20 replies to this topic

#16 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

What exactly are your numbers? I have been on the thyroid forums for ten years, and normal TSH is very very close to 1.
And labs have huge ranges, and many patients are quite symptomatic when their TSH is above 2 already, and teh ranges ofte go up to 5, which is way too high anyway, 2,5 is a better range. Some labs have already started to use 2,5.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Unfortunately, there are different ranges of thyroid "normal" depending on who is doing the talking and the measuring. Also, the acceptable ranges have changed dramatically during the last few years. Can you post your "normal" results???
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

I read somewhere that all PCOS patients are hypothyroid, it comes with the PCOS. But the degree varies.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#19 jamillusions

jamillusions

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

Honestly I have thought for years that I have had a thyroid issue, my body went wacky when I turned 30....I gained a lot of weight, hair loss...increased depression...etc. I have been seeing a endocrinologist for over 5 years, she NOT ME...insists that I do not have a thyroid problem with my levels, my testosterone was elevated and therefore she diagnosed me with PCOS and for the past 2 years my test levels have returned to normal.

In June my TSH was 2.3 (.450-4.50) and my T4 was 1.22 (.82-1.77) I was told they were normal......

My GYN just did them again on this past blood work that I just had...she again like my endo said I was in the *normal* range...I will post them when I get them, requested that all of my BW be forwarded to me today.

Thank you both again. I appreciate your input greatly.

#20 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:40 AM

A TSH of 2,3 is very very typical in PCOS.

But, normal TSH is very very close to 1.

On the thyroid forums, lots and lots of patients post they went very hypo as their TSH went above 2.

In Germany, the upper end of normal in many labs has been for years 2,5, and some labs have 2,12.

Now you could get synthroid or better Natural Thyroid if you go to a doctor who is a D.O, since they look at the whole picture. Like symptoms and blood tests together. Now you bleed too much, and your TSH is too high, and you have all these other hypo symtoms, and that together makes you typically hypo, and warrants treatment.

You can go looking for a D.O, (doctor of osteopathy) , or ask the pharmacy which doctor prescribes Armour Thyroid in your area, and try them.

Endocrinologists do not exist in the D.O. world, so they just will not treat you looking at the wole picture, they only look at any number strictly in isolation.

You can go over to the thyroid.about.com forum, the tiny little red link below mary´s picture to the left saying my forums and ask there. I used to be there for years but nowadays I am more on celiac forums.

nora

#21 jamillusions

jamillusions

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Thanks a bunch Nora. Much appreciated. I am trying to dig up my past blood work to check and see what those levels actually were...I am just completely confused....every doctor has always insisted I am not hypo...but I feel like every person is different and you cant go by the ranges, because for years I have felt like I am...I pretty much could check yes to every symptom.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: