6 replies to this topic

#1 TiffersAnn

TiffersAnn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

My friend needed some serious help making cupcakes. I volunteered because she had no one else and this is a very good friend of mine. We baked regular wheat-containing cupcakes for 5 hours! I made sure not to put my hands in my mouth or breathe too deeply when mixing the flour.

But today I'm sick. I haven't felt this bad in a LONG time. Stupid me for helping, but I didn't think it would make me sick. I really didn't.
:(

I guess I just needed a place to vent to people who understand.
Tiffany
Gluten-free since Oct '05
Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Oh yes, the ole 'but I did not inhale' excuse. lol

It will get us every time. Sorry you are sick. Make it twice as bad to be helping a friend.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#3 gf_soph

gf_soph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

I guess sometimes we do learn the hard way. Personally I wouldn't have done it. Reason why is that some of the gluten you inhale gets stuck on the mucous membranes, some of which you later ingest = gluten exposure. It wouldn't always make you sick if it was only a small exposure, but it's hard to know how much will do it.

That's the same reason why I won't go into bakeries, and wont hang around near them if I can avoid it. I used to work in a bakery and used to come home with a film of flour on me even after just a couple of hours, so I know just how much flour can get in the air when you bake.

Hope you recover from the glutening quickly - you should get credit for glutening from helping out your friend :)

#4 TiffersAnn

TiffersAnn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Hope you recover from the glutening quickly - you should get credit for glutening from helping out your friend :)

OH yes... she has apologized profusely and thanked me a million times. I have also told her that I won't be able to help her ever again with that sort of thing. She understands. I'm feeling a bit better today. Positive attitude and happy thoughts are pushing me onward.

Thanks for listening. :P
Tiffany
Gluten-free since Oct '05
Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for posting. It helps me to know that it really would not be a good idea to do this. It seems like it should be O.K. in theory. You didn't eat the stuff.

#6 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

I made regular wheat pancakes once for my family right after I went gluten-free... wasn't good. I understand. However, if memory serves correctly, the effects didn't last as long as they normally do.

Feel better soon!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#7 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

My friend needed some serious help making cupcakes. I volunteered because she had no one else and this is a very good friend of mine. We baked regular wheat-containing cupcakes for 5 hours! I made sure not to put my hands in my mouth or breathe too deeply when mixing the flour.

But today I'm sick. I haven't felt this bad in a LONG time. Stupid me for helping, but I didn't think it would make me sick. I really didn't.
:(

I guess I just needed a place to vent to people who understand.

You can always make the gluten free cupcakes with her using Betty Crocker. Those taste the same as regular cupcakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: