2 replies to this topic

#1 OleSoftie

OleSoftie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:53 AM

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with gluten-free - blood tests and intestinal biopsy confirmed. Now my doctor is very concerned about my Iron Deficiency Anemia. My iron count is so low that he has scheduled me for an "Iron Transfusion" next week. Has anyone else had this?
:(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

noy myself, but another celiac that I talked to once said she had to do this every
3 months. From the sound of our conversation she cheats on her diet on a regular basis.

#3 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:26 PM

Paula,
You were wondering about iron deficiency anemia. My Hgb had dropped to 5.4 (normal for a female is 12 to 14). I was very tired all the time but the gastroenterologist that I was seeing at the time didn't diagnose my celiac. I received several blood transfussions trying to get my Hgb and iron levels up----to no avail. After finally being diagnosed three years ago my body finally straightened out but I couldn't get my iron levels up with oral medications because my tummy wouldn't tolerate them. Finally, I was given an iron infusion (it takes about six hours for the infusion) but I felt like a different person after having it-------so much more pep and energy.

At times I've felt a bit tired and wondered if my iron level was going down but I've always bounced back so I really don't think that was my problem. I craved crushed ice constantly and I've not reallly cared for it since my infusion.

I can't begin to tell you how much better I felt. Good luck. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference it will make................Judy :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: