Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Helped My Friend Make Cupcakes... Ugh

7 posts in this topic

My friend needed some serious help making cupcakes. I volunteered because she had no one else and this is a very good friend of mine. We baked regular wheat-containing cupcakes for 5 hours! I made sure not to put my hands in my mouth or breathe too deeply when mixing the flour.

But today I'm sick. I haven't felt this bad in a LONG time. Stupid me for helping, but I didn't think it would make me sick. I really didn't.

:(

I guess I just needed a place to vent to people who understand.

Ads by Google:

Oh yes, the ole 'but I did not inhale' excuse. lol

It will get us every time. Sorry you are sick. Make it twice as bad to be helping a friend.

I guess sometimes we do learn the hard way. Personally I wouldn't have done it. Reason why is that some of the gluten you inhale gets stuck on the mucous membranes, some of which you later ingest = gluten exposure. It wouldn't always make you sick if it was only a small exposure, but it's hard to know how much will do it.

That's the same reason why I won't go into bakeries, and wont hang around near them if I can avoid it. I used to work in a bakery and used to come home with a film of flour on me even after just a couple of hours, so I know just how much flour can get in the air when you bake.

Hope you recover from the glutening quickly - you should get credit for glutening from helping out your friend :)

Hope you recover from the glutening quickly - you should get credit for glutening from helping out your friend :)

OH yes... she has apologized profusely and thanked me a million times. I have also told her that I won't be able to help her ever again with that sort of thing. She understands. I'm feeling a bit better today. Positive attitude and happy thoughts are pushing me onward.

Thanks for listening. :P

Thanks for posting. It helps me to know that it really would not be a good idea to do this. It seems like it should be O.K. in theory. You didn't eat the stuff.

I made regular wheat pancakes once for my family right after I went gluten-free... wasn't good. I understand. However, if memory serves correctly, the effects didn't last as long as they normally do.

Feel better soon!

My friend needed some serious help making cupcakes. I volunteered because she had no one else and this is a very good friend of mine. We baked regular wheat-containing cupcakes for 5 hours! I made sure not to put my hands in my mouth or breathe too deeply when mixing the flour.

But today I'm sick. I haven't felt this bad in a LONG time. Stupid me for helping, but I didn't think it would make me sick. I really didn't.

:(

I guess I just needed a place to vent to people who understand.

You can always make the gluten free cupcakes with her using Betty Crocker. Those taste the same as regular cupcakes.