25 replies to this topic

#1 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

So I'm interested in hearing about anyone else's experience with gallbladder issues. For the last two week I have been having some pains in my right side and in the last week it has localized to under the rib cage. I called my doc yesterday but he was leaving out of town so I made an appointment for Monday...but this morning the pain was really bad, as was the nausea so I went to emerg. Doc ran blood tests and there is no infection (no appendicitis or pancreatitis or liver issues). He thinks it's either a stone trying to get out of my gallbladder or a very spastic colon. Well, this is pain like I have never had before - stabbing and it comes in waves. So I'm sitting here on tylenol 3 and buscopan, eating light, low fat, and bland. Most of us here are pretty familiar with spastic colon issues and I gotta say this is way more painful & localized than anything I've ever had before.

Is there a relationship between gallstones & celiac ? Gallbladder problems ? Anyone have any stories to share ?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

im not an expert on stones.. they would have to do an xray/mri/or catscan to see if you had stones, right?

you might be interested in looking in to liver flushes.. ive done several. they're a real pain in the a to do tho- if they're not gonna be productive. ive done 4 or 5 of them, and i only had 1 flush where i got out like 200-300 stones- so that was well worth the effort. but the last few ive only gotten 3-10 out.. not worth the effort at all.

i imagine that Celiac can include issues with liver and gall bladder- it's not a "classic" symptom, but our digestive systems have been taxed, and that can put a strain on other organs.

anyways...i had more luck with the flushes when i prepared the month prior with Chinese Tinctures & Gold Coin Grass ( www.sensiblehealth.com )
im not sure if i'll ever do another flush- but i still on occasion take the above tinctures.
the Chinese Tinctures help to detoxify the liver
& the Gold coin Grass is supposed to soften and eventually break up the gall stones

if you end up doing either (flushes &/or tinctures), make sure you understand all the rules so u do them right, otherwise it can make u sick or be too hard on your liver.

IF you're hesitant to any of the above suggestions, and IF you're intestines are up for it-> u might consider eating light one day and then doing an Epsom Salt Laxative drink- it'll give u "D", but it will also open up those ducts a little, so maybe if a couple of stones were stuck they might be able to come out better.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

I had the same thing. It took the doctors way to long to figure it out but I knew it was my gallbladder. No stones, and they did the hidda scan told me it was fine. It wasn't. I had to have the doctor specifically ask for the hidda scan with CCK contrast. This will show how hard or not the gallbladder is working. So, if you don't have stones and still have pain ask for this test. My gallbladder was working at 13%! Luckly they found out just as I started throwing up bile. So it was BAD BAD.

Good luck and I hope they resolve it quickly, I know it hurts. *comforts*

Salax

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#4 polarbearscooby

polarbearscooby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

My gallbladder litterly died because of celiac. About a year before I was diagnosedů

#5 mommyto3

mommyto3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

An ER doc diagnosed me with "gallbladder spasms" after they couldn't find anything on an ultrasound for my excruciating pain. I'm like, gallbladdeer spasms huh, you think so? Duh, of course the thing is in spasms! But what was causing the spasms??? To me his diagnosis was just another way of saying "we have no idea". He gave me pills and sent me on my way but I never filled them.....

I had these pains for 12 years to the point of lying on the floor for hours and just waiting it out in horrible agony. Sad but I kind of learned to just live with it. Since going gluten free 6 months ago I haven't had any episodes (knock wood!)

Good luck!

#6 Mari

Mari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

Some people are able to dislodge stuck stones by fasting followed by a dose of epsom salts and then taking one 300 mg Magnesium oxide capsule each day. some experts advise drinking 5 glasses of water a day, no coffee/tea or high sugar drinks or foods which are dehydrating. Magnesium relaxes the bile ducts. I also eat fresh grapefruit which has a similar effect. I have been doing liver flushes for about 20 years and in a program which also kills intestinal parasites, improves kidney function and dissolves hard calcium stones in the gall bladder and bile tubes in the liver. (some people use organic apple juice or malic acid to soften hard gallstones). I passed thousands of stones. After 5 years gluten-free I'm making very few gallstones. Sludge can also clog the gall bladder and bile system and I read that Drs advise using a high fiber diet to help with that problem so I included either hemp seed meal or gluten-free oat bran with meals. Other have found rice bran easier to tolerate.

I have read that in some people with celiac disease that have gall bladder problems clear up naturally so it could be that the swelling and inflamation in the small intestine is hindering bile flow and when the reaction subsides the stones formed in the bile system come out naturally as they do in a normal person.
DQ6/DQ8
HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302
Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

#7 *Daniella*

*Daniella*

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Yes, I had my gallbladder taken out about three years prior to getting diagnosed. I was having tummy gas and intestinal pains so the docs tested my gallbladder with a HIDA scan. I ended having only 11% ejection fraction. The docs thought that would cure my gas and intestinal issues. It wasn't until another 3 years of pain did I get diagnosed with celiac. I truly believe both are related.
Diagnosed 10/20/08
Positive Bloodwork and Biopsy

#8 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I had localized pain under my right rib cage. The best way I could explain it was someone's fist was under my rib cage. I saw my Dr. who ordered ultrasound and then a HIDA scan. When the HIDA scan was negative, they sent me to the GI dr. My GI doc asked if the HIDA scan reproduced my pain, which it did. He believed it was my gallbladder, but ordered an upper and lower scope to rule out anything else. It was this rule out biopsy which found my celiac. (Biopsy was positive, and they did the blood test to confirm) They still took out my gallbladder. From what I have read, gallbladder issues are common with celiacs. I don't know if that answers your questions...but that was my experience. :unsure:

#9 Mrs_owen39

Mrs_owen39

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

I to had my gallbladder removed about a year before realizing I have problems with gluten. My gallbladder completely died, I was in severe pain and throwing up over 18 hours when I finally was taken to the hospital. After a year of research on Celiac and Gluten issues this seems to be a common occurrence. In one article it was speculated that about 80% of gallbladder problems are related to gluten.
On the lighter side, I will have to come up with lyrics for this adventure as I lost my gallbladder on vacation to Corpus Christi, Texas, just sounds like a county western song begging to be sung. Hang in there and bright blessings in your quest.

#10 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

hey- have any of you with GB issues- did you ever have "referred pain" to the ab muscles right above the GB- like severe sharp Ab Muscle spasms???
i KNOW my pain attack the other day was my muscles- i DO have alot of muscle and fascia issues from my job & posture- but it was so excruciating.... and im trying to solve my problems so that i dont have the pain again.

the doc gave me muscle relaxers- which help to a degree. i also read that the GB is in fact a muscle.. (maybe an organ comprised of smooth muscle).

anyways, i know the GB pain is more deep and inside, but i have been reading that organ issues can "refer" to the nearby muscles... so i was wondering if any of you had the same problem
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#11 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:35 AM

My gallbladder stopped functioning about 5 years ago, confirmed by a HIDA scan w/ cck. After having it removed I continued to have less severe right rib cage pain until I quit eating gluten. I think gluten issues and gallbladder problems are definately connected.

#12 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

My gallbladder hemorrhaged about 7 years ago. I had to have emergency surgery to remove it and I also had to get stones removed from the duct.

So let's back up 12 years. I was pregnant and having what felt like heartburn from hell or maybe a heart attack. I was given an Ultrasound and you could see the stones.

I refused surgery because I was PG. The pain was excrutiating. I lay in hot water as waves and waves of pain washed over me. This was my treatment for years. I was either Pregnant, nursing or something and did not want to get surgery. Diets did not help.

So on that faithful night, I woke and I just knew I was having a heart attack. The pain was on the right side, under my ribs and in my back. This time was different so DH took me to the ER. They put me on some strong medication and did an emergency ultrasound. The stones had gotten so bad, they had turned into a thick sludge. The gallbladder ruptured and started to bleed out. The sludge going into the bile ducts. I had it removed the next morning. Well I say next morning. It was about 4 when I got there, had a bunch of procedures and tests and it was about 10 when I had it removed.

I do not know if this is related to my bowel issue but it's not something you want to just let go. I could have developed sepsis and died from this. I let it go and go and go. I would keep a real close eye on this and make sure they do a GB US to see if there is anything in there.
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#13 Naezer

Naezer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

I am not sure if this helps but i had my GB out after an excruciating attack one week after delivering my son in 1999. doc said there was sludge but not stones. I was diagnosed with celiac 10 years later. Had intermittent attacks under rib cage. i would feel like I cannot breath. Went to Er first time but after that i "rode it out" at home. Once I went on the gluten-free diet, I thought I was in the clear but, low and behold, I had an attack last week after being gluten-free for 2 years. I am not sure what is going on but there must be a coorelation between the two. It is crazy when we sit here and talk about our histories and realize that sometimes "hindsight is 20/20"
God bless you in your struggles.

#14 Jenn624

Jenn624

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:13 AM

Shortly after having my gallbladder removed last May, the gluten intolerance became apparent. Everyone blamed my intestinal and bowel issues on my lack of a gallbladder. Now that I am gluten-free, I don't have those issues at all.
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
PCOS
Epstein Barr
Vitamin D Deficient
Gallbladder removed 5/2010---that's when the gluten problems really surfaced
Gluten-Free as of 12/26/10

#15 Gfreeatx

Gfreeatx

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

I had my Gallbladder out as well about a year before my diagnosis. I didn't have any stones either, but it was functioning around 10%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: