3 replies to this topic

#1 Ready2Recover

Ready2Recover

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:10 AM

I just recently (2 1/2 months) got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and have been feeling better off and on. This last week was so rough for me. My main symptoms were extreme fatigue, muscle aches, basically felt like I had the flu but I knew I didn't. I also had bad night sweats. Today is the first day I feel better and now I am wide awake and it's after 2am. I am so bummed and am need of support. I really thought I could crack this alone but I feeling really frustrated. I guess my question is are these symptoms of getting rid of the gluten or is this because I accidentally ate gluten? I did eat hummus out with veggies (pita was touching the plate but I didn't eat any). I guess I am in denial believing that something that small could really affect me for five full days. Any thoughts or encouragement welcomed.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kay DH

Kay DH

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

I've gotten glutened from labeled gluten-free hummus (processed in a plant that also processes wheat...). Your reaction could be from minor cc, or from continued detox from your gluten years. You don't mention if your being gluten-free is 2.5 months old, or if you have been gluten-free for a longer period of time. One thing I didn't realize once I went completely gluten-free that I am much more sensitive to gluten. Bread touching my food is enough for a reaction. I got cc'd last week from some gluten-free tamales, and it took 5 days to get over all the symptoms. GI takes about 3 days and the lethargy, brain fog, aching feet, rash, and joint aches take about 5 days. Part of the down feeling is the gluten, not just the bummed feeling. Try going completely gluten-free for a week or so and see if your symptoms go away. If you haven't met with a dietitian or nutritionist, now would be a good time. Hopefully someone knowledgeable about celiac and all the places the nasty gluten molecule lurks. It gets much better once you are over the hump of gluten-free. :)

#3 Melissaann829

Melissaann829

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:52 AM

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac and have been gluten-free for 11 days now. I'm having some major detox-type of issues. I have insomnia and body aches all over. Mild joint pain. My skin is terribly dry suddenly (previously it was overly oily). My face and body is going through some weird chemical skin change too, I noticed. I went from normal skin, to oily (almost greasy and gross) before Celiac diagnosis, to now - extremely DRY and flaky - on my face, body and scalp. I am also suddenly suffering from hypoglycemic attacks - starving when i wake up and my blood sugar feels completely OFF. Its really weird! I am Hypoglycemic, but I've had this condition under control for YEARS! WTH, ya know?

#4 Foxx

Foxx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

I just recently (2 1/2 months) got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and have been feeling better off and on. This last week was so rough for me. My main symptoms were extreme fatigue, muscle aches, basically felt like I had the flu but I knew I didn't. I also had bad night sweats. Today is the first day I feel better and now I am wide awake and it's after 2am. I am so bummed and am need of support. I really thought I could crack this alone but I feeling really frustrated. I guess my question is are these symptoms of getting rid of the gluten or is this because I accidentally ate gluten? I did eat hummus out with veggies (pita was touching the plate but I didn't eat any). I guess I am in denial believing that something that small could really affect me for five full days. Any thoughts or encouragement welcomed.

Dear Bummed,

I understand that it can take up to 21 days for gluten toxins to clear your system. I'm in the same boat but, have recently made it beyond the denial into creativity (meal wise at least).

New here too. 28 days and counting...

My daughter and I have been Gluten-Free since September 24th, 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: