Romans, Chapter 14 (from The Bible)

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

In Romans 14:14-17, the link to Leviticus 11 is obvious, but Paul the apostle does not restrict his message solely to that. A much broader interpretation is, I believe, equally valid: You are not judged by what you do or do not eat; judge not another by what they do or do not eat.

In the King James version, Romans 14:14 reads:

"I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean."
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

"Unleavened" means no yeast or baking powder, nothing to make it light and fluffy. Leavening is not in regards to what grain is used for flour. I do not believe that God wants me to make myself ill. I believe that the purpose of the Lord's Supper (communion) is to actually sit still and remember the sacrifice that Christ made for my soul. The bread and wine are symbols, and meant to remind me to be still and remember. So many people, not just Catholics, place too much meaning in the taking of the bread and wine, in my opinion, when it is the condition of the heart that matters the most.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#18 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Anyone read da vinci code? -- catch the part about food alergy death?

#19 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:12 AM

I tend to oversimplify things, but I believe that God made me, I have celiac disease, and God doesn't make mistakes. I think there is a reason for everything in our lives, even if we aren't quite sure what it is.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#20 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:40 PM

I think there is a reason for everything in our lives, even if we aren't quite sure what it is.

That's my philosophy, too. We're mere mortals and so who are we to question the whys?
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#21 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

Anyone read da vinci code? -- catch the part about food alergy death?

No where was that part? I totally missed it....
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#22 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:32 AM

It's funny that someone mentioned canabalism in prior post. One of the early church father councils, I don't recall which one (like Nicene) the men on the council split over the concept over transubstantiation. One group regarded it was canabalism and rejected it. But the group who promoted it obviously won.

Culturally, in Jesus' time his companions would have been grossed out at the Last Supper if they thought he meant his REAL body and blood; one can extract this from the passage of the Last Supper in the Bible as his disciples knew he was speaking in figurative terms as canabalism was sinful (taboo) and prohibited in the Jewish faith. If they felt he was speaking literally they would have thought he was crazy.

Unfortunately, the communion wafer still contains wheat after it is sanctified during the Mass and that proof is made by the celiacs themselves.

My contention is that God created all grains and who are we to reject rice over wheat. We are simple men and women and do not have the knowledge of God. Who then is like God? Christians remain obedient to God not men. God is our creator not men. So what God has made through that first mystery called "creation" is good and perfect for our consumption. The common thread between wheat and other grains is that they are all from the earth made by God and that should be good enough for any Christian denomination.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#23 domineske

domineske

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:16 AM

As Catholics, we've found communion to be tricky. When possible, my daughter receives just the precious blood, but not from the priest's chalice. When they have mass at her school, we bring up the approved, low gluten hosts from the benedictine sisters.

If they are not offering communion under both species, my daughter makes a spiritual communion, a simple prayer for those who CANNOT receive communion. Our priest spent time teaching her the prayer, and for us it's an elegant way for her to always be able to participate in communion.

I pray that they change the rules, but until then this works for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: