Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Gluten Free Bread

8 posts in this topic

I bought my first loaf of gluten free bread (Udi). At the store it comes in the freezer case. Do I need to keep it in my freezer at home? If so, what is the best way to defrost it to use it for sandwiches. Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I don't use UDI's but the bread I do use is also frozen. I take out about 1/4 to 1/2 loaf and put it in the fridge to thaw if I am eating a lot of sandwiches or toast that week. If not I just thaw out what I am using right then by toasting or zap it in the microwave for a few seconds.

I leave the Udi's on the counter and let it defrost. My son is hooked on sandwiches and toast so we go through about a loaf a week.

Thanks!

I just starting to find and use Udi's bread and it's the best bread out there. It is unique from all other gluten free breads that I've tried in that you can defrost it by leaving it out on the counter for 10-15 minutes and it is still edible! Most others need to be nuked and toasted slightly to make it taste right.

Enjoy!

I typically buy 6-8 loaves frozen and keep in the freezer. I will pull one loaf out and let it defrost in the fridge and just store it in the fridge. If I need to defrost quickly I will just use the microwave.

I leave mine in the freezer.

When I need a couple slices for a sandwich, I wrap each slice in a moistened paper towel and nuke both of them at the same time for about 8 seconds. Then I turn them over and zap em for another 8 sec.

For toast, I just use them frozen. Actually, I butter one side lightly, and toast them in a pop-up toaster set on "Bagel". That is, it only toasts one side. The butter side of course. Most don't know you can do that. I'm claiming it as my discovery. If there is a little bit of smoke, just ignore it. B)

best regards, lm

When I am taking bread to work, I pop it into one of those inexpensive fold over baggies and by the time I get to work it is soft and yummy. Works for bagels too. I just tried the Rudi's bread and I like it better than the Udi brand.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• In Dire Need Of Help
      Hi my name is Alex and I am 23 years old. I am suffering so badly right now in life. Everyday I have multiple, very severe panic attacks. I have called 911 many times in the last 6 months. I am suffering with vertigo, intense weakness and pains, I can not digest anything, I have terrible acid reflux, I can't sleep, I can't relax, my heart constantly palpitates, my breathing is "forced labor" all day. I am suffering in a mental fog. I have been from doctor to hospital to doctor and every EKG comes back normal, every doctor says the same thing, I am struggling with anxiety and they write me whatever prescription of the week they are offering  I recently took it upon myself to cut gluten out of my diet, and wallah! I felt like I did in high school within 2 days. I work in NYC and many times it is nearly impossible to find something containing no gluten, and many times when I ask they tell me "No Gluten" and I eat whatever food I ordered (probably salad w/ dressing) and i find myself driving home in a terrible panic attack. Panic is my main symptom. I have not been diagnosed yet, but the difference from how I feel and how to the people around me tell me I act I am 100% convinced. The question I'm having is, what do you think? Is it possible I have Celiac? Can panic be the main symptom? I'm telling you right now, my anxiety is unlike anything anyone has ever seen. I lay on the ground for 2 hours with numb limbs feeling like I am having a stroke unable to talk to anyone. I have 2 of these a day. Please let me know your thoughts. I truly am a novice with all of this. I am suffering and I need help. Thanks
    • celiac disease is psychosomatic
      The following link might be helpful for others experiencing simlar psychosomatic issues with doctors. Although it's only for psychiatrists, I think it should be for all doctors! http://www.psychsearch.net/complaints/ The neuropsychiatrist I saw might fall into this category? I can checkmark:

Falsified medical records
       No Biological Test for "Mental Illness" (no blood, urine or other lab testing)
       Breach of Confidentiality (...if she sends my medical records to my doctor or discusses them with him. I am requesting a copy of my records from this doctor t see if she sent anything to him.)
       Physical Illness Misdiagnosed as "Mental Illness"
       I was told I have a "chemical imbalance" (without any lab tests)
       Unethical Conduct
       Unprofessional conduct
       Something else that didn't seem quite right  
    • Allergy or Preference? Waiter asks
      At my local Five Guys, I told the counter guy that I had to avoid gluten for medical reasons. I was ordering a burger with no bun and some fries. He yelled back "Allergy Alert!" and every line cook immediately changed gloves and cleaned their work space. Will I go back? You bet I will!
      The office is located in another city than where I go. There is no receptionist at the location closest to me meaning patients wait for the doctor to open her closed door to call their names for a consult. So, I would have to knock on her door which would really make her say that I'm sick since I keep writing letters AND showing up in person. The main office is too far for me to travel with road construction going on for the remainder of the year. I suppose I could mail the letter instead. But the staff is very irresponsible so it might be thrown away. The doctor probably told them that nothing needed correction in my records so ignore further requests from me. The other staff member I dealt with seemed normal, but I complained to the doctor about the staff member I dealt with today when she failed to update my phone number that I gave to her a few times (and which she said she updated), which resulted in me showing up for an appointment (I traveled a distance) one of the testers thought she canceled by leaving voicemail for phone number I no longer had. What I mean is I told the doctor that the staff member said she updated my phone number when the doctor asked me why I was there when I showed up for that cancelled appointment. Unfortunately, this staff member answers the phone most of the time. I'm sure she did what she could to make me look bad to the doctor to make her look good because I complained about her. I feel like scheduling an appointment with a psychologist to tell her what happened with this name calling. I'm sure it's against therapist code or I'd like a psychologist's feedback on this doctor's behavior. There are other patient complaints about her on the Internet how she laughs at patient's pain and suffering. I feel that's how she treated me. Update: The staff member called me back to tell me the doctor amended my report and she put it in the mail. I wonder if the doctor discussed what she said to me with another doctor who told her what she did was unacceptable in the medical field. I am hoping my report is amended or new negative comments are not added by the doctor to say I keep writing her letters or something in that regard.
      The letter I am suggesting has nothing to do with the doctor.  I would type it and walk it to the desk when are in the building for your other appointment. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AlexanderParker