This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone From Wisconsin?

MelindaLee

MelindaLee Contributor

I am new to this and am looking for anyone is this grand cheese state. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFJackie Newbie

I am new to this and am looking for anyone is this grand cheese state. :lol:

Not sure if you will still get this, I am new to the Forum, I'm from Wisconsin. It would be nice to have some people who actually understand me, not "oh I know how you feel, I don't like (insert random food) either!"

friends are dumb sometimes..

where in the WI are you from?

Cypressmyst Explorer

Another Wisconsinite here. :) I live outside of Berlin. Whereabouts are you?

I'm also Casein free for the moment (hopeful that I can reintroduce it after I heal) so living in the beer and cheese state without being able to have them is...well...cruel sometimes.

Then I think how happy and fortunate I am to be able to heal myself with something so simple as a diet change and things really aren't so bad.

People don't get it, that is for sure. But I have a lot of really supportive friends (and gluten-free husband) so it makes things easier than a lot of folks have it around here. :blink:

And New Grist/ Greens / Bards are pretty good beers too. B)

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I just moved to WI myself. I'm up in West Bend. On facebook, there is a group called Gluten-Free Milwaukee (I think). They post a little here and there about businesses and restaraunts in the area.

Do any of you have a good gluten-free place to eat that you completely trust? I tried to go to Bonefish grill one day for lunch while shopping and learned they didn't open until 4:00. What about speciality bakeries? I miss my old pie shoppe.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Love Wisconsin. I'm on the western edge of this great state, not far from the Twin Cities.

• 4 months later...
pondy Contributor

I just moved to WI myself. I'm up in West Bend. On facebook, there is a group called Gluten-Free Milwaukee (I think). They post a little here and there about businesses and restaraunts in the area.

Do any of you have a good gluten-free place to eat that you completely trust? I tried to go to Bonefish grill one day for lunch while shopping and learned they didn't open until 4:00. What about speciality bakeries? I miss my old pie shoppe.

What a coincidence - I'm from West Bend also :D

I moved back here (from Milwaukee) last August. It's much more peaceful... city stress and I don't do well together.

• 2 weeks later...
aeraen Apprentice

Hello from another cheesehead. I'm in a suburb of Milwaukee.

Thanks, SGWiskers, for the advice on the facebook page.

I haven't been out to eat much since deciding to take this seriously, because I just don't trust most restaurants, yet. However, I do know that Sazs in Wauwatosa understands celiac very well, because members of their staff and some family are celiac. You won't get that "huh?" look from the staff.

Double posting, here, since I said the same thing in Pondy's thread, but I noticed on the facebook page that a cookbook author with a new gluten free cake book out is having an event at a bookstore on Downer in MKE on Friday the 25th of March. I figured I would try to make my way there, just for a taste of cake, if nothing else. If anyone else wants to make plans to meet there to practice our secret handshake, just let us know here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Terri O Rookie

Hi all--sure wish I would have tried this part of the forum earlier! I wouldhave headed to that book signing in Milwaukee on Friday! I live a bit nearer to Madison than Milwaukee...ahorsesoul--I do believe I have met you on another forum years ago that had nothing to do with Celiac. I used goatlady then. (well I still do occasionally!) I guess I will check out a little more of this area! T

pondy Contributor

Hi all--sure wish I would have tried this part of the forum earlier! I wouldhave headed to that book signing in Milwaukee on Friday! I live a bit nearer to Madison than Milwaukee...ahorsesoul--I do believe I have met you on another forum years ago that had nothing to do with Celiac. I used goatlady then. (well I still do occasionally!) I guess I will check out a little more of this area! T

Hi Terri O!

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

From what I've read here, there are some good, gluten free conscious places to eat in Madison. I'm about 45 minutes from there, but I love that town & really want to check out a restaurant or two - I'd be up for a little road trip :D

Anyway, welcome to "this part of the forum"

Best,

Pondy

Terri O Rookie

Hi Terri O!

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

From what I've read here, there are some good, gluten free conscious places to eat in Madison. I'm about 45 minutes from there, but I love that town & really want to check out a restaurant or two - I'd be up for a little road trip :D

Anyway, welcome to "this part of the forum"

Best,

Pondy

THanks for the Welcome Pondy! Yes there are supposed to be quite a few places in Madison. I have been referred to the "Silly Yak" bakery...isnt that a great name? I am about 25 minutes from East Towne Mall East of Lake Mills. I would certainly welcome a copilot going to Madison! I seem to always get turned around finding new places...although I am getting much better in that town now that my daughter goes to the University there! Terri O

• 1 month later...
confusedwife Newbie

THanks for the Welcome Pondy! Yes there are supposed to be quite a few places in Madison. I have been referred to the "Silly Yak" bakery...isnt that a great name? I am about 25 minutes from East Towne Mall East of Lake Mills. I would certainly welcome a copilot going to Madison! I seem to always get turned around finding new places...although I am getting much better in that town now that my daughter goes to the University there! Terri O

hello all i just found this thread. Im from Fort Atkinson between Milwaukee and Madison. Travel mostly to Milwaukee area. I would love to found out any tips you all might have in these areas. I have found it hard in my little town not having much for me to purchase.

Terri O Rookie

hello all i just found this thread. Im from Fort Atkinson between Milwaukee and Madison. Travel mostly to Milwaukee area. I would love to found out any tips you all might have in these areas. I have found it hard in my little town not having much for me to purchase.

Hey I sent you a PM! Pondy and I have been wanting to get together to go to Madison...maybe we can all go? Terri O

• 4 months later...
Chris-M Newbie

Hey I sent you a PM! Pondy and I have been wanting to get together to go to Madison...maybe we can all go? Terri O

Hey all. just found this site. from good ole' sheboygan

• 5 months later...
BrianV Newbie

I'm newly diagnosed and from Appleton, and thankfully we've got a few really great resources here. It's been crazy trying to adjust to a gluten free lifestyle, but thankfully there's a few small stores that sell a lot of great products, and even a couple of bakeries!

Any how, hiya fellow Wisconsinites :)

• 1 month later...
trayne91 Apprentice

Hello all. I've had a positive blood test and waiting to get endo done next week. From Lake Geneva, WI. Nice to meet you all.

pondy Contributor

Hello all. I've had a positive blood test and waiting to get endo done next week. From Lake Geneva, WI. Nice to meet you all.

Hi & welcome! I'm a fellow Wisconsonite - from West Bend - probably a little over an hour north of you.

Archived