This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Source Of Dh Other Than Gluten?

VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Does anyone know what else can cause DH besides gluten?

I have been on a gluten-free diet for 7-8 years. I take Dapsone daily. As long as I take Dapsone, I am generally fine. If I miss taking it for a few days, I get DH around my joints, eyes, clothing pressure areas.

Has anybody gone through this?

Thoughts????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Iodone can trigger attacks but I thought that stopped after you had been gluten-free for a while. You can try cutting out iodine.

richard

Iodine.....I haven't been eating any shrimp lately.

What else has iodine??

frenchiemama Collaborator

Do you use iodized salt? That is a biggie. Do your vitamins contain iodine?

Also something that I read recently is that sun exposure can trigger an outbreak. I wouldn't have believed it except that I have been having problems lately and it all started with being out in the sun more. I normally work the night shift (11p-7:30a) but one of my co-irkers was ill so I was coming in 4a-4(or 5)p to cover both shifts. I work outside a majority of the day as well. Before the shift change, my DH was doing great it was really going away. The night after my first day shift it started to get worse, and it has been just awful this whole week. The only thing that changed was my sun exposure. I know this is anecdotal at best, but you may want to experiment and see what happens.

Pegster Apprentice

Although I have been gluten-free for over a year, I sometimes get DH outbreaks after using anti-inflamatories (ibuprofen, aleve). I also get the breakouts when it is warm, especially where elastic contacts my body. Try sea salt intead of iodized salt. Also look at processed foods you are eating, like potato chips which may be salty. Good Luck

celiac3270 Collaborator

I was at the GIG conference in Chicago this weekend and there was a talk on DH...here are some of the basics:

- How long you had the rash prior to diagnosis will affect how long it takes you to recover...if you had it only for a few weeks, then it might take only a few days to clear up, but if you had it for years, it might takes months or years to fully clear up.

- You will not get dh unless you're getting gluten in some amount. It may not be enough to cause intestinal damage, but it will still give you the rash.

- Like Richard said, iodine can be problematic. Small amounts, such as that in salt, shouldn't be enough to produce a reaction, but multivitamins in particular could be problematic.

iwantabeer Newbie

I just met with a Gastro doc and he said that the biopsied rash and the bloodwork showing antibodies prove with 99% accuracy that I have dh - indicative of celiac disease. According to the dermatologist, GI and dietician, gluten is the only thing that I could be allergic to. I've done a lot of reading and have never seen iodine mentioned. But then again, I'm new at this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegster Apprentice

Check out Clan Thompson's Celiac Site Open Original Shared Link for good info about DH. Your doctors are right. The "allergy" (actually more of an intolerance than an allergy) is to Gluten. BUt people on this board with DH are speaking from experience. Iodine is a TRIGGER for DH and you may find that it can trigger yours. If you are gluten free, your DH should go away.

hmmmmmmmmmm, I take a gluten-free multi-vitamin every morning..... I would hate to give that up...

GNC makes a gluten-free multi with no iodine, that's what I take.

mommida Enthusiast

When I was reading about the DH testing, it said that an iodine patch could be used to create the rash if the patient was unwilling to ingest gluten. Then the biopsy would be taken. Is this another medical mistake?

Laura

I have read about the iodine patch test too, I think that it works sometimes but it's not totally reliable because it doesn't work for everyone (at least that's what I've gathered from my reading). I was tempted to experiment on myself, but do I really want to itch in the name of science?

Archived