#1 Tidings

Tidings

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Got more blood test results today... Compared them against those of two months ago. The only things that stand out (to my untrained eye) are the Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum which is now 528, which is slightly higher than it was in June (range is 70-400); and the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which has almost DOUBLED what it was in June (now 4.35; was 2.32; range is .450-4.50). Gliadin and mitochondrial antibody tests were negative; not surprising, since I've been off gluten for a long time. (Wish now I'd had testing done BEFORE quitting gluten!)

Am fairly convinced that some of my increased symptoms are being caused by HBP medication (Lisinopril) which I started in June. (Could possibly account for additional SEVERE insomnia, itchy feet, thinning hair, racing heart, etc.) As for the elevated IgA, my understanding is that this is an immune antibody pertaining to mucosal linings and intestines. Additional consultations with docs to follow.

Any insights by folks here are quite welcome and most appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Could possibly account for additional SEVERE insomnia, itchy feet, thinning hair, racing heart, etc.)

As for the elevated IgA, my understanding is that this is an immune antibody pertaining to mucosal linings and intestines. Additional consultations with docs to follow.

Any insights by folks here are quite welcome and most appreciated. Thanks.

SEVERE insomnia, itchy feet, thinning hair, racing heart could also be signs and symptoms of hypothyroid, did your doctor discuss this with you?

I can't comment on exactly what IGA is, although I know it's elevated in people with food allergies, among other things. If you've recently switched to a gluten-free and are consuming new or in larger quantaties food that you are intolerant to, this could drive up those numbers. Board members like Skylark and RavenwoodGlass are very knowlegable in all facets of testing, so hopefully they'll chime in.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Am fairly convinced that some of my increased symptoms are being caused by HBP medication (Lisinopril) which I started in June. (Could possibly account for additional SEVERE insomnia, itchy feet, thinning hair, racing heart, etc.) As for the elevated IgA, my understanding is that this is an immune antibody pertaining to mucosal linings and intestines. Additional consultations with docs to follow.

I would vote for the Lisinopril being the culprit. That stuff is mean (I took only one tablet - had headache, neck and back pain, dizziness, and liquid diarrhea every 20 mins for 3 hrs). I read on WedMB comments from users and the symptoms you list were very common.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Tidings

Tidings

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hi Mushroom & LookingforAnswers:

Maybe a "subclinical" thyroid problem has been kicked into hypergear by the Lisinopril? (And I wasn't even taking a large dose, either, because I'm so hypersensitive to meds & chemicals!) (To add to the confusion, had eye surgery in June (as well as starting the Lisinopril) which made it necessary to take a LOT of various meds before and after the surgery, but have been off of them and only taking Lisinopril for past month.) The symptoms described have been really intolerable the past week or so, which has forced me to just quit the Lisinopril for now and take up daily walking to try to get blood pressure down.

Will definitely be discussing this with doctors later this week and will report back whatever is learned. (May require additional testing...)

If anybody has had any similar experiences involving ACE inhibitor meds (like Prinivil, Lisinopril, etc.) for HBP and subsequent thyroid problems, would love to compare notes.

As a side-note, I learned that these ACE-inhibitor drugs are the outcome of a discovery involving a poisonous South American snake! LOL--funny, the interesting stuff we learn as we explore all these things! Who'd have thought snake venom could help blood pressure problems?!

Thanks for your input.

PS Link to story of the snake venom:
Warning! Page contains photo of pit viper--if your heart tends to leap at photos of snakes, be forewarned & turn off images! :-)
http://www.fasebj.or.../18/3/421e#SEC6
Thanks to Sarah at personalizedcause.com for allowing me to adapt their beautiful green Celiac Awareness ribbon as my "avatar" graphic.

#5 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:45 AM

You are quite hypothyroid, and in Germany the uper end og the TSH range is 2,5 in some places, and 2,12 in other places.

Please go over to any thyroid forum.

The lisinopril is for high blood pressure, and your blood pressure is high becaue you are hypothyroid.

When properly treated for hypo, the blood pressure goes back to normal by itself.

I have been on these thyrodi forum for ten years, and this is true.

nora
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: