This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Number Of People On The Board

jaimek

jaimek Enthusiast

I just took notice of the fact that I joined this board on February 10th, 2004 and was member #771. One year later, February, 2005, there were almost 4,000 members. That means over 3,000 people joined this website in one year. I think that is just insane!!!! I guess people are really becoming more knowledgable when it comes to Celiac and I think it's great!!!!! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yea...the funny thing, though, is that there are only maybe 200-400 people who post even semi-frequently.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

yeah I've noticed that some people make a few posts and then disappear and a lot of people have joined and have not posted at all. But that is an insane amount of people!

Guest Viola

Perhaps the people who don't post are finding the answers to their questions just listening to the rest of us who do. I hope so, it would be nice to know that we are saying something right and helping the ones who just drop in to read ;)

:lol: in some subjects they are certainly getting a variety of opinions at least.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I'm sure quite a few people read the posts but they do not post..I did that for a while(about 2 months) when I joined this site.

I sure hope that they are getting help from the posts.

scotia Newbie

Hi Guys, yes you're right...it takes time once you find this wonderful website to pluck up the courage to post...unless, like some of us, you're fond of the 'sound' of your own voice, or like seeing yourself in print :lol:

I believe a lot of people come into browse and pick up info based on our own experiences and take it away to see how it helps make their own experiences easier to cope with.

If there's one thing I've found, it sure helps to be self effacing, and have a sense of humour.

A friend of mine house sat while I was away for the weekend...

I nearly peed myself, when I found out they'd made a sandwich with the rice bread I bought at the local bakery...(you have to toast it to make it edible), but it does in a pinch.

Imagine this person, getting all the meat, cheese, and fixings, then putting the bread together...and taking a bite....(un toasted...) ha ha ha...

I can imagine the look on their face, as the bread disintegrated in their hands, and they found out two 'important' things, rice bread sucks, and rice bread should be toasted first!

Gotcha!!!

Scotia.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I can imagine the look on their face, as the bread disintegrated in their hands,
:lol:

it takes time once you find this wonderful website to pluck up the courage to post

It took me about a month or two to finally make a post and then I even came on as an anonymous member once in a while. Oh I was silly. I don't know what I was scared of ;) You guys are great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

My diagnosis day I just...noticed this site was here, next day I barged right in with my first post. :lol: No fear here...or maybe more fear of not knowing than about the people or the board :) .

mjbonsais Rookie

Some people are more introvered or extroverted as well. Many just want to learn and if they peruse this particular board and gain knowledge then it is doing the job it was intended.

Have a great afternoon!

Mary Jo java script:emoticon(':D')

mytummyhurts Contributor
you're fond of the 'sound' of your own voice, or like seeing yourself in print  :lol:

:D That's me!

I'm pretty shy in real life, but I find it easy to come in here and say stuff because nobody knows me personally.

I think it's exciting so many people have joined. I think the knowledge of celiac is spreading fast! Let's keep it up!

plantime Contributor

I guess I'm extroverted: I was posting my first day on the forum. It is an excellent source for reading and learning!

judy05 Apprentice

Hi,

I post once in a while whenever I think I can help someone (maybe I had the same problem). Although I don't post a lot I still read the forums that I think apply to me. I have really learned a lot, you guys are great!

I just want to add that I think a forum for newbies would be great, you moderators are great about giving the basic info but it wouldn't it be easier to have it all organized for someone new? Just a thought.

• 3 months later...
paw Apprentice

Hello everyone. I am new. I am still being diagnosed so I don't know if they will call me Celiac or not. I certainly have a lot of symptoms that are consistant. My family doctor and the gastroenterologist both suspect that I have problems with wheat, but no true diagnosis yet. I have been hanging out here and READING everything.

It is a whole new way to live. You have to change where you shop, what you buy, how you cook and on and on and on. Even if I don't get a diagnosis of Celiac, I think I am gluten intolerant at the least. I will be trying it to see if it helps once the tests are done with.

It is not that I don't want to talk to you, it is just that so far I don't have a lot to add to the conversations. :) Thanks for sharing so much helpful information with the newbies.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My diagnosis day I just...noticed this site was here, next day I barged right in with my first post. :lol: No fear here...or maybe more fear of not knowing than about the people or the board :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Guess I was the same way except I barged in with a ton of questions *before* I got diagnosed....everyone here was great and thank God I learned about Enterolab since my bloodtests were neg. and I was really suffering.

Might seem hard to believe but in real life I'm pretty shy....until you get to know me. :)

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

I, too, spent time just reading before posting - it was enough to try to learn how to be gluten-free...

But, now I mostly just try to be supportive, and share what I can -

I have had A LOT of time on my hands in the past month or so, as I have been recovering from some serious surgery.

I go back to my old schedule this coming week, so won't be posting as often, but I will make it a point to come here weekly to read new posts I feel might help me further understand this disease AND to 'pay it back' by adding my support/sharing my knowledge with others.

In real life, I am an extrovert, so posting was never/is never threatening to me - if anyone knows anything about the "Kiersey Temperament Sorter," I am an ENFP - the most likely of his 16 personality types to be on here, encouraging others ;-) It's a GREAT personality test - you can find it in "Please Understand Me, II" - by David Kiersey, plus tons of information about each personaity type :)

(Available in paperback, at your nearest on-line bookseller...)

Anyway...besides my being an extrovert and bookaholic...

I am truly thankful for all those members who summon up the courage to share and care, even if YOUR personality type doesn't make that as easy for you as it has been for me.

LOVE, Gina

ianm Apprentice

It is pretty typical for online forums to have lots of members but only a handful that post. I jumped right in but I also believe very strongly that everyone does have a right to my opinion. :lol::lol:

sonjaf Rookie

Here's my two cents worth: I have been reading this site since I found out I had celiac disease in March 05. I have also been spending A LOT of time trying to figure out what to eat! It's been really hard, since I had to change my entire lifestyle and eating habits. So, most of the time I have to spend browsing the internet, I was on websites shopping for food and restaurants that I could enjoy. Now that I have a handle on things, I am concentrating on not "glutening" myself!

Thank you to all the old and new members that post such helpful advise. Sad thing is that there are so many of us out there, and still everytime I tell someone I have celiac disease they have no idea what I am talking about. I wish the media would do more to educate the public about food allergies and intolerance. One of my sons is allergic to peanuts, eggs and milk, and I have had to educate our entire family, his school and friends, and everyone else he meets about his dietary needs. (Thankfully, both sons are negative for celiac disease!!! Thank God for hugh miracles). :rolleyes:

SonjaF

tonyevans Newbie

I've been involved in a variety of lists from about 1992 and been moderator of a few. It has always been my experience that there are a very high perentage of Lurkers on any list.

Most are just content to read the posts that interest or affect them, many get their answers that way without needing to ask a question.

As long as people can get sound advice that way the list serves.

Just my 2c

Tony E

Archived