This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Is So Humiliating Sometimes

sandsurfgirl

sandiz Apprentice

I feel your pain, since coming back from camping I think that I glutened myself. Not being extra careful with my toaster. Anyway I was at work(a seniors living facility) and was feeling bloated when one of the ladies said to her friend "she has gained weight since going on holidays". :o OMG, I felt like crying but had to keep on going with my work and remember that she has "aging problems"

I have been gluten-free for 9 months and have started to notice that I am feeling a little smaller but no weight loss yet and comments like that HURT. If only the people could see what I eat and realize that my body is healing and I don't eat bad things.

Just walk a mile in our shoes and see how it feels people :angry: . Thank god for this site so I can feel like I am not alone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

I have gotten lots of those comments before. The weird thing is a really carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs so my waist is my smaller area! I used to bloat terrible when I ate gluten and one day I was doing a tax return and the receptionist came in to ask if I had gotten one of the donuts they were handing out...well the client decides to speak up and tell me that "donut aren't good for the baby". So I had to tell him I was NOT preggo. I had another incident at a museum where a lady was trying to get my husband to sign up for a membership and asked when we were due. But instead of just saying sorry and dropping it she kept saying over and over "are you sure you aren't pregnant? You look it, really you do". I wanted to die. I cried and cried.

My most recent insulting remark was when I saw an old friend out and as we were saying goodbye he said I look great to have just had a baby. My "baby" is 15! :blink:

Emilushka Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I can't relate to that particular circumstance, but can completely agree that Celiac can be so humiliating sometimes!

I've learned how to flush the toilet at just the right moment (courtesy flush!) so people can't hear that I'm MURDERING the bathroom. I've also learned to lift the seat and make sure I've not left "evidence" of my crime before I leave the bathroom!

UGH!!!

Oh my goodness ... me too! I always have to flush multiple times at home and I hate it. The landlords put in a really wussy toilet and it's so embarrassing. Even with the double-flush it's not always all gone.

I'm new to Celiac so I'm still trying to get rid of my symptoms ... but ugh. I hear you.

I've been so bloated too ... but with all the weight loss I had until my diagnosis, I don't think the bloating was too obvious.

MelindaLee Contributor

I had a very emotional night. I was so bloated from getting glutened by Wendy's chili (I'm sure they Cc'd it with crumbs or something), but I hadn't gone to my salsa class for a month so I went anyway. It's at a night club and we stay and dance after so everyone is very dressed up. Dress to impress and all.

I was talking to a male friend of mine and then this other guy walks up to me and whispers in my ear (thank God he whispered and didn't humiliate me in front of my friend) "My girlfriend wanted me to ask if you are pregnant. She's a month pregnant and she wanted to know if you are. You look pregnant so are you? Are you pregnant?"

I was FLOORED. I'm wearing tight jeans and a tight top so I feel totally exposed now. I told him that was mean and I kept telling him "Go away.You're being rude to me." Then he felt stupid and was like "It was my girlfriend not me. She made me ask you." I said "F-- you!" to him because he would not stop and wouldn't go away. Then my friend started to intervene. He had no clue what the guy was saying to me and thankfully did NOT ask. The music was loud so he couldn't hear anything. I think he assumed the guy was hitting on me or something.

The jerk finally walked away and it took every ounce of my strength not to start sobbing right there. I forced myself to do more dancing but I was so self conscious and sucking in my gut as hard as I could, so then it was hard to breathe so I had to stop doing that.

EVERYONE knows you do not ask that question of someone unless they look like they are going to pop. I'm not THAT bloated.

Horrible. I was having SO much fun too and it was very hard to concentrate on dancing after that. The next guy I danced with I kept messing up.

I'm so upset. I stayed another hour and then cried my eyes out on the way home. I HATE celiac!!!!!!!

Chances are these ignorant people would have asked the pope if he was a jew because of his hat. Don't let ignorant people bother you. You are better than that! :P

Marilyn R Community Regular

I can tolerate well meaning people making a comment about my physique, and I can tolerate ignorant people making a comment about my physique, but I've never had to endure what you endured, an ignorant jerk who couldn't take a really big hint and persisted. I probably would have left in a huff, so kudos to you for staying at the dance and having a good time. I hope that you can forget that jerk's major faux paux and remember with glee what a good time you had dancing.

It's easier to withstand the comments people make when we're in a better state of mind and health, but it really hits hard when you're sick from being glutened.

You were kind to make excuses for him about his girlfriend and her pregnancy. But I still don't think that's an excuse for being a totally offensive inappropriate jerk.

Way to go!

K8ling Enthusiast

I had a professor ask me today if I got glutened because I still have a bump from the baby (I am REALLY thin so I puff up almost immediately). I didn't know what to say, and before I could say anything he said "Oh! You're pregnant! I totally forgot!" I had to go in the bathroom to cry. I didn't even correct him.

Ugh.

TiffersAnn Apprentice

OH my goodness. That's horrible. I would have yelled back at him too. People should know better. I hope you go back next time, not being glutened, and knock 'em dead.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived