7 replies to this topic

#1 Googles

Googles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I bought my first loaf of gluten free bread (Udi). At the store it comes in the freezer case. Do I need to keep it in my freezer at home? If so, what is the best way to defrost it to use it for sandwiches. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,697 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

I don't use UDI's but the bread I do use is also frozen. I take out about 1/4 to 1/2 loaf and put it in the fridge to thaw if I am eating a lot of sandwiches or toast that week. If not I just thaw out what I am using right then by toasting or zap it in the microwave for a few seconds.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

I leave the Udi's on the counter and let it defrost. My son is hooked on sandwiches and toast so we go through about a loaf a week.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#4 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

Thanks!

#5 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

I just starting to find and use Udi's bread and it's the best bread out there. It is unique from all other gluten free breads that I've tried in that you can defrost it by leaving it out on the counter for 10-15 minutes and it is still edible! Most others need to be nuked and toasted slightly to make it taste right.

Enjoy!
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#6 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

I typically buy 6-8 loaves frozen and keep in the freezer. I will pull one loaf out and let it defrost in the fridge and just store it in the fridge. If I need to defrost quickly I will just use the microwave.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

I leave mine in the freezer.

When I need a couple slices for a sandwich, I wrap each slice in a moistened paper towel and nuke both of them at the same time for about 8 seconds. Then I turn them over and zap em for another 8 sec.

For toast, I just use them frozen. Actually, I butter one side lightly, and toast them in a pop-up toaster set on "Bagel". That is, it only toasts one side. The butter side of course. Most don't know you can do that. I'm claiming it as my discovery. If there is a little bit of smoke, just ignore it. B)

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#8 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

When I am taking bread to work, I pop it into one of those inexpensive fold over baggies and by the time I get to work it is soft and yummy. Works for bagels too. I just tried the Rudi's bread and I like it better than the Udi brand.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: