Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Bagels

9 posts in this topic

Hi All:

My workplace does a coffee klatsch every Friday.

I usually keep bagels at work so if I feel like participating, I won't be left out.

So far, I have tried kinnickinnick (did I spell that right?) and they are too dense and heavy. I also tried the Enjoy Life ones and I hated them too (like cardboard).

I would like to try Udi's bagels as they are the closest bread that you can buy (from all the reviews here) that is a really good real bread substitute.

Has anyone tried them? Are they good?

Are they too dense or do they crush down a bit like real wheat bagels?

I would love to hear people's opinions :)

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Hi All:

My workplace does a coffee klatsch every Friday.

I usually keep bagels at work so if I feel like participating, I won't be left out.

So far, I have tried kinnickinnick (did I spell that right?) and they are too dense and heavy. I also tried the Enjoy Life ones and I hated them too (like cardboard).

I would like to try Udi's bagels as they are the closest bread that you can buy (from all the reviews here) that is a really good real bread substitute.

Has anyone tried them? Are they good?

Are they too dense or do they crush down a bit like real wheat bagels?

I would love to hear people's opinions :)

Thanks!

They are delicious, delicious, delicious. Plain or toasted, with marg, cream cheese or peanut butter, or sliced tomatoes or chicken salad... very yummy, soft like a real bagel. I buy 5 or 6 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer. They thaw in minutes and if I am taking one to work the next day I just put it in a little baggie and it stays soft and fresh.

They are delicious, delicious, delicious. Plain or toasted, with marg, cream cheese or peanut butter, or sliced tomatoes or chicken salad... very yummy, soft like a real bagel. I buy 5 or 6 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer. They thaw in minutes and if I am taking one to work the next day I just put it in a little baggie and it stays soft and fresh.

They are by far the best I've had. Like the bread, you don't even need to toast them. I will warn you though they taste more like bread than bagel. But still good.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll order a few packages through Amazon and keep a package at work and the rest in the freezer.

I've tried all the brands mentioned here and still think Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes out of NY makes the best bagel.

I've tried all the brands mentioned here and still think Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes out of NY makes the best bagel.

Janet, can you get these is stores or do you have to mail order them?

Thanks!

~Allison

Yes, you can buy them in stores across the country. Not sure if any of the large chains carry them though. I think there is a list on their website somewhere.

I second the Joan's vote. We love them. In fact, DH usually won't eat the gluten-free bread products (like Udi's) because they are so expensive (he doesn't have Celiac, but our house is gluten-free for our son). He can't resist Joan's! In fact, he usually eats two at a time! LOVE the cinnamon raisin ones. Yum, yum, yum. In fact, I think I'll go make some for bedtime snacks.

I haven't heard of Joan's but I have tried Glutino which was hard and dense. Loved the Udi's, but it is more like a bread (I have decided to try them as a hamburger bun! :D ) I just bought Kinnikinik (Sp???) but haven't tried them yet. I do like their hamburger buns...need to be nuked for a few minutes for it to be the best, though. I have had Schar's rolls, they were great. I don't know if they make a bagel, but I would try it if they did, given their other products.