18 replies to this topic

#1 CGally81

CGally81

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Okay, after I took fish oil and suffered nasty problems like pressure in the head and random inability to focus and fatigue, I stopped taking it. And my hunger shot up really high.
Since, I've been having the following problems randomly, as my hunger SLOWLY gets back to normal. (I am now taking L-glutamine daily, having started less than 3 weeks ago, since I never did really treat the underlying leaky gut that likely caused my gluten/casein intolerance in the first place)

Anyway, the list of wonder:
* random warmth in the head, particularly forehead
* sometimes random warmth on the back of the neck
* random fatigue, which can go away within an hour at times
* random headaches (not as common as it was before)
* feeling "shaky" in the hands. They're not actually shaking, but they feel kinda shaky. Hard to explain unless you've felt it
* random mild dizziness and/or reduced balance (I never actually got truly off balance, but it's definitely noticeable when it happens)
* random difficulty focusing (goes away eventually)
Some other stuff that's difficult to describe.

Oh yeah, and this is probably important: the symptoms sometimes increase before I have to use the bathroom (number 2, not number 1), then I do, and symptoms often decrease some time after that.

My doctor referred me to a neurologist and I got an EEG and MRI. I haven't gotten results back yet. If they find nothing, then what do I search for next? I considered Candida overgrowth, which the lady at the local GNC said she suffered from, but my doctor blew me off and said "Candida is a fungus. It doesn't cause problems like that. There are no tests for Candida." Considering blood tests and stool tests for Candida exist, he's an idiot.

Anyway, what might these be symptoms of? Just leaky gut, and I should keep taking my L-glutamine (I will anyway) until it goes away? Or something more?
Born 1981. Is also autistic - officially diagnosed.
Started having fructose-related problems in late 2008.
Started noticing gluten-related symptoms around March 2009.
Discovered the problem and went (mostly) gluten-free in early August 2009. Promptly became hungry all the time.
I can tolerate fructose again now.
Went dairy-lite in mid December 2009, then casein-free in early January 2010. Hunger shot up again twice.
Hunger apparently mostly normal in mid February 2010.
Started taking fish oil in July 2010, then got new symptoms. Got different new symptoms when I stopped, and hunger shot up AGAIN.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

These are the kind of symptoms that I've found it's hard for Western medicine to deal with, but which are very important for Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners to make a diagnosis. I know that's not very helpful, but I was frustrated myself trying to describe my symptoms to an M.D. even one who specializes in celiac.

I have found relief through acupuncture. My acupuncturist understands what is going on with my body even if her way of framing it doesn't make any sense to a Western doctor. I hope that you find the cause of your distress, but if not keep holistic medicines in mind.

Best, Lucia

#3 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

I was digagnosed with systemic candida in 2003. I did the diet, and took all the anti-fungals, and got really sick, but it took about 2 years to start to clear up. I still take probiotics, and after I was diagnosed with celiac disease (2007) my digestive issues cleared up.

Have you ever had your thyroid tested?

Hang in there, Sweetie!! B)

lovelove,
sickchick
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#4 CGally81

CGally81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

From blood tests, thyroid is fine.

I am strongly thinking candida is it. There's a holistic doctor 10 minutes from where I live. My idiot regular doctor thinks candida can't cause these symptoms, so if it happens to be that, I can't get any help from him. What else do holistic doctors do? What do they check for, and what kinds of tests do they do? Do regular doctors take them seriously?
Discovered the problem and went (mostly) gluten-free in early August 2009. Promptly became hungry all the time.
Went dairy-lite in mid December 2009, then casein-free in early January 2010. Hunger shot up again twice.
Started taking fish oil in July 2010, then got new symptoms. Got different new symptoms when I stopped, and hunger shot up AGAIN.

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Are the shaky hands like a pins and needles sensation? Do you get that sensation on your feet, especially at night? You might want to take look at eliminating soy, I'm not sure. Good luck in your endeavor to find out what's ailing you.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 CGally81

CGally81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

No, not pins and needles. It's hard to explain. I associate it with hunger, and referred to it as feeling "hungry in the hands", but it's really hard to describe. It might not be hunger-related.

#7 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

I avoid Md's as much as possible.

I have been seeing an ND since 1997.

Good luck, again, Doll! B)
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#8 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

Does systemic yeast overgrowth exist without "the itch"? It sounds more like an intolerance or deficiency than an overgrowth.
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#9 elk

elk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:06 AM

Do you eat a lot of processed foods?

#10 SoyBoy

SoyBoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Items 3-7 sound familiar to me.

I borrowed a blood glucose meter from a diabetic friend for a couple weeks. I noticed that when my blood sugar levels were low, I would get 1. shaky hands 2. fatigue 3. headaches 4. difficulty focusing

The hunger symptoms you describe also sound familiar.

I would get a whole other set of symptoms when my blood sugar went too high. The bottom line is that for a period of 6 months or so, I had poor glucose control.

Things are better now (although my body does give me reminders now and then to keep me in line). How did things improve? I tried to eat like a diabetic, excercised as much as I can, and took my vitamins (B12, B-complex, multivitamin)religiously. Above all, I avoided my nemesis - soy. I understand that the solution might not be that simple for most.

What does your doctor think of the L-glutamine? How do you react if you were to eat something with MSG?

#11 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

I second what SoyBoy is saying. To me, your symtoms sound like what I experience when my blood sugar dips. HYPOglycemia seems to plauge people with celiac disease for some reason. It can also be made worse by consuming large amounts of carbs in one setting, or snacking on carbs.

Items 3-7 sound familiar to me.

I borrowed a blood glucose meter from a diabetic friend for a couple weeks. I noticed that when my blood sugar levels were low, I would get 1. shaky hands 2. fatigue 3. headaches 4. difficulty focusing

The hunger symptoms you describe also sound familiar.

I would get a whole other set of symptoms when my blood sugar went too high. The bottom line is that for a period of 6 months or so, I had poor glucose control.

Things are better now (although my body does give me reminders now and then to keep me in line). How did things improve? I tried to eat like a diabetic, excercised as much as I can, and took my vitamins (B12, B-complex, multivitamin)religiously. Above all, I avoided my nemesis - soy. I understand that the solution might not be that simple for most.

What does your doctor think of the L-glutamine? How do you react if you were to eat something with MSG?

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#12 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Bless your heart. I hope you get answers and figure out something to make you feel better!!!
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#13 CGally81

CGally81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

It's not quite the same though. My hands don't actually shake. They just have a weird "feeling" to them. And the difficulty focusing comes on and goes randomly. There doesn't seem to be a relationship to eating carbs, and I don't eat soy. The fatigue and headaches don't occur together either. These symptoms occur at different times, not usually together, and appear to come on somewhat randomly.

I'm going to try eating foods that are known to kill candida and see if I have a reaction of any kind. The day after having almond milk (which is said to kill candida), I had kind of mild symptoms of a somewhat different sort, that I thought might be candida die-off.

I'm going to try to get ahold of a holistic doctor in my area to see what I can find. My EEG and MRI came back normal, unsurprisingly. My doctor doesn't believe in candida overgrowth. I say it can't hurt to rule it out, but he honestly thinks there are no tests for it, and to "not believe what you read on the internet", despite the fact that reading what I find on the internet is how I found out I'm gluten and casein intolerant and began to feel better after cutting them out of my life. This weekend, I might go to the local GNC and see what's there, or see if I can buy stuff at Whole Foods that can help, like maybe coconut water and other stuff that kills candida, even if slowly.

Anyone here deal with candida? Even in a mild or moderate form?

#14 CGally81

CGally81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Also, it can't be a coincidence that taking a dump often reduces the symptoms, but I sometimes feel an increase for some time before I have to (especially if it's a big one). All the more reason that I believe I'm removing something from my body when I do.

One example: The "shakiness in hands" feeling sometimes increases about an hour or so before I have to use the bathroom, then when I do, in a major way, it's gone. That happened this morning.

So there's probably a relationship there. I think I'm getting something out of my body.

#15 mommyto3

mommyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have to say that your symptoms sound exactly like what I get with hypoglycemia. The whole system kind of goes haywire so maybe that accounts for the bathroom part of it?

Good Luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: