This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Made It!

stef-the-kicking-cuty

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yipiee! I made it! It wasn't easy at all, but since sunday I'm in the american kickboxing national team. I couldn't have done this, without all the people on here and their advices about what you can and can't eat. And an ear for ranting in case you need it. I would have been glutened half of the time and then wouldn't have been able to compete anymore. But now it's done and I feel great!

Thanks

to you all :D

Now I will represent the USA at the world championships in Toronto/Canada in three different divisions. I lost 9 pounds in one week to get to my fighter weight of 110 lbs. And this without starving myself. I ate regularly as often as I was hungry and ran at least 20 miles a day on stepper and treadmill. That meant 5 hours minimum only with running. Not to talk of the many sparring rounds and musical form routines that I went through. I'm really proud. But since this is my 7th world championship alltogether, so I know, that this is just the beginning. It won't get easier the next 4 month.

Another two of my team members (non-celiacs though) qualified for the team. And after we were done we went to Outbacks. I was so happy, that the only thing I ordered was a "Chocolate Thunder from Down Under". I wanted to make sure, I finish the Brownie completely off this time and I did :lol: . After the 11 hour drive back to Georgia however I realized on the scale, I had 3 pounds more again. Oh well, but I think, I diserved this Brownie. It's the first time after going glutenfree, that I qualified for the national team. And the first time I managed to do this in three divisions!!! I want to proof, that even celiacs can be extreme athletes and when I win I have the possibility to spread the word about celiac. I'm so motivated like never before. I couldn't have done this last year with all my lungs and heart problems. But this year I will go for it. My aching joints tell me, this is probably the last time, that I get the chance for this. I have to take it before the last train (chance) leaves. And this time there won't be a bus. A doctor once told me, my hip joints are so damaged, I probably will need an artificial hip joint by the time I'm thirty (I'll be 29 in July). I didn't believe him, but now that I have the pain, I start to realize he might have been right. What do I have to lose? Let's do this. Please cross your fingers for me.

Hey, if you guys want, I will post on here, where in my preparation I am at all times. Like a sports diary from a celiac. With how many miles I ran/swam/biked or whatever to get condition and stuff like that. And where my weight is, I need 110 lbs or less. You guys would help me a great deal, cause I'm not a big runner. Actually I hate that, there's just no other way around. And my own trainer is far, far away in Germany. Nobody to kick me in the butt here. I have to do everything on my own. So this would be a great help.

And THANKS again for being there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

granny Rookie
Yipiee! I made it! It wasn't easy at all, but since sunday I'm in the american kickboxing national team.

Stef, CONGRADULATIONS FROM ALL OF US!! We're so proud and happy for you!

granny

celiac3270 Collaborator

CONGRATULATIONS!!! THAT'S TERRIFIC! :D We're all really happy for you...is this televised in the US? You are a great example that celiacs aren't (necessarily) wimps :P We are proud of you.... keep us posted!

jenvan Collaborator

Stef-- You are inspiring me--that one day I will be able to run another mini-marathon or do that triathalon I've wanted to try for some time. You did deserve that brownie too! Congrats to you and keep us updated !!!

Thanks guys! celiac3270, I will try to get some information in time about if it is televised in the US. Already 2000 they showed kickboxing at the olympics. The goal is, to get there in a view years. We've come a long way. If kickboxing will ever get olympic, than with our association, which is the biggest in the world of kickboxing anyway. So I really think, they actually show it on TV. I just don't know, when and where. I will let you guys posted. If you want links to read your way through, you can also e-mail or IM me B) .

So, the main emphasis is to get better in shape/condition, than anybody else in my division and get more experience and routine/calmness in competing. That means running everyday and if the money's strait, competitions every weekend and visiting other schools. Besides that, our group needs to do some fundraisers. So if you have any ideas for us, let me now. As of right now (actually yesterday :lol: ) Jim came up with letting the entire team wash cars on the YMCA parking lot and get some tips for our team fund. I already see wet sponges flying through the air with our goofes. And shouting "No headblocks" if they hit somebody in the face with it :lol: . And I have to get about 3 - 4 pounds down. I need 110 lbs or less. :(

So last week I already ran 10 miles monday and 20 miles each day from tuesday to saturday. My weight dropped down from 119 lbs to 110.2 lbs. After that darn ;) "Chocolate Thunder From Down Under" I was back on 113.6 on monday. 113.7 tuesday and 113.1 yesterday. Today I had 113.5 lbs. I want to get down about 1/10th of a pound everyday. Loosing weight slowly is better and I'm going for calories anyway. Not for water, that would be unhealthy. Oh, and by the way, as of this monday I'm weighing myself with sneakers, pants and shirt. Last week I did without sneakers, that made 1 pound less.

I will give what I ran/swam/stepped/trained each single day and count it on what I had the day before. What I did last week I'm not counting towards this, so here we go with yesterday.

Since I'm not a runner, I'm starting slowly:

Weight: 113.1 lbs

1.7 miles in 35 minutes on the treadmill (intervals)

3.1 miles in 35 minutes on the stepper (intervals)

1.5 hours sparring

What I'll train today, you will get this evening.

Another thing that I promised myself is. Everytime I will have less weight than I had before or everytime I will hold my weight on the lowest weight I had before around the same number during this 4-month-period I will reward myself with some candy or icecream. Now that is a motivation, isn't it? :blink:

Ah, and I completely forgot. I saw the doctor today for my physical I need for the worlds. And I told him to give me a bone density test. I already broke one of my toes last year and I don't want to break anything at the worlds. So he DIDN'T give me the physical, cause he wants to wait for the results. If I don't get my physical until November I'm not allowed to compete at the worlds. Darn! :unsure: I hope this bone density test doesn't show anything... And another hurdle I have to get, is my new passport. I hope I don't get problems with that, since I'm a german. Since my husband has to verify, that I have his last name now in front of a german guy at the consulate, I have to wait, until he is back from his 14-day military drill and then drag him to New York :P. What a mess! Oh well, we will get there step by step, I guess. Rome wasn't built in a day anyway... And the bone test is next wednesday. Cross your fingers for me :(

tarnalberry Community Regular

Congrats! I hope the training, and the event, goes well! :-)

Guest Viola

Congratulations Stef! Good for you!! I sure hope all goes well with your test and your physical in Nov. You really are awsome :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Congrats!! Hope everything goes well...you definitely have to have alot of self discipline for that...your doing great!

mytummyhurts Contributor

Good job! Wow, you have a lot of self will to train that much! I can hardly run a block! :D

Emme999 Enthusiast

Stef you are amazing!! Congratulations!!! And good luck with the bone density test too ;)

And BTW - I think you deserve LOTS of brownies :D

- Michelle :wub:

plantime Contributor

YYYAAAYYY!!! :D:lol::D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Good luck with everything! B)

I'm interested... will they not let you compete if you are above 110 pounds? and is the weight goal based on your height?

1.7 miles in 35 minutes on the treadmill (intervals)

3.1 miles in 35 minutes on the stepper (intervals)

1.5 hours sparring

That's crazy! You really must have good self disapline! I couldn't motivate myself to do that everyday! I excerice 3-4 times/week but not everyday. WOW!

Haha, Michelle, I couldn't keep from eating some chocolate ice cream with marsh mallows and hot fudge today. Let's see where this leads to tomorrow :lol: . But I guess, I'm still filling up on what I didn't have last week :lol: . I'm what my grandma called a "sugarcheek" :P .

@ Carriefaith: There are different weight classes. 1994 when I first competed (in Germany though) I was 17 and in the 50 kg class, which is 110 lbs. Then 4 years later I got so sick with the celiac, that I couldn't keep my weight anymore. But no doctor could tell me what this was, so I got sicker and sicker and put a little bit more weight on. Again 7 years later I found out, I suffer from celiac. And now about almost 1 year into the glutenfree diet I feel much better again. Not quite perfect yet, but better. So I'm trying to get down to my old fighter weight. Of course there are other classes I could start in with a higher weight. But I just want to prove it to myself, that I can still do it. That's why I registered for 110 lbs. But now, that I registered there's no going back into another class. Now that I registered I have to stay in this class.

And actually I hated running and stuff like that before. But you won't believe how much you can focus, when you have a goal to reach. It's incredible. It actually makes you feel good after a while and you get addicted to running. I never believed all the guys, that told me this before. But now I really need it, it's like a drug. And once you feel the pedals underneath you, you can really relax, because you know, you'll get what you need in a couple of minutes. Crazy!!! :blink:

And I think, it's really amazing, that so many of you are responding. I already know now, if I ever need somebody to push me back up again, I don't even have to tell you yet. Just from reading the posts, that are already here I get pushed back up.

So this is today:

Weight: 113.5 lbs

Intervals on the treadmill: 3.3 miles 57 minutes, in total: 5 miles in 1:32 hours

Intervals on the stepper: 4 miles km in 35 min, insgesamt: 7.1 miles in 1:10 hours

The "real" preparation starts July 1st though. Because until then I have to prepare the choreography for a team-show we will perform. And so unfortunately I can't concentrate with everything I have on the preparation :( . But at least I want to step and run every day, so that I won't gain any weight. At June 30th we have a big streetparade in Carlisle, where our team will participate. But this is more for fun than anything and ment as a startpoint (prelude) to the preparation. The funny part is, that we already registered two month ago for this streetparade. Of course without knowing, that we will qualify for the worlds. When we registered we decided, that our entire team will have the opportunity to walk in the parade, but only 3 people will do the actual show at the main plaza: Jim, Anna and I. Which is really funny, because it's also us three that qualified for the National Team. This is almost creepy actually :huh: . And this is the reason, why we take this show as a startpoint for the preparation. It really starts July 1st. And what is even funnier. The streetparade is at a thursday and starts about 6:45 pm. It lasts approximately 1 hour. Then we give our performance and about 5 minutes after that show (at about 8:00) we are already on our way to our 15-hour-trip to Florida to one of the biggest tournaments of the USA. Unfortunately Anna has to stay at home. But instead of that, Kathy will join us. Kathy is the woman that got diagnosed with celiac with my help (slow but sure you guys get to know all my students, especially those with celiac...lol). Then we arrive in Florida friday at about noon. Then we'll probably sleep a little bit in the lobby. Get our rooms and sleep in the rooms. And Friday (same day actually) at about 6:00 pm it's my turn again with my two forms divisions. This will be a real stress test :wacko: . This competition will be in DisneyLand. And after 2 days of tournament we will hop around in DisneyLand the 3rd day. I hope, I will get something glutenfree there. But so far I only heard good stuff about glutenfree and DisneyLand. But if you have some advices, you can also let me know. I can also need advices for Toronto. But there's also a lot on here already. I actually asked about this a couple of month ago.

OK then, tomorrow is another day,

2old4 Rookie

You go girl- You obviously have great determination, go for the gold!!! Great luck to you!

You bet :lol: . At the moment I live as if I was dieing. Honestly! It's almost as if this is my last chance.

Today I'm going to make this short. With answering all the other threads I forgot the time and I have to get up early in the morning.

Ok, here it goes:

Weight: 113.6

Intervals on the treadmill: 1.5 miles in 25 minutes, in total: 6.5 miles in 1:57 hours

Cross-Country on the stepper: 3.9 miles in 35 minutes, in total: 11 miles in 1:45 hours

1 hour technique training

Wow, the hours really add up quickly. I'm curious to know, when I ran 1 day alltogether. Wouldn't that be need to know how much I will have run by November? We could guess...

wtf??? :o I can't keep from that darn ice cream with marsh mallows. There is a Turkey Hill scheme out there against all weight loosers :lol: No, honestly, I'm addicted. I had another scoop today. I'm going crazy :blink: It's like "Ooh :o, ice cream"..."no, not in the evening <_<"...10 minutes later..."ah, just one :ph34r: little scoop"..."no, better wait till tomorrow morning :blink:"...10 minutes later..."icecream, aaaargh :wacko:"

Weight: 112.2 lbs (amazingly enough :P )

Intervalls on the treadmill: 4.0 miles in 1 hour, in total: 10.5 miles in 2:57 hours

Cross-Training on the stepper: 4.1 miles in 35 minutes, in total: 15.1 miles in 2:20 hours

But tomorrow morning I WILL have ice cream. And I WILL NOT gain weight. Use the force...haha! :lol:

Guest Viola

I have some fresh strawberries to go with the ice cream, :D

Where is my post from the 19th :o ??? This is strange. It took me like forever to write it. Oh well, then I'm writing it today.

@ Viola: I ate strawberries on my next ice cream the other day and what can I say? You're a genius. It's great. I tried bananas today and that's even better. Wow... B)

June 19th:

Weight: 113.4 lbs

Stepper (Intervals): 2.9 miles in 25 minutes

1 hour tricking

June 20th:

Weight: 112.2 lbs

Treadmill (Intervals): 4 miles in 65 minutes

I will count the results at the end of the week. So I can save a lot of writing and space here.

I'm not doing anything anymore anyway until friday, because I have written motorbike test thursday evening. And I don't want to screw this up <_< , so I'm learning for this most of the time. The practical is sunday then. So this week I can't really focus. Even though I will train with my students tomorrow :ph34r: .

cdford Contributor

Stef, we are so proud of you. Keep working hard. You can get wherever you want with your wonderful attitude and hard work.

Thanks, donna!

I studied all day for my written motorcycle test. I passed. We had 50 questions and I had 5 wrong. Sunday is the practical...

My weight yesterday was 111 lbs. I didn't do anything at all today. And I didn't hop on the scales, cause I use the ones in the YMCA. They are more accurate than mine. And I didn't even drive there today. Tomorrow I will continue.

Wow, 110 lbs today. And I didn't even do anything. This is awesome. Seems like my body is still burning on the stuff I did :huh: . I already had two hot fudge sundaes today :lol: .

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hey Stef! You go girl!!! I am sooo proud of you!!!

Hugs,

Karen

celiac3270 Collaborator

We now have a Sports and Fitness section (oh, and a celiac meetup section, which kids aren't allowed into :angry: , just kidding) so I'm moving this one to make it the first topic in there. :D

Thanks celiac3270 :D , I actually came back from Florida a couple of hours ago and tomorrow I will go on training. The YMCA is closed today cause of 4th of July... :D

Archived