This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Emotional Pain...

Ashley

Ashley Enthusiast

I feel so miserable with the stupid disease.Yes,I know I sound like a whiny little brat...but I can't help it.It sucks to live in a house hold that's loaded with bread.The gluten-free breads are absolutely terrible.Ener-G tapioca loaf and the Kinnickinick bread taste exactly like rubber.Earlier before school released for summer break,I shared my bread with some of my friends and a few teachers.We all gagged on it.But I'll be all right.I'm starting not to miss bread that much anymore...but there's that same temptation with it being in the house.I don't want to eat anymore.I never realised how I took everything thing I ate for granted.Food's really limited...we are still searching for some other foods and whatnot.We can only go to Wild Oats when I go to the doctor in Nashville.I'm going to load up on those rice noodles for sure.It's also painful to go into a store and see all that food I once could have.I'm just down emotionally really...I just need someone who could talk to me and help me feel better.I know it could be worse.I could live where it's not a free nation.I could have no way of getting around or not have a spare change of clothes at all.I'm grateful for everything...but Celiac's just...it's got me fustrated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, it can be a challenge at first but it gets better. Our diet really is not as limited as you may think. We can have alot of normal chips(Lays staxx, utz, etc) and ice creams and "junk" foods too.

A gluten free bread is hard to find...I love the kinnikinnick muffins...they are so soft and I think they taste really good.

Foods By George has some great english muffins...I usually toast the cinnamon ones and then put Kraft strawberry cream cheese on top and it tastes amazingly awesome.

Cybros has rice rolls that are good too.

You will find there are great brands of food out there...there are gluten free oreos that are great, gluten free pretzels, and even brownie mixes that are wonderful.

There are also alot more healthy things to choose from and wheat is bad for your body whether you are a celiac or not. So just think of how good you are treating your body and nourishing it.

I was so mad at first about it too so I know where you are coming from. It seems like the diet is so limited and all we can have is gross tasting food...well thats true there are some gross tasting foods but there are great tasting foods we can have too...the same thing applies though for gluten containing foods. Even foods that do contain gluten can taste horrible..but you find things you like. Thats the same way with this diet.

There is so much you can have...and you'll learn the good brands and the brands never to buy again. Hang in there

You are welcome to IM me or email me anytime

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm sure we all have felt those feelings at one point in time. I have self pity parties once in awhile especially when I see pizza :(

I just focus on the things I can have and I try new recipes to keep the diet interesting. There are still a lot of good things we can eat. And I've found that there is almost a gluten-free alternative to everything, we just have to work a little harder to get it sometimes. But that's life... and you're right we could have it a lot worse.

The best gluten-free bread I've ever had is Sterk's. If you can get some it's great. I like it best toasted.

Open Original Shared Link

B)

celiac3270 Collaborator
I'm sure we all have felt those feelings at one point in time. I have self pity parties once in awhile especially when I see pizza :(

Me too....

It's easy to get down about...and all you can really do is look on the bright side, and think of all the junk you can have: Lays chips (including the Stax), an infinite number of candies (see Open Original Shared Link ), soda... --hey, that's all that matters when it comes to food: chips, candy, and soda...just kidding. I don't feel that bad when I'm home; it's just harder when you're on the go or you're singled out as different with a group of your peers...... argh, I'm tired and I don't know if I'm making any sense, so I'd better sotop now :lol::D:ph34r::P:huh:

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I didn't care if I had a picture on my posts until I saw SpongeBob. I'm jealous. < :huh:

celiac3270 Collaborator

lol :lol:

Guest BellyTimber

Would you be able to get your own bread machine (not to be used by others) and bake your own bread?

That's a morale booster.

The others are right too.

Don't forget those fresh veg. Spring cabbages are fab at the moment. The water you cook it in, slightly cooled, is a tasty drink.

I have had to go gluten-free for the last two and a half years and I have been in a foul mood for most of that, especially with people on this board ;)

I'm still nervous of travelling and attending gatherings!

My GP says I'm a much better communicator and more relaxed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CateK Newbie

I agree the store-bought gluten-free breads leave a lot to be desired (they do make good bread crumbs). I have found that baking my own breads, crackers, cookies and cakes are the answer.

I'm not sure how old you are but I know my mother had me baking when I was 12. The hardest thing with the gluten-free baking is finding good recipes and getting the ingredients together (having a good stand mixer helps too). Both Hagman and Fenster have good recipes. I personally perfer Fenster's but my kids like Hagman's. Try the both.

I refuse to feel sorry for myself over this. I feel so much better gluten-free I cannot believe how sick I was and still managed to plug along. My son's are having a harder time of it as it seems a lot of teens are into eating pizza and other stuff in large groups at restaurants so this is hard for them. But I'm making sure they both know how to good using gluten-free ingredients because someday they will be on their own. I think they like the opportunity to spend time with me one-on-one, they just won't admit it.

Ask one of your parents to help you.

Guest imsohungry

Awww....(((hugs))) to you. :wub:

It can be tough when you first start out. Heck, I'm a grown woman and I have times it is more than a little difficult for me! :blink:

Truth is, it took me six months to realize that I wasn't "that different" from my family/peers. And now, I've got family members who eat MY gluten free (gluten-free) foods. :rolleyes:

One neat thing to do is go to all of your favorite restaurants web sites...say Chick-fil-A, McDonald's, or where-ever, and look in the nutrition section...many of them have gluten-free lists that tell you what you can have. So, if you're out with friends and everybody grabs a bite to eat...you can also know what's ok for you to have. B)

Good luck to ya. You'll get the hang of this. :) -Julie

celiac3270 Collaborator

You mentioned bread.....

At the GIG conference in Chicago I found two breads that I find to be better than Ener-G or Kinnikinick...one of them--the already baked one is made by Charlotte's Bakery...they're centered in Salt Lake City and the bread has no preservatives, but is so...light! I never liked sandwiches after diagnosis because of the bread and here I was downing samples of Charlotte's.... PLAIN, UNTOASTED!

The second was Mona's. It's a mix, which may be intimidating at first, lol, but I tried the end product--amazing...French bread and regular. And she said that she's had 20-something-year-old males who made it, liked it, and wrote her about it. And if a young adult male can make it, ANYBODY CAN!

• 3 weeks later...
BellaSara Newbie

Oh bread. When I first went gluten-free I bought a loaf of EnerG bread and uggh! I thought gluten free would be terrible and I would never eat good food again. Just wondering, does anyone like this stuff? Why is it in all the stores? I like Food For Life's Millet Bread that I bought at Woodman's, a normal super cheap grocery store in the Chicago area And if anyone is wondering the ingredient list says it contains rye, but this is a printing error. I called to check this, and they said the next batch will have the correct ingredients. I also liked Bob's bread mix, but it gets moldy very quick.

celiac3270 Collaborator

It was a misprinted label...the bread was in fact gluten-free. The company scrambled to fix this problem...happened a few months ago.

mytummyhurts Contributor

I eat Ener-G's tapioca bread. It's obviously not like regular bread. I use it for tuna sandwiches (toasted) and for toast with pb&j on it. I tried once to eat a regular type sandwich on it and I couldn't take more than one bite, it was so terrible. My mom picked me up some rice bread a couple weeks ago. It weighed about 5 lbs. :lol: My husband found it moldy in the cupboard the other day. I guess I was supposed to refrigerate it. I wasn't that sad to see it go. I never even had a piece. I should have used it for bicep curls before throwing it away. :P Maybe someday I'll crave bread enough to make my own. Right now it's not one of the things I miss too much. I did order some Chebe today.

jazzyjess Newbie

i miss bread a lot i used to eat it all the time as a snack our bread is so hard and horrid i really miss bread and its horrid when the rest of my family are eating nice bread im the only one with coeliacs in my family i only got it at christmas and im still not really used to it i know how you all feel

Guest Zmom

Chebe (www.chebe.com) makes easy bread mixes and frozen rolls. I make the cinnamon dough into "bagels" They are yummy .So are the garlic onion ones. I make them a little fatter than the package says and flip them 1/2 way so they are "bready" and the apple sauce does not settle on the bottom.

I make them without egg or milk,use olive oil,water and a little extra apple sauce helps the dough stick together. -

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I think most of us go thru periods of self pity about something so don't feel like a whiner because of that, we all have been there.

I've tried almost all the breads mentioned above and I still think Manna by Anna (google it) is by far the best. I do mine in a bread machine, it looks like wheat bread, tastes wonderful, can be eaten plain or toasted, doesn't stick to your teeth (like so many rice breads) and does NOT become crumbly the next day. I love this stuff, I buy 2 cases at a time.

And remember as far as only being able to go shopping for gluten stuff when you go to your doctor... there are so many on line places that sell all sorts of gluten-free products.

Susan

luvs2eat Collaborator

Count me in on the Manna from Anna fan club. I make a loaf once a week in my Kitchen Aid mixer and let the loaf cool completely before slicing it and freezing the slices in zip lock bags (2 slices in a bag). Then I toast them for the most awesome sandwiches. It is BY FAR the best bread I've had since being diagnosed. I also buy 2 cases at a time.

www.mannafromanna.com

ShortStuff2309 Apprentice
It's easy to get down about...and all you can really do is look on the bright side, and think of all the junk you can have: Lays chips (including the Stax), an infinite number of candies (see Open Original Shared Link ), soda... --hey, that's all that matters when it comes to food: chips, candy, and soda...just kidding.

Omg, that's exactly what I've been looking for for the past 4 days! Thank you for the list of junk! Haha

Guest BERNESES

You are not a whiner or a brat! It's a big change and it really does take awhile to work this all out. But gradually you start to realize all the things you had before that you can still have (like Reese's peanut butter cups and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. and you start to find new things that you like just as much as the old stuff. Really- OK so when I smell/see/drool over a pizza, i whine for sure but then I discovered Chebe pizza crust and I like it even better than regular pizza! No lie. It's a learning curve and the first six months are by far the toughest! You've come to a GREAT place.

lisard88 Newbie

This is my first time to post to the message board but I've been reading for about 2 weeks. This is an amazing site! You guys are so helpful, understanding, supportive, and informative.

I got on tonight because I am having my daily craving for pizza. I thought there would be so many things that I would miss (only been about 45 days) but the one thing I'm dying for is pizza!!! I saw that someone recommended Chebe...is this good? I have tried other gluten free pizza crusts and they were terrible (stuck to my teeth :(

I realized that being gluten free is just more inconvenient than anything (hard to eat out with out the risk of gluten). However, I realized that I don't feel as guilty about eating "bad" foods anymore. Meaning that if I want french fries (assuming gluten free) I don't feel bad about the fat and calories because 90% of what I eat now is extremely healthy! So that is how I keep positive with the diet. Whenever I'm feeling frustrated or angry I'll go get french fries and a milkshake!

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Welcome! I'm glad we've been able to help you. :D

Chebe is awesome--the best gluten-free pizza I've tried--takes a few times to get it perfectly, but I've tried maybe 10 crusts and this is the best. Get the bread mix and use it to make the pizza crust--I think it's works better than the pizza crust itself.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I really like Kinnickinnick bread and english muffins...... They are nice and fluffy, toasted with jam on them and the english muffins can double as hamburger buns....

Boy, can I remember my first taste of gluten free bread though - yuck! I can't remember which brand it was, but boy! was it like cardboard! and when you toasted it, you could use them for pucks......

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
bluonblack1 Newbie

Check this out...

www.emofree.com

This is a great tool!! B)

Archived