Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help Please. My One Year Old Has Been Diagnosed With Celiac Disease.

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 Sammys_mom

Sammys_mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

In need of help. I've been reading and talking to other parents about the disease so I'm good there. My main problem is what to stock my pantry with. What are the basics that I need to get me going? I have xanthum gum, a few different kinds of flours but other than that I'm stuck. I cook everything I can from scratch, and now he has Celiac its gotten tricky. He has Gluten Free cereal, oatmeal, crackers, ect for snacks and those have been a blessing. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. List, links, anything will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Mandy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

It sounds like you're doing just fine. It's hard to answer the question of what to stock in your pantry without knowing everythign your family likes. There really isn't a "pantry list" that fits every family.

What a lot of people (myself included) relied on heavily in the beginning is to make out weekly menu each week and see what ingredients you'll need for the week. This also helps in making the most of meals. For example, when I make a roast with veggies I know the leftovers are going to become stew. My son really likes PB&J on fresh baked bread (vs. frozen), so I make a loaf to have with dinner and the next day we have French toast for breakfast with PB&J for lunch. The remaining bread gets sliced and frozen for future use. With working and juggling day to day activities, it really helps me to know what the week is going to look like.

That said, here are some things we keep on hand in case it helps:

Pasta - spaghetti, various shapes, lasagna
Bars - fruit bars, nut bars, "granola" type bars, rice treat bars, etc.
Tomato sauce and paste for fresh pizza sauce
Spaghetti sauce
Canned tuna and turkey
Dried fruit
Crackers
Rice
Potatoes

#3 jeanne-

jeanne-

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi Mandy,

This could be a good time to reduce your dependence on grains and shift more to fruits and veggies as snacks. Our family has been gluten free for three weeks now. I try to have a bowl of fruit or on the table each day for snacks instead of crackers etc. Take care.

Jeanne

#4 ToHelpMySon

ToHelpMySon

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

My 16 month old has been on a gluten-free diet for 5 days now and I have shifted his snacks and meals heavily to fruits and veggies. Occasionally he snacks on gluten-free cereal like Chex Honey Nut Gluten-Free cereal. I also have shifted focus to meats and dairy products that are gluten-free. I have yet to give him any gluten-free breads or pastas because I don't even know where to find them. I think I need to go alone to Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage and really looks around or ask questions.

Good luck, this isn't easy!

Melissa

#5 Sammys_mom

Sammys_mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks everyone. We are a huge fresh fruits and veggies household, and that's mostly what we eat. I'm just trying to find the good "flours" to cook with so when it comes to birthdays, holidays, and get togethers I can cook some stuff up. Friends and family have been great at making meals that he can eat when we go out but it all taste funky. I'd like to find the good stuff so I can make him rolls for when we have stew, topping for the baked chili, etc.

He's been Gluten free for almost 3 months and has gained 7 lbs. :) He started out at 13 lbs when he was 10 months old and his now 20 lbs at 13 months old. He caught up and has now leveled off. I get so happy when he smiles at me cause I'm laughing at his new "fat" rolls. Who knew the fourth one would be so much trouble. I thought that was supposed to be the middle children. :lol:

#6 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

In need of help. I've been reading and talking to other parents about the disease so I'm good there. My main problem is what to stock my pantry with. What are the basics that I need to get me going? I have xanthum gum, a few different kinds of flours but other than that I'm stuck. I cook everything I can from scratch, and now he has Celiac its gotten tricky. He has Gluten Free cereal, oatmeal, crackers, ect for snacks and those have been a blessing. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. List, links, anything will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Mandy

My special gluten-free staples are:
Chex
Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
Chebe Mix (Original or All Purpose)
Tinkyada Pasta (I prefer the spiral and shell shapes for little ones)
Udi's bread
Van's gluten-free waffles or french toast sticks
San-J Tamari (soy sauce replacement)
Annie's or DeBoles box Mac & cheese

Other than that everything is pretty normal and main stream. For snacks we do things that are normally gluten-free like popcorn, fruit, fruit snacks, cheese, etc. Be careful with yogurt because some of them have barley in it. My babies loved yogurt but hated me feeding it to them so I buy the drinkable kind and put it in a sippy cup. Great for breakfast on the go with some dry Chex.

If you get stuck with dinner ideas try googling for a gluten free version of a traditional gluten favorite. I've done this for all kids of things from Mongolian Beef to donuts. And for the record I successfully made gluten-free donut holes with the Pamela's mix over the weekend that were a HUGE hit. The recipe is on the Pamela's website.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#7 Talia

Talia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi Sammy's mom,
My 3 year old daughter has now been on a gluten free, dairy free and egg free diet for about 5 months now.
I understand how hard it is! A mian staple at our house is rice bread crumbs to make chicken nuggets with : )

If you coat chicken with olive oil and then combine cumbs with chives, parsley salt and pepper. After coating with olive oil coat with the crumb mixture bake at 350 for 8 mins on each side. They are soooo good!

A bread maker is key when really doing this diet because the ready made gluten free bread is dry and grose in my opinion.

Anyways hope this was helpful : )

#8 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hi Talia,
Can you share your bread recipe? I have been buying ener-g and the cost is killing me.
Michigan

#9 seezee

seezee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

We use mixes for bread usually gluten-free pantry but there are about a dozen different ones. I think there are some good recipe books too that you can check out. Most of the mixes I get online because it's about half as much as in the market. I suggest trying them out first if you have a whole foods nearby and then getting them in bulk online.

#10 Talia

Talia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

The base of the bread is a pre made mixture with all the yeast etc. already in it.
Its a brown/white rice bread mixture you get two packages in the box for about $6.00 and all you need to add is water and oil.
It is so good and freezes really well : ) On your bread maker use the sweet bread setting it works the best...and if you want add some garlic powder, rosemary, parsley, chives and some rice cheese (if you cant have dairy either).
Its super easy and tastes like actual garlic cheese bread : ) My daughter and I love it!
Hope this helps : )

#11 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:42 AM

My special gluten-free staples are:
Chex
Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix
Chebe Mix (Original or All Purpose)
Tinkyada Pasta (I prefer the spiral and shell shapes for little ones)
Udi's bread
Van's gluten-free waffles or french toast sticks
San-J Tamari (soy sauce replacement)
Annie's or DeBoles box Mac & cheese

Other than that everything is pretty normal and main stream. For snacks we do things that are normally gluten-free like popcorn, fruit, fruit snacks, cheese, etc. Be careful with yogurt because some of them have barley in it. My babies loved yogurt but hated me feeding it to them so I buy the drinkable kind and put it in a sippy cup. Great for breakfast on the go with some dry Chex.

If you get stuck with dinner ideas try googling for a gluten free version of a traditional gluten favorite. I've done this for all kids of things from Mongolian Beef to donuts. And for the record I successfully made gluten-free donut holes with the Pamela's mix over the weekend that were a HUGE hit. The recipe is on the Pamela's website.

Us too! Looks like our pantries are the same. It gets so much easier after several months on the diet; we've been on it since June for my six yr old...definitely I've had some surprises, exhausted moments and frustrations, but its sort of leveling out now that we have our "staples" down. She loves Udi's bread products and I keep a lot of their frozen pizza crusts in the freezer so I can quickly make my own mini pizzas for her which she loves. She also loves Bell and Evans gluten free chicken, and we also discovered grilled chicken is a new favorite for her...so that opened up a ton of options, even for eating out at restaurants that offer a Gluten-Free menu. She enjoys veggies too...so glad your little one does, it makes it so much easier. I would recommend the book that the Celiac Sprue Association puts out, it has a list of every gluten free product in America and some stores around the country that sell gluten-free things too. Takes a little while to find foods, so its nice to have this "bible" of gluten free options. You can get it by going online to their website...which of course I don't have on me, but you can google the Assoc. and order the book if you see their phone no. For 30 dollars it made a HUGE difference in how to shop, where to shop, what to buy and even includes body/health products. Best of luck mom. Emily

#12 Sammys_mom

Sammys_mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hi Sammy's mom,
My 3 year old daughter has now been on a gluten free, dairy free and egg free diet for about 5 months now.
I understand how hard it is! A mian staple at our house is rice bread crumbs to make chicken nuggets with : )

If you coat chicken with olive oil and then combine cumbs with chives, parsley salt and pepper. After coating with olive oil coat with the crumb mixture bake at 350 for 8 mins on each side. They are soooo good!

A bread maker is key when really doing this diet because the ready made gluten free bread is dry and grose in my opinion.

Anyways hope this was helpful : )

Thank you so much. I'll be trying this very soon. :)

#13 bakermom

bakermom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Mandy,
I cook and bake from scratch too, and I've been doing it more than four years now. My six year old daughter doesn't get enough fiber, and I haven't yet found a ready-made bread or bread mix she'll eat that has enough fiber. I invested in a few books from Bette Hagman, who is a gluten-free baker. I use her books for bread recipes which can go in the bread machine or be made the regular way. I add ground flaxseed to each recipe (3T) and it really adds a lot of fiber to keep my daughter regular.

Bette has a cream soup mix recipe which helps you replace soups in cooking. She has a lot of recipes that have helped me understand how to make over a lot of my old favorites into gluten-free delights. I now work on my own, but those have been invaluable resources for understanding how some of the ingredients you have bought interact together.

I'll be happy to share more if you wish, but just wanted to get this reply out. In four years, I feel so good about everything, and usually my family can't tell too much difference with gluten-free items anymore......

Bakermom

#14 Ashlin's Mama

Ashlin's Mama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

I recently found this website - www.celiacdisease.net. It's to the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center. Tremendous amount of information. If you click on "Programs and Events" at the bottom of the screen and then care package, it'll give you directions to get this awesomely huge gift basket from them. My daughter was so excited to get it! It's stuffed full of information and food.

Loucinda

#15 glutenfreemommy

glutenfreemommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Just wanted to share a bread recipe I got from Living Without magazine...it is our new favorite and my kids and husband finally enjoy fresh bread again!

Champion Sandwich Bread

2 cups white or brown rice flour

1 cup tapioca starch

1 cup potato starch

1 Tbsp Xantham Gum

1 Tbsp Gluten Free Egg replacer

2 tsp salt

cup powdered milk

2 tsp active dry yeast

3 large eggs

cup melted butter

2 tsp cider vinegar

1/3 cup honey

2 cups warm water (110-115 F)

Grease and flour two small bread pans
Mix all dry ingredients (including yeast) together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
Place eggs, butter, vinegar and honey in a mixing bowl (stand mixer), with the paddle attachment mix ingredients for about 30 sec until blended.
Add of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix until well blended, add the remaining dry ingredients.
With the mixer on low, slowly add warm water until well absorbed, blend for 4 min. on high.
Spoon dough into pans and let rise for 50-60 min (I put mine on top of the oven while its heating and cover with saran wrap and a towel).
Bake at 375 for 35-50 min (mine seems to cook in about 40 min?). Cool in pan for 10 min. then transfer to rack.

I don't think you need to shy away from grains...you just need to use gluten free ones. We prefer gluten free quinoa or rice pasta to wheat pasta anyway! I make my own homemade banana breads, muffins and cookies because I just don't like the chemical additives in prepackaged food for the most part (although I do buy it once in a blue moon for convenience;)
Fruit, veg, meats and cheeses, yogurts are all good snacks in our house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: