This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How Clean Does The Grill Top Have To Be?

Kay DH

Kay DH Apprentice

I called a brew pub yesterday to determine IF I can eat their food at a scheduled holiday party (work). The person in charge of the event never heard of celiac but had heard of gluten. She just said, check our online menu for what you can eat. I replied that I can't eat anything on the menu unless the salad is safe or the grill area is cleaned first (no broiler). She said they can't clean the grill for just me. My question is. How long does it take to scrape an area on the grill surface and is this enough? I am very sensitive to cc but have been able to eat at several (non-greasy-spoon) breakfast places without problems. It gets so tedious when restaurants don't want to bother with you. This is a nice brew pub, and it's owned by a fellow scientist that is running for political office, so I would have assumed the personnel would be more knowledgeable and interested. I'll call the manager later, but it would be good to find out from you, first. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

It depends on what they cook on the grill. If all they ever put on it is plain burger & burgers with cheese, it would probably be good. If they grill teryiaki marinated chicken breasts & toast buns on it, it will probably never be clean enough. Maybe they would cook yours in a clean skillet (pan) instead of on the grill. Call at a non busy time, like 11 am or 2pm and talk to the manager or the kitchen manager. Some places I have talked to will not even make an effort because they are too busy or are afraid they will make you sick. You may just have to eat first or bring your own food.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I would be nervous to try someplace like this who sounded like they just didn't want to bother.

i-geek Rookie

Would they be willing to grill your food on a piece of foil?

Kay DH Apprentice

Thanks for the great replies. I talked with the manager today and he said he would talk with the chefs regarding food that I could eat. Hopefully the cooks know more about gluten than the manager or banquet organizer. If it doesn't work out, maybe we'll stay home and broil some lobsters. Always good to have backup plans.

irahappy1 Newbie

I haven't taken time to read all the messages here, but having been a cook for a while, I would warn that the process of cleaning a grill, if not carefully done, can leave bits of the (can't recall name of the thing that is used, but it's like a pumice stone and bits fall off as it scours the grill).... this stuff can give you a terrible intestinal reaction... so be careful...

Kay DH Apprentice

Got back from a road trip yesterday. It's interesting how many small town eating places have nothing that I can eat. The grills didn't even have separate pans to fry/poach/boil eggs. Thank goodness for snacks. The problem was resolved on my original post; they are going to have gluten-free chili for me. It took about 3 phone calls and 10 emails back and forth to various folk. gluten-free is a bit of a maze, but it can be traversed. Best to think of gluten-free as a game.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator
Best to think of gluten-free as a game.

I do that. I'm stalking a gluten-free meal, much as a hunter stalks a doe. Sometimes I come back empty-handed but I've gotten pretty good at it. ;)

Skylark Collaborator
Best to think of gluten-free as a game.

I do that. I'm stalking a gluten-free meal, much as a hunter stalks a doe. Sometimes I come back empty-handed but I've gotten pretty good at it. ;) I was on a short vacation recently, found a group that lists restaurants in the area, and had some really good gluten-free meals.

Archived