Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Possible Hasimoto's Diagnoses

2 posts in this topic

so after three months of a swollen neck and face and 5 visits to various doctors i may finally know why i'm feeling how i do. my mom has thyroid issues and i've pushed her many times to go gluten free. i'm basically her genetic clone in so many ways i was expecting something like this. my blood test came back all within normal except for an elevated thyroglobulin antibody. i'm set up for a soft tissues neck CT scan on Monday and i'll know more then. has anyone been diagnosed with thyroid issues after going gluten free? i wonder which came first, my thyroid or gluten issues. i guess i'll never know.

I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease in 2000 before my celiac diagnosis. I think it contributed to my two miscarriages. Looking back I believe I had a celiac then but just didn't know. I would bloat up and get constipated that I would lay in bed and beg my husband to rub my belly. Silly me thought that was my normal. I've been on thyroid replacement since then. One positive note is that now that I am gluten free my thyroid is more stable. I have not had to increase my dosage since my celiac diagnosis and actually I was able to lower it a bit.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Celiac in 10 month old?
      only the first one is a celiac test.  and you need the rest of them run.  What country are you in?
    • Second Panel has come back...advice?
      If you follow the gluten-free diet correctly, without being paranoid about it either......your DGP will drop because you won't be eating the food that makes it rise.  I think having a gluten-free house is a great idea because it allows you to relax in your own home. As for reading labels all the time, I have a few comments on that one.  In the beginning, and depending on just how much processed foods you plan on eating, it is a good idea to get into the habit of reading labels.  You learn how to do that correctly from experience.  However, in 11 years gluten free, I have never once seen any processed food I have bought that changed their ingredients. I'm sure it can happen but I've never seen it. Usually, with higher end brands, they never do that because if the product is a success, they don't mess with it.  I can't speak for generic or store brands because I do not buy them. I do not eat a lot of processed foods either. If you are buying a product specifically geared towards the Celiac population and is certified gluten-free, you do not have to check the label unless you have other food intolerance's. Glutino and the other companies which market a gluten-free line of products will not change their ingredients and put something in there we cannot have. Whole Foods Market Gluten Free Bakery line....same thing.  They are all dedicated facilities that make food for Celiac's and are not a worry. I am from New England and buy B & M baked beans, which are gluten free. They are a New England company and haven't changed their recipe for years and years...in fact, maybe never.  Those beans are an institution around here and they will not change their ingredients that have been popular for a very long time.....they have been around since my great-grandmother's time. I buy the basic ones without the added flavorings like onion, etc. I can't speak for every flavor they produce because I eat only the basic beans. But I no longer check the label....don't have to. The company specifically told me they don't mess with success and would not change ingredients. Supplements are something you need to read labels on every time but food items are a little different and you will become very good at understanding the whole thing the longer you do it. It becomes second nature. I am very happy you are on your way to a much healthier life! 
    • Nation's First Free Food Pantry for People with Food Allergies or Celiac Disease
      Kansas is wheat country, and like the rest of America, Kansans are generally not gluten-free. That means the food in their charity food pantries are not usually gluten-free. View the full article
      This is a link that will explain sreun panels for infants under 2 years of age. http://www.thepatientceliac.com/2013/04/18/update-on-celiac-disease-screening-in-infants-and-toddlers/ The author of that is a doctor, has celiac herself, and is a member of celiac.com. Here is a link that tells you about her: http://www.thepatientceliac.com/about-me/   This link will also give you information: http://www.beyondceliac.org/living-with-celiac-disease/info-for-parents/testing/ Quoting from it in part: Celiac Disease Testing in Children Under 3 Blood tests are not always accurate in very young children. If your child is less than 3 years old, you may be advised to see a gastroenterologist instead of relying on blood tests results.
      That was not a full celiac blood panel that was done. Plus, as I understand it, at that age the DGP is more likely to be high rather than the others. Here is the full celiac blood panel: Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
      Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
      Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
      Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
      Total Serum IgA   
      Also can be termed this way: Endomysial Antibody IgA
      Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 
      GLIADIN IgG
      GLIADIN IgA
      Total Serum IgA 
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG  
  • Upcoming Events