This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Typical Weekly Menu?

blondie1985

blondie1985 Rookie

What does one look like in your celiac home? I'm newly diagnosed and moved across country in the middle of this, so this week will be my first week meal planning around celiac. :) Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Are you looking for adult meal plans only or kid friendly as well?

blondie1985 Rookie

It's just me and my husband, thank you!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

My daughter and I are super sensitive, and I have one child who is allergic to almost all of the top 8 allergens. So, our menu is really boring and simple :D

Breakfast: Pancakes, Mesa Sunrise cereal, or Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal (so good!)

Lunch: Usually dinner leftovers or sandwiches

Dinner: Taco salad, Chili pie, grilled chicken w/rice and veg, spaghetti, meatloaf w/potato and veg, pork chops w/potato and veg

Boring, but easy!

Mizzo Enthusiast

Are you looking for adult meal plans only or kid friendly as well?

Few ideas

Breakfast

easy = gluten-free cereal or gluten-free Oatmeal with dried fruits , nuts, whatever , yogurt smoothies, gluten-free bagel or english with Pbutter or jelly or cream cheese

cook= Eggs w/canadian bacon and fruit, Pamela's pancakes I make big batches and freeze extra's, eggs and grits,

Lunch

Easy = Tuna or chicken w/salad, Trader joe's has a few gluten-free frozen meals, mostly mexican and Indian style are microwaveable, Yogurt w/fruit and nuts, gluten-free soups , gluten-free cold cuts w/cheese and Corn tortilla,

Cook = Burgers no bun unless you like the gluten-free buns, stir fry veggies and chicken, rice and beans

Dinner

easy = gluten-free takeout hahaha, Mexican, Outback, etc.., Spaghetti and meatsauce, crock pot a soup or stew ,

Cook = any protein and veggie just use gluten-free sauces, and substitue Corn or brown rice pasta

Just remember any fruit , vegetable, meat, or fish is ok plain. Fresh herbs and simple spices are usually ok ie Ginger, garlic, oregano, thyme,etc.. usually fine , A multi spice concoction I would be weary of.

Do you need safe product list ?

For starters

LaChoy soy sauce or San J Tamari,

Many Wish Bone salad dressing says Gluten free on back

Nature path cereal says gluten-free

Bob's red mills has gluten-free Oats

Most Old El paso products are safe

Tikyada pasta are pretty good or Bionatura

There are loads of list of products I don't have the links but someone else will give them to you if you need it.

Good luck

missy'smom Collaborator

Welcome. I did the whole cross-country move-coast to coast and then went gluten-free so I know how that is. Get online and do a search for "your city" gluten-free or Celiac support. That's how I found the support group here and they were very helpful.

You'll find a variety of diets here just like with the general population. gluten-free is adaptable to any other type of diet-vegetarian, low-carb etc.

Our breakfsats are: Hormel or Oscar Meyer Naturals ham or Kirkland Ham, Jones all nautural sausage links, any old brand of bacon, gluten-free toast made using Pamela's mix, eggs, homemade gluten-free muffins, Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes Cereal, french toast made with EnerG tapioca loaf, Stonyfield Farms yogurt, homemade gluten-free pancakes, OreIda hashbrown patties, fruit

Lunches and Dinners vary alot: the basis is meat, simple fresh veggies, rice, gluten-free pasta using basic staples like herbs, single pure spices, plain canned tomatoes, oils, mayo, catsup, butter, milk, nuts, cheese, a variety of vinegars

for processed meats there are any number of Hot dogs and the like that are gluten-free-we often buy Hebrew National or Boar's Head

Some products we use are Organicville Sesame Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade, Pacific broths, Bone-Suck 'N BBQ Sauce, Healthy Choice Chicken and Rice soup, Earthbalance "buttery" spread

All our desserts and snacks are for my kiddo but I try and stick with "normal", already gluten-free things or things that need very little adaptation like fruit, fruit based creations, gelatin, pudding and the like.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Snacks: flan, larabars, fruit, PB, cheese, trail mix, chocolate, rice crackers, crudites, hummus

breakfast: rice cakes, pancakes (homemade), frozen waffles (Van's better, Trader Joe's okay), scrambled eggs, homemade muffins, leftovers (generally with fruit, sunflower seed butter, and/or fake milk)

lunch: homemade soup (leftover, usually) or stew with crackers or rice if not made with sweet potatoes; sometimes salads

--> you can thicken things with egg yolks, ground nuts, cornstarch or rice flour

dinner: crustless quiche, risotto, mexican using corn tortillas, tex-mex things on sweet potatoes, pasta dishes using quinoa/corn pasta, pilafs using rice/millet/quinoa (with some form of protein and extra veg), bean dishes like chili or lentil salad

Bread substitutes: roasted sweet potatoes, rice, crackers, homemade cornbread, homemade crepes, rice paper wrappers, polenta, corn on the cob

You probably have a handful of recipes that are gluten free or very close to it. I went home and my mother was able to make a number of things that she usually did. My grandmother normally makes a fair number of things that are served with potatoes or rice, like her scallops, chicken catchitore, and homemade BBQ pork.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Since I'm not very good with a lot of grain carbohydrate, Breakfast, depends on what I am doing. If I have to go somewhere, I will load myself with protein, fats, and a vegetable, some fruit, and that and a snack can get me thru until dinner. I have been known to eat dinner leftovers for breakfast, also. A must have is something hot like coffee or tea with coconut milk in it, and maybe some other nut milk, like hemp. Lunch, really varies and if at home, tends to be either nibblies or leftovers. Dinner is usually meat or fish and a salad and vegetable. Weekend treat, going out for some gluten free pizza after doing some fun outside activity. Also, in the winter, I will grind almonds in my trusty blender and make a lot of almond meal and amaranth pancakes and gluten-free quick breads in my cast iron skillets.

More typical

Breakfast: almost always a piece of fruit, some almonds, beverage with coconut milk, and some protein, like a hard boiled egg or some aged organic cheese. I try to make myself eat a small amount of green vegetable before noon, but do not always succeed. :P

Lunch. Rice crackers or rice cake, organic cheese and some peanut butter is the simplest. Fruit. Vegetable. Vegetable leftover. Vegetable slaw. Big salad with leftover meat/chicken on it. Soup. Leftover. Turkey slices. Homemade quick nutmeal bread with some sort of protein, fruit, vegetable. Tortilla with peanut butter. Tortilla with turkey. I also will take boxed gluten free soups and add rinsed canned beans and/or other goodies. Fage yogurt with my own stuff added to it.

Snack. Must have Lara Bar before dinner, or some sort of homemade trail mix or dark chocolate. :ph34r:

Dinner: meat, fish, chicken, vegetable, vegetable, salad, whatever. Maybe some potato as a treat. Sometimes rice pasta with meat sauce and salad. Tortilla topped with meat, beans, avocado, lettuce cheese. Tortilla topped with eggs and chile. In winter, I tend to make more pots of chile and soup.

whitegirlfang Newbie

Hello,

I tend towards healthy living by reducing my intake of meat and some carbs and upping my fruit and veggie intake, with appropriate periodic splurges.

Breakfast: Rice Chex Cereal or any gluten-free variety of chex (available at most local grocery stores), gluten-free waffles, udi's muffins, Fruit (not all of these, just one on any given day)

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner the night before and fruit. I sometimes pack a gluten-free granola bar for snack.

Dinner: Veggie stir fry served over rice or quinoa. Hearty salads with homemade salad dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, and salt (use nuts/seeds in lieu of croutons). Pasta heavy on the veggies and light on the meat or no meat (gluten free pasta available at health food stores).

There are so many things to eat!

-Marie

BethJ Rookie

I make the same things I ate before but substitute gluten-free ingredients. When substitutions aren't possible, I just don't make it any more. For instance, use gluten-free bread crumbs or even instant potato flakes in your meatloaf, corn starch or gluten-free flour mix in gravies, and stock only gluten-free items in your pantry so they'll always be there when you need them. You may have to switch brands from what you're accustomed to buying. I always kept a lot of Campbell's soups on hand but all or most contain wheat so I now stock Progresso gluten-free soups.

It's hard at first but once you get used to reading labels and only buying safe items, planning meals isn't that difficult.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Going gluten-free turned my culinary life upside down, because I always used packaged rice mixes and frozen food entrees.

There's two of us in our household too. I like to buy a couple Rotesserie (sp?) chickens at a time (HarvestLand if you can find them). We have one for a meal and I shred what's left over into individual portions to freeze in plastic bags.

You can take one out the night before to make lunch or dinner.

For lunches: chicken waldorf salad, chicken with pesto, chicken with chopped green onion, sliced grapes & mayo, chicken with chopped celery, cucumber, green onion mayo & curry powder. All good with rice crackers or rice chips or a slice of Ugi bread or corn tortillia chips. I love egg salad or tuna/egg salad or tuna with the aforementioned combos. Fresh fruit salads are wonderful as a main dish or a side.

For dinners: grilled kabobs, rice, fruit. Stir fries. (I took an oriental cooking class in the early '80's and am glad I did it.) Fish, shrimp, steak, burgers, chicken, sweet potatoes, roasted garlic baby potatoes, grilled or baked pork tenderloin, homemade soups/stews. Most of Bush's baked beans are gluten-free. I love sea scallops. Even though they're expensive, they're over the top flavor wise. I try to add fresh herbs and spinach all of the time because of osteopenia.

I use crushed rice chips for panko type coatings on fish or crumbles on top of casseroles.

My toughest time is breakfast. I try to eat a whole fruit with or without honey and or cinnamon and/or peanut butter. I love a Mango smoothie. Haven't tried the pancake mixes yet and don't have a dedicated toaster yet. Bacon and fried taters and eggs have been good. I think the secret to good fried taters is not to turn them to soon.

Bon Appetite! (Hoping you may find yourself eating better and better, and feeling better and better.) If you can grow your own herbs, it's a worthy endeavor.

Good luck,

m

amybeth Enthusiast

Our menu gets pretty repetitive, but I think that's because I don't take the time to try new things.

I mostly use my old recipes and adjust brands/ingredients for the diet.

Here's our dinner plan for this week:

Turkey Chili

Pork Fried Rice

Pork BBQ Nachos

Lemon Butter Chicken w/ broccoli and rice

Pizza Bake (Tinkyada pasta, pepperoni, sausage, pizza sauce, green pepper, italian cheese baked in a casserole)

Baked Monte Cristo (From Pamela's Products Website) with fries

And on our very busy night, Bell and Evans gluten-free nuggets with veggies

scarlett77 Apprentice

I'm just going to do dinners since breakfast & lunch vary widely at our house due to me working and kids stay home with Dad. These are kind of broken up by type which is basically how I plan my meals and rotate.

Dinners:

Stew (beef or chicken)

Pasta- either homemade mac & cheese or homemade meat sauce, with salad or steamed veggies and gluten-free breadsticks or gluten-free cheese toast (breadsticks I use Chebe mix, cheese toast I use Udi's bread with garlic oil, parmsean, and mozzarella cheese)

Mexican- either nachos or tacos usually served with rice & beans

Grilled- pork ribs, steak, or chicken with roasted or baked potatoes and salad

Breakfast- eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast or pancakes

Pizza- use Chebe mix to make dough and grill or bake (I prefer grill)

Asian- stir fry chicken or beef with veggies served with either rice noodles or rice

Easy kid friendly- hot dogs & chili or baked beans, grilled cheese & carrot sticks, paninis, fried chicken strips and fries (I use pamela's pancake mix and parm for the breading)

RideAllWays Enthusiast

If you like to cook, then this disease can be... fun? (in the experimenting sense, not the symptoms..) at times. I think where it would get hard is if you are a "grab and go" kind of eater. I make sundays a cooking day...

Breakfast:

-cereal, toast, you can buy lots of fast gluten-free options, but it can get expensive and these items pack a lot of calories

-fruit-by itself or in smoothies

-rice cakes with peanut butter and banana

Lunch:

-A big pot of chili is easy to make, and can last about a week..I take it to school or work and heat it up in the microwave.

-Chop a bunch of veggies and keep in a container, then you can have peppers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber...accessible at all times

-rice cakes with meat and cheese, tuna, whatever

-Fruit

-Any leftovers from dinner, really

Dinner:

-chicken, steak, ribs...those are what I usually make and keep for the next day or two, or you can always freeze

-shepard's pie

-salads (you can put anything in, and there are tons of gluten-free dressings, or just lemon juice and olive oil)

-stir-fries..chicken/beef, rice/noodles/quinoa, any veggies, any sauce...never gets old!

Really the possibilities are endless! I have not found one thing that I haven't been able to make gluten-free yet. I love sharing recipes, if you want to feel free to email me what you are missing and I bet I've tried to make it before :D

cap6 Enthusiast

I don't like to cook at all so this has really been a challenge. I make up a 2 week menu & then spend on day cooking & freezing meals ahead so that all I have to do is defrost & heat it up. Add some veggies & we're good to go.

Archived