50 replies to this topic

#46 minidanas

minidanas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

"From our perspecitive, the single most promising benefit of glutamine is that, when removed from the diet, it may prevent and reverse villous atrophy, a leaky gut, and the malabsorption of nutrients so commonly seen in celiac disease and Crohn's disease"

Michelle, is that a typo or I don't understand? I skimmed the thread and it seems that eating glutamine is good, but the above statement seems to indicate that removing glutamine from diet is good, i.e. its absense is good, thus making the presense of glutamine bad. Can someone explain this to me? My English isn't good. TIA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

This is an old thread from 2005, and a lot of the people in it don't post anymore. But I'm pretty sure that was some kind of typo! :D L-glutamine has helped a lot of people.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#48 karen McIntosh

karen McIntosh

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

I have just started to use glutamine powder twice a day after consulting one of the nutrition advisors at Whole Foods! I am celiac and had major abdominal surgery over a year ago, and ever since then have suffered from extreme digestive/bowel distress. I am already beginning to notice an improvement after only one week. It is also beneficial for building muscle when working out on a regular basis, and helps the immune system.........It is so very important for celiacs to do whatever they can to lessen the chances of damage to the intestines, and even though we try to adhere to a strictly gluten-free diet, there are so many hidden sources of gluten out there! If anyone has anymore good tips or supplements they are taking to make life better, please share! Thanks. :P

#49 rahorus

rahorus

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

pls anyone tried Scitec nutrition L-glutamine? Is it gluten-free?

#50 Gox

Gox

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hey bean, thanks for posting this, I had similar experience with l-Glutamine, while I was training I was taking it as well and it lowered my allergy symptoms a lot, I continued taking it after I stopped training for a while but some friends put me of saying that it only should be taken while training and I stopped, what straightway happened is return of my allergy symptoms regardless of doctors help... then I never thought that l-Glutamine may be the difference but now when I read this I and thinking back it agrees with what I though initially and should have stick with, thanks again I will be starting this and will let you know how it goes, btw I had many allergic problems I even got to angioedema once...

#51 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I glutened myself last year with CRUMBS. Teent tiny amounts, totally by accident.
Within 3 hours I had diarrhea that lasted over 6 weeks.
I thought I was going to die, everything made me sick.
I started taking glutamine and within days was totally better. It was astonishing.
I don't know if it was a coincidence, but my Dr was totally stumped and just had me taking immodium so I did not get too dehydrated.
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: