#1 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi All:

My workplace does a coffee klatsch every Friday.
I usually keep bagels at work so if I feel like participating, I won't be left out.

So far, I have tried kinnickinnick (did I spell that right?) and they are too dense and heavy. I also tried the Enjoy Life ones and I hated them too (like cardboard).
I would like to try Udi's bagels as they are the closest bread that you can buy (from all the reviews here) that is a really good real bread substitute.

Has anyone tried them? Are they good?
Are they too dense or do they crush down a bit like real wheat bagels?

I would love to hear people's opinions :)
Thanks!
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi All:

My workplace does a coffee klatsch every Friday.
I usually keep bagels at work so if I feel like participating, I won't be left out.

So far, I have tried kinnickinnick (did I spell that right?) and they are too dense and heavy. I also tried the Enjoy Life ones and I hated them too (like cardboard).
I would like to try Udi's bagels as they are the closest bread that you can buy (from all the reviews here) that is a really good real bread substitute.

Has anyone tried them? Are they good?
Are they too dense or do they crush down a bit like real wheat bagels?

I would love to hear people's opinions :)
Thanks!

They are delicious, delicious, delicious. Plain or toasted, with marg, cream cheese or peanut butter, or sliced tomatoes or chicken salad... very yummy, soft like a real bagel. I buy 5 or 6 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer. They thaw in minutes and if I am taking one to work the next day I just put it in a little baggie and it stays soft and fresh.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#3 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

They are delicious, delicious, delicious. Plain or toasted, with marg, cream cheese or peanut butter, or sliced tomatoes or chicken salad... very yummy, soft like a real bagel. I buy 5 or 6 bags at a time and keep them in the freezer. They thaw in minutes and if I am taking one to work the next day I just put it in a little baggie and it stays soft and fresh.

They are by far the best I've had. Like the bread, you don't even need to toast them. I will warn you though they taste more like bread than bagel. But still good.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#4 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll order a few packages through Amazon and keep a package at work and the rest in the freezer.
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#5 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

I've tried all the brands mentioned here and still think Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes out of NY makes the best bagel.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#6 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

I've tried all the brands mentioned here and still think Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes out of NY makes the best bagel.

Janet, can you get these is stores or do you have to mail order them?

Thanks!
~Allison

#7 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

Yes, you can buy them in stores across the country. Not sure if any of the large chains carry them though. I think there is a list on their website somewhere.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#8 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

I second the Joan's vote. We love them. In fact, DH usually won't eat the gluten-free bread products (like Udi's) because they are so expensive (he doesn't have Celiac, but our house is gluten-free for our son). He can't resist Joan's! In fact, he usually eats two at a time! LOVE the cinnamon raisin ones. Yum, yum, yum. In fact, I think I'll go make some for bedtime snacks.

#9 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I haven't heard of Joan's but I have tried Glutino which was hard and dense. Loved the Udi's, but it is more like a bread (I have decided to try them as a hamburger bun! :D ) I just bought Kinnikinik (Sp???) but haven't tried them yet. I do like their hamburger buns...need to be nuked for a few minutes for it to be the best, though. I have had Schar's rolls, they were great. I don't know if they make a bagel, but I would try it if they did, given their other products.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: