs of the celiac community.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

The ads don't bother me--I learn about some new gluten free products/services that way. However may I suggest to the owners of this board that your could offer a paid subscription for people that don't want to see the ads? Another board I am on does that--it's a free site, but they also offer an ad-free subscription for $15-20 per year or something really low. If you are in need of more revenue to keep the board going perhaps you could try offering that. Or offer some incentive for regular members to click on the ads--like a contest or something. I will go click a few now because I really appreciate that this board is free. ;)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

That is a good idea, and I'll look into it!

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#8 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

And I have no objection to ads at all, especially on boards like this where I want to learn about as many gluten-free products and information as I can. I was just asking why I suddenly was seeing duplicate ads -- i.e., the exact same ads on the left as on the right. But, it doesn't matter now, I solved it with my trusty ad-blocker. I can still open the ads by right-clicking into a new window, which I will do because like I said, I want the information. But, now I can at least read the posts and have a text box that's more than a couple of inches across.

#9 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

That is a good idea, and I'll look into it!

Take care,
Scott

Scott, IMHO, Dollar/penny wise, wouldn't it bet better for Regulars to click on at least one ad daily instead of an ad-free subscription for $15-20 per year ??? Way to often Sites start offering an ad-free subscription and soon after add boards just for subscribers. Next they offer lifetime membership, with boards just for lifers as they are called... Sometimes important information gets Posted in one of the Member Only Boards... I would hate to see any Celiac information Posted on such a Board... Trust me, I'm not against an ad-free subscription for $15-20 per year, just Member Only Boards...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: