7 replies to this topic

#1 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

I have to supply up to 40 gluten-free snacks for several events. Can I supply Nature valley granola bars (oats and honey, and dark chocolate) and feel safe about it for others, we have no oat sensitivity.

Any other idea's for a prepackaged, individually portioned snack, must fit into health and wellness category and will not break my bank account.

Also must have a shelf life of up to 2 months. Oh yeah and should be kid friendly. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

There are not gluten-free. The oats are likely contaminated. I would not be happy if you gave them to my celiac kid. Would fruit snacks work? Sometimes my grocery has small packs of planters peanuts 10 for a $1.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 hawkgirl98

hawkgirl98

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

While granola bars are out, Nature Valley does have a nut bar that is gluten free - it's called something like Roasted Almond Crunch and the box says very clearly gluten free across the front. I snack on them all the time. They can be as much as $4.69 a box in some stores, but Target generally has them for less than $3 a box.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

gluten free trail mix
individual prepackaged fruit ie:
apples , carrotsticks
Glutino cereal bars
individual gluten-free pretzels
jungle grub bars

hth
mamaw

#5 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:31 AM

Hi Mizzo,

I just read your post...I am trying to think of mainstream,less expensive gluten-free snacks that are prepackaged. I'm coming up with:

Pirate Booty
Fruit by the Foot
Envirokids chocolate "krispy" bars (there is a coupon out everywhere for buy 2 boxes get 1.50 off)
Glutino pretzels
Annie's gluten-free bunny fruit snack packs

I can think of several more gluten-free ones but they are not cheap..Ian's cookie buttons, and then you have the less healthy but cheaper Frito Lay products like cheese puffs/curls/etc that come in the big bags w/snack pack sizes.

Good luck.... Em

#6 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:08 AM

Individual portion packs of foods.

Cheese:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://burnettdairy....age.300x207.jpg

Fruit Cups:

http://www.doleeurop... banner_UK.jpg

fruit snacks:

http://www.sunmaid.c...sins_6pak_s.jpg

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Single Serve Chips: (not sure if Gluten Free)

http://www.qvc.com/q...105110.ref.CJ4?

Fruit/Nut snacks:

Posted Image

The possibilities are endless.

Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#7 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:18 AM

HI everyone,

Trying to keep within the Gluten free, peanut free , healthy snack, shelf stable, kid friendly and reasonably priced guidelines are tough. Thanks for a few great idea's.

Maureen

#8 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

Applesauce cups, pudding cups or Jello cups might work. Just Tomatoes makes some really cool individually packed ones too - they have Back to School, Easter and 4th of July labeling to choose from: http://www.justtomat...om/BTSSB-P.html . . . although those are on the pricier side, but my kids got a kick out of them for occasional party treats. Little raisin and cranberry boxes may be a more economical version. I wonder if Chex cereals has started making little individual boxes? That would be fun. Can you use a big package for distribution? Popcorn is one that we often use like that, and it is distributed to the group by dispersing onto napkins for each child. There are also some individual fruit cups too - peaches, pears, pineapple, mandarin orange cups. There are also some that are fruit in gel. Kettles makes individual bags of potato chips, and those may work - I tend to buy them by the case and try to get a better price deal that way. Fruit leather stuff may work well too, and we enjoy the Stretch Island Fruit Company brand.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: