This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Is So Humiliating Sometimes

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I had a very emotional night. I was so bloated from getting glutened by Wendy's chili (I'm sure they Cc'd it with crumbs or something), but I hadn't gone to my salsa class for a month so I went anyway. It's at a night club and we stay and dance after so everyone is very dressed up. Dress to impress and all.

I was talking to a male friend of mine and then this other guy walks up to me and whispers in my ear (thank God he whispered and didn't humiliate me in front of my friend) "My girlfriend wanted me to ask if you are pregnant. She's a month pregnant and she wanted to know if you are. You look pregnant so are you? Are you pregnant?"

I was FLOORED. I'm wearing tight jeans and a tight top so I feel totally exposed now. I told him that was mean and I kept telling him "Go away.You're being rude to me." Then he felt stupid and was like "It was my girlfriend not me. She made me ask you." I said "F-- you!" to him because he would not stop and wouldn't go away. Then my friend started to intervene. He had no clue what the guy was saying to me and thankfully did NOT ask. The music was loud so he couldn't hear anything. I think he assumed the guy was hitting on me or something.

The jerk finally walked away and it took every ounce of my strength not to start sobbing right there. I forced myself to do more dancing but I was so self conscious and sucking in my gut as hard as I could, so then it was hard to breathe so I had to stop doing that.

EVERYONE knows you do not ask that question of someone unless they look like they are going to pop. I'm not THAT bloated.

Horrible. I was having SO much fun too and it was very hard to concentrate on dancing after that. The next guy I danced with I kept messing up.

I'm so upset. I stayed another hour and then cried my eyes out on the way home. I HATE celiac!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Oh my god what a jerk!!! You are gorgeous in your profile picture and I bet you looked great. You can't let a jerk and his girlfriend who are too stupid and rude to ignore a little bloating make you feel bad and ruin your night.

srall Contributor

That was pretty rude I have to say. I just had that happen with my daughter a few months ago. I had eaten something evil (although I don't think it was gluten...might have been corn). Anyhow, my husband had to come home early from work because I was in so much pain. My daughter came into the bathroom (because she has yet to learn boundaries where I"m concerned) and I was bloated to about the size of a six month pregnant belly. She was saying "Mama...you are pregnant. You CAN have another baby." It was sort of funny/heartbreaking/annoying...but it took a few minutes of convincing her that it was juat a food rxn.

At least you can take consolation in the fact that he asked because you were really bloated that one night from something you ate rather than someone who always looks pregnant but isn't. I wouldn't sweat it. I hope you feel better now.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I can't relate to that particular circumstance, but can completely agree that Celiac can be so humiliating sometimes!

I've learned how to flush the toilet at just the right moment (courtesy flush!) so people can't hear that I'm MURDERING the bathroom. I've also learned to lift the seat and make sure I've not left "evidence" of my crime before I leave the bathroom!

UGH!!!

Jestgar Rising Star

Sorry honey. It's not celiac disease that's bad, it's those amazingly rude people that show up in our lives sometimes. I hope that was the last one you meet for a very long time.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It was rather rude of him. That 'wonderful' side effect is why I wear so much loose clothing. I love that tight leggings and loose tops are so in style now so I can still show off my legs but hide the belly. Hopefully by the next dance you will be unbloated. I hope you feel better soon and don't let that guy's unthinking comment get you down.

finally diagnosed Apprentice

I had a very emotional night. I was so bloated from getting glutened by Wendy's chili (I'm sure they Cc'd it with crumbs or something), but I hadn't gone to my salsa class for a month so I went anyway. It's at a night club and we stay and dance after so everyone is very dressed up. Dress to impress and all.

I was talking to a male friend of mine and then this other guy walks up to me and whispers in my ear (thank God he whispered and didn't humiliate me in front of my friend) "My girlfriend wanted me to ask if you are pregnant. She's a month pregnant and she wanted to know if you are. You look pregnant so are you? Are you pregnant?"

I was FLOORED. I'm wearing tight jeans and a tight top so I feel totally exposed now. I told him that was mean and I kept telling him "Go away.You're being rude to me." Then he felt stupid and was like "It was my girlfriend not me. She made me ask you." I said "F-- you!" to him because he would not stop and wouldn't go away. Then my friend started to intervene. He had no clue what the guy was saying to me and thankfully did NOT ask. The music was loud so he couldn't hear anything. I think he assumed the guy was hitting on me or something.

The jerk finally walked away and it took every ounce of my strength not to start sobbing right there. I forced myself to do more dancing but I was so self conscious and sucking in my gut as hard as I could, so then it was hard to breathe so I had to stop doing that.

EVERYONE knows you do not ask that question of someone unless they look like they are going to pop. I'm not THAT bloated.

Horrible. I was having SO much fun too and it was very hard to concentrate on dancing after that. The next guy I danced with I kept messing up.

I'm so upset. I stayed another hour and then cried my eyes out on the way home. I HATE celiac!!!!!!!

sorry this happened to you... some people have no class.... as for the girlfriend... why was she in a nightclub being one month pregnant... you could have came back with that... i am sure you looked great, and kudos to you going salsa dancing... sounds like fun..

she is just jealous.... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I think I would have said something like you did about how rude. I'm just fat!

heatherjane Contributor

Sorry about your experience. I love to salsa too...it's one thing that makes me feel good about myself and forget about my celiac. Don't let one rude person steal your joy in it. :)

psawyer Proficient

as for the girlfriend... why was she in a nightclub being one month pregnant... you could have came back with that...

I don't think that it is fair make assumptions. All the clubs I have been to serve nonalcoholic beverages as well as alcoholic ones.

K8ling Enthusiast

I am so sorry!! It sucks when people ask that.

Lameo's.

tictax707 Apprentice

oh honey I am so sorry. I hope you can take solace in the fact that it's only bloating and will do down in a few days as opposed to actual fat. You are a beautiful woman, inside & out, and I think it's fantastic that you are still going out and about even when you have been glutened instead of staying home and being a hermit feeling sorry for yourself.

Regardless, I do understand your pain on the bloating - it happens to me too and I feel so frustrated because I am an endurance athlete so the rest of me is pretty lean, but then I eat something bad and I look totally ridiculous with this big old round belly. <_< I hope you are feeling better by now...!!

finally diagnosed Apprentice

I don't think that it is fair make assumptions. All the clubs I have been to serve nonalcoholic beverages as well as alcoholic ones.

peter... i was not making assumptions regarding the alcholol.... i was remarking on the pregnancy.... lets not assume... :D

i-geek Rookie

peter... i was not making assumptions regarding the alcholol.... i was remarking on the pregnancy.... lets not assume... :D

I didn't know that pregnant women weren't supposed to go out and have fun with their partners before the baby is born (especially in CA, which if I'm remembering correctly, has a smoking ban on indoor establishments).

i-geek Rookie

Original topic: I'm really sorry that happened, hon. I hate the belly bloat. Mine's bad lately because apparently I've damaged my gut enough while traveling that I need to go back off of dairy until I heal. I work down the hall from a couple of fitness freaks who have no qualms about commenting on other people's bodies, so that makes me even more self-conscious. Ugh. Sometimes I hate people.

jerseyangel Proficient

The guy was an insensitive boob. I'm sorry that happened to you :(

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Just be glad that you didn't have gas too. I remember a ballet class in which there were little sound effects with each "sauter".

kayo Explorer

What a jerk! Everyone knows you don't ask a woman if she's pregnant.

Though this did happen to me last summer. I was gluten free but the bloating was still at an all time high. I know now that it was probably the SIBO. I did look pregnant. I'd say 8 months, no joke. At a block party the neighbor's son (about 7 yrs old) loudly asked me, are you going to have that baby soon?

I just laughed it off. Had he been an adult, I might have slugged him. ;)

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I got that comment right in the middle of my infertility battle from someone who knew me, but not my situation. It was pretty hard. People can be pretty awful. At least you can blame it on his alcohol and your gluten. I hope your normal belly is back soon.

Thanks guys. I love this forum! Sadly I do have a belly. I'm overweight and quite a bit has settled there, so when I'm bloated it's even worse. But it's not round and all like a preggo tummy. At any rate, you just don't ask that.

I'm laughing about the discussion about a preggo woman in a nightclub. I danced with my first one until I was 8 months along. Hardly anyone drinks at salsa clubs anyway. Too much spinning in the dancing.

Stacy hated pancake Sunday Newbie

Thanks guys. I love this forum! Sadly I do have a belly. I'm overweight and quite a bit has settled there, so when I'm bloated it's even worse. But it's not round and all like a preggo tummy. At any rate, you just don't ask that.

I'm laughing about the discussion about a preggo woman in a nightclub. I danced with my first one until I was 8 months along. Hardly anyone drinks at salsa clubs anyway. Too much spinning in the dancing.

I'd be curious to know how long she was dating her boyfriend....how many people noticeably 'show' at 1 month? And why was she so adamant that he ask you? Me thinks that she was either hoping for some sort of validation of her pregnancy timeline or she is just extremely catty.

I'd be curious to know how long she was dating her boyfriend....how many people noticeably 'show' at 1 month? And why was she so adamant that he ask you? Me thinks that she was either hoping for some sort of validation of her pregnancy timeline or she is just extremely catty.

I think she wanted to know if it was safe to dance. That's the funny thing too. I used to be a professional dancer and dance teacher (legitimate theatrical dancing, not THAT kind LOL)and I've been doing salsa and other latin dance for 12 years. So I was flying around the dance floor. I have a lot of very advanced friends I dance with and they spin me like a top. Obviously I wasn't pregnant because I can't see a preggo woman spinning and doing dips and stuff like I was doing.

I danced when I was pregnant but it was way toned down.

Aphreal Contributor

OMG everyone knows you don't ask. In fact unless I know for a fact, I say nothing at all! I have been in that situation. Someone asked when i was due...when I wasn't pg.

I have to roll my eyes because at 1 month you dont have anything to show for your baby making efforts. It sounds like he just wanted to be an a$$

I totally understand how vulnerable it made you feel. You let it roll right of you sweetheart! He is not worth your time.

precious831 Contributor

Hugs!!!

I know the feeling, oh and months ago I think I was glutened by the chili there, or maybe it was just the beans,too much beans. Not for sure but I avoid that place now. Anyway, this is sad but when I get glutened, I feel/look like I'm 4-5 months pregnant. True story. I feel so bloated!

Dellers Apprentice

Hugs!!!

I know the feeling, oh and months ago I think I was glutened by the chili there, or maybe it was just the beans,too much beans. Not for sure but I avoid that place now. Anyway, this is sad but when I get glutened, I feel/look like I'm 4-5 months pregnant. True story. I feel so bloated!

How rude of him ! you do not ask that to a woman and the girlfriend should have known that. I had a similar thing with a doctor two weeks ago. I was very bloated on the gluten challenge my GP sent me down to the hospital as I had high pitched bowel sounds. They decided in the hospital I must have an ectopic pregnancy since I was bloated and had tummy pain.............. ya sure doc :blink:

Archived