Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Egg Noodles?

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone make a gluten-free egg noodle? One of our family's favorites is Creamy Italian Noodles. Yesterday I bought Tinkyada lasagna, cooked it partially, cut it into egg noodle size strips; then today I finished cooking them and proceeded to make the recipe. I made plenty of extra so my daughter has a couple of meals' worth of "noodles" in the freezer; so at least I won't have to go through the tedious task of cutting lasagna noodles for a while. Thanks.

Paula

Ads by Google:

While they aren't egg noodles I use the thicker style Thai Kitchen noodles when I make stuff like tuna and noodles. I just break them up, since they are spagetti length, before I put them in the water. I also use thier angel hair style a lot. I love those they cook in only about a minute. If you use the Thai noodles do check them starting at about 1/3 of the listed cook time as they do cook fast. If I let them stay in the time they say on the package they end up way overcooked.

The best gluten-free egg noodle ready made is Seitenbacher egg ribbons (gluten-free) they also have reg noodles so be careful when you order or buy them. They do not fall aprt when reheated....Around $5.00 for a 12 oz. bag. Just google & the distributor in Florida will come up.Our family all time stand-by.

blessings

mamaw

Thank you. I will look for both of these. I did find yesterday that using the cut-up lasagna was so much better on her blood sugar (she has type 1 diabetes) than egg noodles. She's only been gluten-free for about 6 weeks, but prior to diagnosis making these noodles with regular egg noodles usually caused quite a bit of trouble with blood sugar.

Paula

If you can't find noodles, broken up gluten-free fettucine works fine. They look like long flat noodles. Just break them into noodle lengths before cooking.

I did find a recipe for gluten free egg noodles. I just googled it when I went gluten-free. The only issue I had when I made them was it was hard to roll them thin. I was putting them in chicken soup, so it worked as they were more like a thin dumpling. (assuming you aren't expecting the fluffy types of dumplings, which I learned recently are pretty regional...thanks food network :D )