Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Very Bad Night Sweating...what Could It Be?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#1 shendler

shendler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey

So for as long as I can remember vie also had very bad night sweats. I dont have this problem during the day just at night. It isn't the temperature in the room that is causing the problem nor is it from wearing hot clothes.

It's getting very bad and when I wake up in the middle of the night Im soaking wet. What could it be?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

If it's getting worse (& I can see that you've been off gluten for over a year), then I would suggest talking to a doctor.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. It's just that it could be a symptom of something serious. Or not.

Although if the M.D. doesn't find anything, I will say that a holistic health practicioner (Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist, ayurvedic doctor) would still find it to be a serious indicator that something is awry with your body.

#3 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

Have you been strict with your diet? The reason I ask is because I suffer horrible night sweats (buckets!) when glutened, and it was awful before going gluten free. It has miraculously stopped, as long as I don't get accidental gluten.
How old are you? Could it be perimenopause or menopause?
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#4 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

I used to go through 6 or 7 t-shirts a night they were so wet. Had been off gluten for 3 or 4 years at that point too. The docs could not figure it out but ordered a total blood work up and found I was again without a number of hormones and vitamins. A month on supplements and it was fine. Still happens once or twice every 4 or 5 months if I get glutened.
Good luck

Hey

So for as long as I can remember vie also had very bad night sweats. I dont have this problem during the day just at night. It isn't the temperature in the room that is causing the problem nor is it from wearing hot clothes.

It's getting very bad and when I wake up in the middle of the night Im soaking wet. What could it be?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 shendler

shendler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

I am not eating gluten. I prepare all my food in a gluten free kitchen. Plus when I do eat gluten I can tell within 30 minutes based on how tired I get. I've been to the doctor but there is nothing in my blood that indicates a problem. I'm only 25 so I do not think it is menopause. Plus it only happens at night.

#6 'lynrn

'lynrn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

There are many conditions not related to gluten that can cause night sweats, one of which is TB/Tuberculosis...yes it is still very much alive and around us...not saying it is...but early infections, this included, can cause severe night sweats. Go back to your doctor. TB can often be ruled out by a simple skin test or a chest x-ray. Night sweats tell you SOMETHING is going on....

#7 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:48 PM

I would try to get additional blood test for micronutrients and hormones. As a celiac the body does not get everything it needs. Also Sweats can be from other allergies you get after celiac. It was 5 years but now I'm off of all dairy too.lots of changes can happen so for me it was a matter of bugging the doc to give me as many tests as he could think of and then get the appropriate supplements.
good luck
ken

I am not eating gluten. I prepare all my food in a gluten free kitchen. Plus when I do eat gluten I can tell within 30 minutes based on how tired I get. I've been to the doctor but there is nothing in my blood that indicates a problem. I'm only 25 so I do not think it is menopause. Plus it only happens at night.

Japanese proverb

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

I tend to think it could be caused by a low-level fever, possibly a food intolerance reaction. There are lots of things other than food intolerances that could cause night sweating I think, but it is a as good a place to start looking as any.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 undiagnosedillness

undiagnosedillness

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I've been told Thyroid problems can cause night sweats. I get them too and day sweats (dreadful things, not looking forward to summer this year) and I have a goitre, yet thyroid function blood tests always normal for me

Maybe ask for thyroid testing?

Samantha :)
Undiagnosed 6 years now, please god make me healthy again.

#10 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

HAve them check the parathyroids by ultrasound too. That regulates something with calcium which also affects my sweating.
good luck

I'm not 100% sure but I've been told Thyroid problems can cause night sweats. I get them too and day sweats (dreadful things, not looking forward to summer this year) and I have a goitre, yet thyroid function blood tests always normal for me

Maybe ask for thyroid testing?

Samantha :)
Undiagnosed

Japanese proverb

#11 minniejack

minniejack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hey

Initially, that's what the #1 complaint that we kept going to the doctors for my DS now 15. He ended up with vomiting, ADHD, diarrhea, acne.... He's been gluten-free for almost 2 yrs and no night sweats, stomach issues gone, ADHD gone--we're just dealing with normal teenage issues. Amen!

Oh and at first we had to eliminate sulphites and milk products--his body can handle them now, though.

#12 up late

up late

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

I get them too, oddly more when it's cold, it's when I get shivering with them I go to the Dr.

Low grade fever could cause night sweats. Did the dr check your urine for a urinary tract infection? They can be chronic and don't always have pain with them.

#13 Lizking531

Lizking531

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:23 AM

Yeah - I used to get horrible night sweats as well. That was one of the indicators originally to go to the doctor. When I originally got my bacteria overgrowth issues under control, my waist slimmed down a lot & the seat went away. Now many symptoms have crept back in, but luckily, the sweats have stayed away for the most part.

For me, it felt like more of a response, like something was going on to create the heat that being dissipated thru my sweat & it would make sense that intolerable foods & bacterias were having a party & heating things up in there.

#14 BoydBT

BoydBT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

I would try to get additional blood test for micronutrients and hormones. As a celiac the body does not get everything it needs. Also Sweats can be from other allergies you get after celiac. It was 5 years but now I'm off of all dairy too.lots of changes can happen so for me it was a matter of bugging the doc to give me as many tests as he could think of and then get the appropriate supplements.
good luck
ken

All this I never knew, thank God I joined this forum. The stupid Doctors have no time to really go into all this. But I too have night sweats , I get soaked.
It doesn't happen often now but yes but a few times a week. I must be more careful.
What does CC mean exactly. Crappy Celiac.
I am glad to have found out why, now.

#15 Jess27

Jess27

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I to get very bad night sweats, Iv had it for about a year and a half and its every night! I wake up all the time drenched in sweat from head to toe and it stinks! I have been to the doctors and have had so many blood tests. I have been tested for Diabetes, HIV, Thyroid problems, and TB. They all came back negative. The doctor has also ruled out early menopause and a few other things. I have also been tested for celiac but that came back negative to and they wont do a biopsy. My little sister has been diagnosed with chronic celiacs but her blood tests came back negative as well, it wasn't until she had a biopsy that she was diagnosed. I went gluten free for about a month and the sweating halved. So im guessing that i really should go gluten free to see if the sweating stops al together?   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: