This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rudi's

modiddly16

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Has anyone tried Rudi's gluten free breads?? I react to the Udi's brand so I was wondering what anyone's luck was with Rudi's.

How random is it that they both have the most similar names? Way to confuse us all!! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heatherjane Contributor

Has anyone tried Rudi's gluten free breads?? I react to the Udi's brand so I was wondering what anyone's luck was with Rudi's.

How random is it that they both have the most similar names? Way to confuse us all!! :P

I LOVE Rudi's bread.... it's so much better than Udi's in my opinion. It's great toasted as it stays somewhat soft... not like styrofoam. It also tastes like real bread, and it's sooo good with butter. :D

I can't speak to having reactions with it though, as I do fine with both Rudi's and Udi's (love sayin that :lol: ). It does say on the Rudi label that it's certified gluten free. I hope you do well with it, as it's the best frozen bread I've tried so far.

cassP Contributor

oh good! i just bought my first loaf at WFs. its in my freezer unopened... looking forward to it :)

Roda Rising Star

I really liked the flavor, but found it to be more dry than the Udi's. I let it dry out and will use it for bread crumbs.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

i've tried the Rudi's & liked it.

haven't gotten a chance to try Udi's yet.

is there much difference in price between the two brands? (at the one store where i found both brands, i couldn't find a price tag on the Udi's. This was a specialty gluten-free store & they don't always have prices marked well...)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I haven't seen Rudi bread, but I think by far the best gluten free bread is the Katz Gluten Free Challah. I just wish they had a local distributor instead of having to order it on the Internet. It is sweet and moist - a little like banana bread. Whenever I get my order shipped I can practically eat a loaf with dairy free margarine in one sitting...

heatherjane Contributor

i've tried the Rudi's & liked it.

haven't gotten a chance to try Udi's yet.

is there much difference in price between the two brands? (at the one store where i found both brands, i couldn't find a price tag on the Udi's. This was a specialty gluten-free store & they don't always have prices marked well...)

The Rudi's I got was on sale at a natural foods store for $5. I'm not sure what it was marked down from, but that was a local store that tends to have higher prices. It may be normally cheaper at a place like Whole Foods. I haven't seen Rudi's at my Whole Foods yet, but the Udi's breads there are like $5.69 or something for a loaf.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

i just tried my first toasted slice of Rudi's last night :P YUMMM... there was a TINY part of me that thought i wanted less Xantham gum... but nah... it was pretty dang good!!!

we dont have Udi's or Katz at my Whole Foods.. but want to try some day. YAY, i cant wait to make a sandwich now :)

MelindaLee Contributor

Rudis definately has a gluten free bread, right??? I was excited to see Rudis next to the Udis, and it was $3.99. I was excited because I remembered reading this thread. But, after eating a slice (very good), I was talking to my friend and we were looking for the iron content as she is very anemic. IT WAS NOT GLUTEN FREE. It was an organic wheat bread! It was even under a gluten free label at the grocery store! Luckily I stopped all my friend I had shared with to try it out before anyone else ate it. :( I am heading back to that store tonight to make sure the take away the label, or move the product!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Rudis definately has a gluten free bread, right??? I was excited to see Rudis next to the Udis, and it was $3.99. I was excited because I remembered reading this thread. But, after eating a slice (very good), I was talking to my friend and we were looking for the iron content as she is very anemic. IT WAS NOT GLUTEN FREE. It was an organic wheat bread! It was even under a gluten free label at the grocery store! Luckily I stopped all my friend I had shared with to try it out before anyone else ate it. :( I am heading back to that store tonight to make sure the take away the label, or move the product!

Thats very odd. Rudi has been around for a long time and makes many non gluten free products. I am from Colorado (its made in Boulder Colorado). Are you saying they accidentally put organic wheat bread in their gluten free packaging? If this is the case you should call them directly so they know they made a mistake, the store may not do this.

cassP Contributor

the store probably put it in the wrong spot...

i am confused- not sure if it's the same company- or if it's 2 different companies.... but there is gluten free products by Rudi's, and i see them in the freezer at whole foods.

there is also some "Ancient Spelt" bread that my mom gets - and it TOO is made by a "Rudi's"... it's with the other breads at whole foods.

i dont know if they're 2 different companies by the same name??? their company name is in different FONT... but idk??

be super careful!! and let the store know if they have things in the wrong spot! that's dangerous

MelindaLee Contributor

I went back to the store and they had the Rudi's (which was the organic wheat) with an gluten free label. I let the manager know. I haven't found many stores around her that keep gluten free and organic seperate. I grabbed a box of Van's waffels the other day by accident that weren't the Free ones. I notice that before I ate it though. (I have been expecting a terrible reaction since I ate a slice of the bread, but I haven't really had one. I feel a bit of gas bubbles...but nothing bad. Does tha surprise anyone? I have been gluten-free for about 5 weeks...I have been expecting the worst.)

cassP Contributor

(I have been expecting a terrible reaction since I ate a slice of the bread, but I haven't really had one. I feel a bit of gas bubbles...but nothing bad. Does tha surprise anyone? I have been gluten-free for about 5 weeks...I have been expecting the worst.)

no, it doesnt surprise me. my reactions were often different and varied in severity... sometimes- the most i would feel is full and fat... and sometimes i would only see the reaction in my BM the next morning (sorry, tmi). other times i would feel like i was going into labor.

heatherjane Contributor

I went back to the store and they had the Rudi's (which was the organic wheat) with an gluten free label. I let the manager know. I haven't found many stores around her that keep gluten free and organic seperate. I grabbed a box of Van's waffels the other day by accident that weren't the Free ones. I notice that before I ate it though. (I have been expecting a terrible reaction since I ate a slice of the bread, but I haven't really had one. I feel a bit of gas bubbles...but nothing bad. Does tha surprise anyone? I have been gluten-free for about 5 weeks...I have been expecting the worst.)

Rudi's has been around for awhile and makes gluten-containing breads as well. You just have to pay attention, because some stores will mistakenly stock gluten free items and their gluteny counterparts right beside each other, if the stocker is not paying attention him/herself to the packaging. The Rudi's gluten free bread is certified gluten free. Sorry this happened to you. The safe Rudi's is pretty yummy!

Edit: removed "and is made in a gluten free facility" I just checked their website and it isn't...oops!!

MelindaLee Contributor

I know it was my own stupidity that let my guard down. I was just so excited to see Rudi's after people talked of it being good...especially at $3.99 a loaf. At that price I should have been suspicious! :lol: I just was so excited I didn't do my normal label checking. I felt like I had the beginning of the flu today, but am feeling better tonight. Most of my symptoms were neurological...funky vision..foggy head..heaviness in my head. :lol: Hopefully I will find the "real" Rudi's!

Archived