1 reply to this topic

#1 MRM

MRM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

so after three months of a swollen neck and face and 5 visits to various doctors i may finally know why i'm feeling how i do. my mom has thyroid issues and i've pushed her many times to go gluten free. i'm basically her genetic clone in so many ways i was expecting something like this. my blood test came back all within normal except for an elevated thyroglobulin antibody. i'm set up for a soft tissues neck CT scan on Monday and i'll know more then. has anyone been diagnosed with thyroid issues after going gluten free? i wonder which came first, my thyroid or gluten issues. i guess i'll never know.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:06 AM

I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease in 2000 before my celiac diagnosis. I think it contributed to my two miscarriages. Looking back I believe I had a celiac then but just didn't know. I would bloat up and get constipated that I would lay in bed and beg my husband to rub my belly. Silly me thought that was my normal. I've been on thyroid replacement since then. One positive note is that now that I am gluten free my thyroid is more stable. I have not had to increase my dosage since my celiac diagnosis and actually I was able to lower it a bit.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: