This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whey Protein

njbeachbum

njbeachbum Explorer

OK, it's been a while since I posted here - hi guys!

I've been using Biochem Sports whey protein for a very long time and I just started to make a possible connection between the Stevia that they use as a sweetener and my frequent headaches.

I'm looking for a whey protein powder that is confirmed gluten free by the manufacturer and does not use Stevia or artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, etc.)

Any ideas? I'm having a hard time finding anything that meets my criteria :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

njbeachbum Explorer

BUMP

Anyone?? Pretty, pretty please?

njbeachbum Explorer

OK - I got this response from Optimum Nutrition about their protein products. Has anyone tried these?

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your interest in Optimum Nutrition products. The

following products are those to avoid; those which absolutely contain

gluten:

100% Whey Gold Standard-Cookies n' Cream (cookie pieces)

100% Casein Gold Standard -Cookies n' cream (cookie pieces)

Serious Mass-all flavors(glutamine peptides)

Aftermax-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex Gainer-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Nitro-Core 24 - all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Lift Bar - Cookies & Cream (glutamine peptides & cookie pieces)

OPD bar - All flavors (wheat protein isolate)

Steel bar (the one in new packaging/12 count box)- all flavors (wheat

protein isolate)

Wholly Oats Bar -all flavors (wheat protein isolate)

100 % Whey Crisp Bar - all flavors

No Regrets Bar - all flavors

Platinum Hydrowhey -Cookies & Cream (cookie pieces)

*To the best of our knowledge these are the only products that contain

gluten. While we are not adding gluten to our other products, we cannot

say with 100% certainty that our other products are gluten-free. We use

the same equipment to make products with and without gluten. Although

the equipment is cleaned in-between, trace amounts of gluten may remain.

Best of health!

Rebecca Johnsen

Consumer Affairs Rep

Optimum Nutrition/American Body Building

1-800-705-5226

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Optimum Nutrition is Good To Go. I bet I've been using their product for 3+ years now.

I literally have three tubs sitting in my office right now.

(2 are empty and I need to get them to the recycling bin)

~Wheatfreedude~

njbeachbum Explorer

Hey thanks Wheatfreedude! I appreciate the response. I picked up some of the 100% Whey at Vitamin Shoppe this weekend and tried it out this morning. I might try out the 100% Casein for overnight workout recovery too. The 100% Whey really mixes much smoother than the other stuff I used and the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is quite tasty!

I use the Insanity workout program (from beachbody) in the AM and need a really substantial recovery drink to fuel my muscles and get myself moving through the rest of the day. I saw great results from that program in my first round and I never even used their nutrition guide - it's too difficult for a Celiac to "adapt" a meal plan like that. Anyway, thanks again and it's great to see other fit/active Celiacs out there :)

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Most of the time, we focus on Pre-workout shakes and Post-workout shakes. But, don't forget your before bedtime shake.

You actually build muscle while you are sleeping. Make sure your body has a nice dosing of protein powder while you are sawing some Z's! It works.

~Wheatfreedude~

njbeachbum Explorer

Awesome, thanks! Casein protein is the best at night because it's slower absorbing right? A good option is always a cup of greek yogurt before bed for a dose of about 15g of protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

abdab Newbie

OK, it's been a while since I posted here - hi guys!

I've been using Biochem Sports whey protein for a very long time and I just started to make a possible connection between the Stevia that they use as a sweetener and my frequent headaches.

I'm looking for a whey protein powder that is confirmed gluten free by the manufacturer and does not use Stevia or artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, etc.)

Any ideas? I'm having a hard time finding anything that meets my criteria :(

I think I will probably try some Muscle Gauge Nutrition whey protein isolate . It is listed as gluten free and lactose free by the manufacturer. Looks OK in the advertisements but then they always do.

Open Original Shared Link

Has anybody tried this brand ? Any feedback ?

Jonathan Newbie

I think I will probably try some Muscle Gauge Nutrition whey protein isolate . It is listed as gluten free and lactose free by the manufacturer. Looks OK in the advertisements but then they always do.

Has anybody tried this brand ? Any feedback ?

I've been purchasing the 5 pound tubs of MGN Whey Isolate from here: Open Original Shared Link

I like the fact that MGN's web site says that all of their products are gluten free. I was previously using Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Whey Standard. I think the ON tasted about the same or maybe a little better, and it mixed better. But the MGN is all whey isolate instead of a blend of various grades of whey, it is gluten free, and it is cheaper.

Avoid the peanut butter flavor. It doesn't mix well or taste good (IMHO). The chocolate is very good. The cake batter is very good, too. I just recently got the cinnamon bun flavor which is well reviewed in the google searching that I did, but I haven't tried that one yet.

abdab Newbie

I've been purchasing the 5 pound tubs of MGN Whey Isolate from here: Open Original Shared Link

I like the fact that MGN's web site says that all of their products are gluten free. I was previously using Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Whey Standard. I think the ON tasted about the same or maybe a little better, and it mixed better. But the MGN is all whey isolate instead of a blend of various grades of whey, it is gluten free, and it is cheaper.

Avoid the peanut butter flavor. It doesn't mix well or taste good (IMHO). The chocolate is very good. The cake batter is very good, too. I just recently got the cinnamon bun flavor which is well reviewed in the google searching that I did, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks for that. I will give it a try.

• 1 month later...
drgoogle Newbie

When I started getting super strict with gluten and dairy avoidance I started using a whey protein supplement from a company called Xocai. I'm not sure where you buy the stuff if you don't know someone who sells it, and I just happened to have a coworker who was always pushing these "healthy cacao" products on everyone. I was always super skeptical and hated the pyramid-like structure of the company. However, I tried the protein because I felt the usual tubs I was getting from sport nutrition stores weren't sitting well. I LOVE the product but unfortunately can't afford to keep purchasing it (I think it was about $160 for 2.5 lb). It tastes amazing, and tastes so much more natural than anything else I've tried, and I swear it helped me feel better. Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...
BoydBT Apprentice

When I started getting super strict with gluten and dairy avoidance I started using a whey protein supplement from a company called Xocai. I'm not sure where you buy the stuff if you don't know someone who sells it, and I just happened to have a coworker who was always pushing these "healthy cacao" products on everyone. I was always super skeptical and hated the pyramid-like structure of the company. However, I tried the protein because I felt the usual tubs I was getting from sport nutrition stores weren't sitting well. I LOVE the product but unfortunately can't afford to keep purchasing it (I think it was about $160 for 2.5 lb). It tastes amazing, and tastes so much more natural than anything else I've tried, and I swear it helped me feel better. Just my 2 cents.

BoydBT Apprentice

What about Whey if you are lactose intolerant, like most of us are? I have tried this product called Zrii and it is a shake one meal replacement and I get the runs from that.

It has Whey in it.

meatslayer Newbie

I really like this entire product line.

• 4 weeks later...
abdab Newbie

What about Whey if you are lactose intolerant, like most of us are? I have tried this product called Zrii and it is a shake one meal replacement and I get the runs from that.

It has Whey in it.

Try whey isolates. They are usually lactose free.

• 1 month later...
chili Apprentice

Kaizan whey isolate is really good!

• 2 weeks later...
ali-squidz Newbie

I love this stuff. I cannot have wheat or dairy but this stuff is fine. Check out the ingredients. It includes Lactase for easy digestion.

I love the cookie madness flavor.

• 2 weeks later...
color-me-confused Explorer

Try whey isolates. They are usually lactose free.

about 10 years ago I spent most of my workouts doing Olympic lifts or kettlebells. I miss being in great shape LOL. I used to consume this company's whey isolate: Open Original Shared Link

you can choose your flavorings and sweetener. It mixes very thin (not cake batter-ish like some products) and is easy to slurp down. Back then I had real trouble with lactose but never with this whey.

• 3 weeks later...
GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

about 10 years ago I spent most of my workouts doing Olympic lifts or kettlebells. I miss being in great shape LOL. I used to consume this company's whey isolate: Open Original Shared Link

you can choose your flavorings and sweetener. It mixes very thin (not cake batter-ish like some products) and is easy to slurp down. Back then I had real trouble with lactose but never with this whey.

I give ProteinFactor 2 thumbs up.

Racer-J Newbie

I don't have an official diagnosis but, I was using Bluebonnet "100% Natural Whey Protein Isolate Powder". The only ingredients are undenatured whey protein isolate and natural vanilla flavor. It has a warning that it contains milk. It comes from cows that are not treated with rGBH if that is a concern. It also states that it doesn't contain any of the following:

Free of egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybeans.

Also free of corn, yeast, gluten, barley, rice, and sugar.

The company takes allergens very seriously. I didn't have any issues with it that I have had with other foods but, I did rotate it out when I dropped all milk products a while back. I am going to pass it along to my father though since he in need of an easy source of protein and since I trust the product and the company.

Amazon has the 2.2 lb container for $37.69 and when I bought it at Whole Foods last December, it was $44.99 for the 2.2 lb container.

It mixes pretty easily even if you don't use a blender but, it will clump if the liquid you are using is cool so it may be best to use a blender. I would toss it in a blender with water and a banana and thought it had a great taste. It's drinkable with just water but, it's not going to taste delicious that way. I had chosen this product because it was gluten free and besides the vanilla, it didn't have any other ingredients. Natural vanilla can be synthetic though in case anyone is concerned about that. Everything else I found that was gluten free was full of additives, sweeteners, and artificial colours/flavors/etc.

• 4 weeks later...
AliciaF Newbie

I'm new here and wanted to provide another option for gluten-free protein powder. I've been using the banana flavor 100% whey protein from Bioplex Nutrition. It says "gluten-free" on the container. I'm not sure about their other flavors but the banana is definitely a safe choice.

Archived