This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A *truely* Gf Potatoe Chip?

anerissara

anerissara Enthusiast

I have managed to gluten myself with potatoe chips on more than one occation :angry: . The last time, I checked the label of Kettle Chips (I think it was some kind of cheese flavor) and it looked quite safe, and I ate a lot of them. I felt really sick several days later and couldn't figure out why. The next time I looked at the lable on the chips they had very nicely added "This product is not gluten free" right there below the ingredients! I still saw nothing I'd have picked up on listed, so at least they were nice enough to warn you.

My question is: does anyone know of an ultra-safe chip? Preferrably one with some sort of flavor involved? I'd especially love to find one made on a gluten-free dedicated line, as I'm wondering how much cross-contamination has been building up and causing me grief.

Thanks! I'm getting really sick of plain corn chips.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Lays STAXX....they are made on a dedicated gluten free line.

anerissara Enthusiast

Oh, yea! Do they come in different flavors (I'm missing cheese flavored chips!).

Thanks, Kaitie...you are always so helpful when it comes to finding gluten-free products!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They come in multiple flavors....pizza,sour cream&onion, BBQ, original....I don't know if I am missing any...there may be more.

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice

I've always found chips to be a easy call so to speak. Usually, they are just potato's, salt, and some oil...

Now that you brought up cross contamination I'm getting worried...

Kaitausa,

I haven't heard of "staxx" what is it?

Is it just a variety of "Lays"?? (I eat Lays pototo chips all the time)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The Lays Staxx are kind of like pringles and they come in a container similar to pringles. They are really good.

I also eat other Lays chips all the time.

Basically with everything you eat that is made at a facility where they have wheat and all there will be a chance for cross contamination.

However, there are so many gluten free products that are made within those facilities...if we cut them out because of them possibly being contaminated then I don't think we would be left with many choices because alot of brands are like that.

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
The Lays Staxx are kind of like pringles and they come in a container similar to pringles. They are really good.

Wow!!

I just posted and you responded immediatly!!

This forum ROCKS!!!!!

Its AWESOME celiacs helping celiacs!!!

Its comforting to know that your not the only one dealing with this desease!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

There is a cheddar cheese flavor of the Lays Stax. ;)

...and they're definitely safe...dedicated lines and have gluten-free written on the side of the container near the ingredients list.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I think baked lays contain gluten?? I never let my son get those because one time I thought there was gluten. I never triple check myself, so I could be wrong. Am I? :huh:

jenvan Collaborator

I thought Lay's baked ruffles chips were okay. Look at this response posted online. Kind-of confusing... What do they mean only the "regular flavoring" of these chips is okay....and then they list chips with flavoring ???

PS--Anyone eat baked Kettle chips. I used to looove them, but they told me that couldn't say whether their chips were really gluten-free or not. I always hate that response :(

Frito Lay (disclaimer: "The [ following] products do not contain gluten. They are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. The lines are washed between batches; however, a slight residue may remain on the line. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.) *Only the regular flavors (i.e., no seasoning or flavor added) of these products are gluten-free. Seasoned or flavored products may contain Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein , often derived from wheat.": BAKED LAY'S brand Original Potato Crisps; BAKED LAY'S brand Sour Cream and Onion Potato Crisps; Baked TOSTITOS brand Original Flavor Baked White Corn Tortilla Chips*; Baked TOSTITOS brand Unsalted Flavor White Corn Tortilla Chips; BAKEN-ETS brand Fried Pork Skins*; CHEETOS brand Cheese Flavored Snacks (all varieties); CHESTERS brand Butter Flavored Popcorn; CRACKER JACK brand Original; CRACKER JACK brand Original Fat Free; CRACKER JACK brand Butter Toffee; CRACKER JACK brand Butter Toffee Fat Free; FRITO-LAY brand Bean Dip (all varieties); FRITO-LAY brand NUT HARVEST Nuts (all varieties); FRITOS brand Bar-B-Q Flavored Corn Chips; FRITOS brand Chili Cheese Flavored Corn Chips; FRITOS brand Corn Chips; FRITOS brand Dip Size Corn Chips; FRITOS brand SCOOPS brand Corn Chips; FRITOS brand Sabrositas Lime 'N Chile Flavored Corn Chips; FRITOS Brand Texas Grill Style Honey Barbecue Flavored Corn Chips; FRITOS brand WILD 'N MILD RANCH brand Flavor Corn Chips; LAY'S brand Potato Chips; LAY'S brand KC Masterpiece Potato Chips; LAY'S brand Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips; LAY'S brand Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips; LAY'S brand Deli Style Potato Chips; LAY'S brand Deli Style Cheddar Potato Chips; LAY'S brand Deli Style Spicy Chili Potato Chips; LAY'S brand WOW! brand Original Potato Chips*; MUNCHOS brand Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand Cheddar and Sour Cream Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand KC Masterpiece Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand Reduced Fat Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand The Works Potato Chips; RUFFLES brand WOW! brand Original Potato Chips*; SANTITAS brand 100% White Corn Tortilla Chips; SANTITAS brand Restaurant Style Tortilla Strips; SANTITAS brand Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips; SMARTFOOD brand Reduced Fat White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn (Popped); SMARTFOOD brand White Cheddar Cheese Flavored Popcorn (Popped); SMARTFOOD brand Toffee Crunch Artificially Flavored Popcorn (Popped); TOSTITOS brand 100% White Corn Bite Size Tortilla Chips; TOSTITOS brand 100% White Corn Tortilla Chips-Crispy Rounds; TOSTITOS brand 100% White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips; TOSTITOS brand Salsa-N-Cream Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips; TOSTITOS brand Unsalted Flavor Baked White Corn Tortilla Chips; WAVY-LAY'S brand Potato Chips; WAVY-LAY's brand Au Gratin Flavored Potato Chips

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I once had a nasty reaction to lays regular Stax and I thought it was gluten but I'm beginning to think it was a dairy contamination rather than a gluten one. My reactions to dairy are quite bad sometimes. All the stax are gluten free and are produced on dedicated lines (at least the ones in the US are anyway), however, they are not all DAIRY free... so... they would be dairy contaminated. Therefore, the moral of my story is don't eat them if you have severe reactions to dairy ;)

Guest gfinnebraska

Cape Cod Chips also make some gluten free varieties. Their plain chips are gluten-free, along with some jalapeno ones. They are made on dedicated lines and are really good!! Here is their web site:

Open Original Shared Link

I have also had the Staxx ~ they are really good!! :)

Guest gfinnebraska

P.S. Make sure you ask them (Cape Cod Chips) which ones are gluten-free ~ not all of their chips are!! :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

The Baked Lays are theoretically gluten-free, but subject to possible contamination.

Jenvan... I think they mean the regular baked lays ruffles are gluten-free, as in there might be some other "flavor" like... cheddar cheese lays ruffles or sour cream and onion flavored baked ruffles, etc.

Archived