12 replies to this topic

#1 precious831

precious831

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

For lunch I had Amy's Split pea soup. Now normally I make my own everything but I was in a hurry and didn't have lunch ready. So I had this for lunch and I think I'm reacting to it. It says gluten-free on the can but has anyone had issues with this brand by any chance? I eat all the ingredients in it with no problems, I don't know what's causing my stomach ache now. I feel like I've been glutened.

Thanks.
Grain-free,dairy-free, soy-free (celiac, possible colitis now as well).
Extremely allergic to shellfish, Aspirin & Ibuprofen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

I had a reaction to the frozen pizza. The enchiladas I was ok with though (weird).
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#3 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

I can't speak to the Split Pea but I had a very bad reaction to the Tomato.

I actually thought I caught the flu because I was feeling just like it, and a friend of mine was sick a few days before. Then my Husband comes home from work and I tell him I'm not feeling good. He picks up the empty Amy's Tomato Soup can from the recyclable bin.

"Did you eat this?"

"Yeah..."

"It has gluten in it..."

"No it says its gluten free right on the back."

"Yeah but right under that it says it is processed on equipment that processes wheat... in itty bitty letters"

"!@#$%^%**#$"

You may want to double check the can. I have a hard time trusting Amy's anymore. And I loved their Black Bean Chili. :(
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

#4 Piccolo

Piccolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

Unfortunately Amy's is known for its cross contamination. I have had a reaction to their products. Pre-gluten free I could eat it. Post gluten free I won't touch is again. I had a delayed reaction and I got dizzy and was sick for 6 hours. Be fair warned Amy's can have cc.

Susan
Dairy/Cesain free Oct. 2005
Gluten free June 2006

#5 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

Awww ... I haven't even tried my Annie's soups since going gluten-free. I'll double-check all my cans and make sure they don't have the "same equipment" label.

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

I just don't like the Amy's products I've tried. The pizza was over-priced and I had a problem afterwards. I bought a tortilla something-or-other that wasn't tasty and my stomach actually hurt afterwards. Then I tried a can of Black Bean Soup and it was just YUCK! So I've crossed Amy's off my list permanently.

While it's nice to have an occasional prepared food, my own home-cooked are so much better so I try to keep a stash in my freezer for those times I come home late or get busy and just don't feel like cooking.

As far as prepared soups are concerned, I find Progresso to be so much better.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks girls, I really think it was the soup. I am still reeling from that reaction. I feel sick and flu-like. My joints are swollen and achy again and plus big D and all that,sigh. Never gonna buy that again. I feel horrible that I gave that to my kid who is gluten-intolerant.

If it's made in the same equipment as wheat then why call it gluten-free? No good!

I hate feeling sick...uggh. Thanks for all the replies. No more Amy's for me.

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

So sorry you feel so bad!

And I'm right there with you on the guilt. :( I was sending Amy's gluten free microwave meals, like the gluten-free mac and cheese, with my daughter to sleep overs, and half the time she'd come back having a gluten reaction. I thought for a long time she wasn't washing her hands or being careful enough with CC while in their house. Wasn't until she had the same meal at our gluten-free house one night and still got sick that we finally figured it out.

Feels so bad to know we zapped our babies, huh? But at least now we know so none of us will get sick again. Hoping that you feel better real soon.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#9 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

If you had a reaction to one of Amy's products and still have the package please call the company. They'll retest that batch for gluten and let you know the results.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#10 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

For lunch I had Amy's Split pea soup. Now normally I make my own everything but I was in a hurry and didn't have lunch ready. So I had this for lunch and I think I'm reacting to it. It says gluten-free on the can but has anyone had issues with this brand by any chance? I eat all the ingredients in it with no problems, I don't know what's causing my stomach ache now. I feel like I've been glutened.

Thanks.

I have 7 diagnosed food allergies/intolerances. If I eat even a tiny bit of one of my allergens, my excruciating gut pain and bloating (or tachycarida with cane sugar) tell me within a few hours that I've consumed an allergen. I've eaten several varieties of Amy's soups (which don't contain my allergens). I must carefully read the ingredients to determine whether a specific Amy's product is safe for me. However, I've never had any problems with the 3-4 varieties of Amy's soups that don't contain my allergens. Obviously I can't eat all of Amy's products, because many contain dairy, soy or cane sugar, to which I react strongly.

SUE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#11 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

I'd say it was the fact you ate split pea soup! Ok teasing. I can't stand the stuff but I have eaten AMY's frozen goods before without an issue. Their can goods are WAY more than I am willing to pay. I have also heard of the CC with that brand. I sure hope you feel better, and soon!
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#12 precious831

precious831

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm still feeling icky but I'm getting there. In response to Janet, I already threw the can so I don't have the batch number. Oh well. I learned my lesson.

I still feel like flu and feeling exhausted, no energy, swollen/achy joints, headache. My stomach's not so bad, thanks everyone for all your help!

#13 aeryn

aeryn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

I had avoided trying Amy's products simply because I could see that there were other, non-gluten free items that they make too and I figured there would be cross-contamination. Glad I decided to avoid it! (Sorry to hear about your reaction though.) I'm going to continue to stick with companies that have "dedicated gluten free facility" on the label!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: