This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Would You Have Done In This Restaurant Situation?

SaraKat

SaraKat Contributor

I was dx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kitgordon Explorer

I would have just removed them and eaten it anyway, because I don't usually react to small amounts of gluten. But I understand that for many people here, that would not be an option. It comes down to what is comfortable for you and how sensitive you are.

heatherjane Contributor

I would have sent it back. Whether or not you have symptoms, small amounts of gluten can cause an autoimmune reaction. Don't be afraid to send food back...restaurants need to get things right, especially when it comes to food issues. Instead of saying you have celiac, which a lot of people may not know of, tell the server that you have a severe allergy to gluten, in which contamination is problem, so they need to prepare and keep your food separate. "Allergy" is more understood by society and raises a red flag with the staff. Also,Triumph Dining has these great allergy cards that explains to the staff exactly what they need to do to prepare your food safely. They've been extremely helpful for me and have saved me from having to do indepth questioning. As celiacs, we are our own advocates until society catches on. If you tell the server that you can't tolerate gluten and they put gluten on your plate, please be consistent and send it back....otherwise they'll never take us seriously.

Just my opinion :)

jststric Contributor

You may not be assertive, but you ate going to gave to learn to be. It's your health and you are paying for their service. Obviously something was list between the waiter and the kitchen, but he should have caught that mistake and simply informed you it would be just a few more minutes for the kitchen o remake your salad due to the mistake. But, you need to learn to speak up and help educate servers and restaurants.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I would have sent it back, but I also would have been clear on ordering - please make sure that no croutons are put on the salad. This happened to me (at Outback, ironically) once. I certainly could have been more clear with the server, and when it came out with croutons, I apologized for not being clearer, but sent it back noting that I couldn't eat what was there without getting quite sick. (Well, I don't get *THAT* horrid of a reaction, but I do get sick.)

K8ling Enthusiast

I would have sent it back BUT I do get violently ill from Gluten. So... I think if I was asymptomatic I would have just taken them off.

Kay DH Apprentice

I went to a steak house about 6 months ago and told them I am very allergy to wheat, a protein in wheat, rye, barley... I should probably have asked for the manager when we arrived and told her, but I assumed the waiter would work. The salad arrived with Chinese noodles, and I sent it back. I believe the waiter just took the noodles off, rather than getting the new salad, because I only rented the meal for a few hours. When I called the manager the next day and told her she said "did you eat the bread sticks?", so her learning curve is a bit low. You need to be very proactive regarding eating out; it is good for them to know about celiac and that you are not in the fad diet, and it is good for you. When I order salad now and it comes with croutons or associated evil stuff, I hide something under the salad before I send it back; were I to get the same salad back then I would ask for the manager. It takes time for all of this routine to become habit. I became gluten intolerant last Fall after getting the flu, and I was getting sick quite a bit from gluten-free meals at restaurants. With celiac it is important to be anal retentive. Tis all a learning process. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

srall Contributor

send it back. they need to remake you a fresh salad. Usually I can get restaurants to leave off the croutons...but ALWAYS put cheese on even though I say no cheese

Skylark Collaborator

I always specifically order salads without croutons or bread and mention that I am "allergic" to wheat. (Sometimes a dinner roll will show up on the side of a salad.) If it comes with croutons, I remind the waiter of my order, explain that the "allergy" is severe, and to please have the kitchen make a fresh salad as the crumbs left when I pick out croutons will make me ill.

Kay DH Apprentice

Perhaps consider that your being proactive is not just good for you, but is good training for the restaurant staff and maybe could prevent another celiac from getting sick in the future. If it is more difficult to voice your needs, than as another poster indicated, the dining cards work well (at least the staff are more likely to listen to you).

SaraKat Contributor

Thanks all! I will have to get one of those dining cards and saying the allergy thing is a good idea.

I did tell the waiter no croutons when he said he didn't think they were on there, so he definitely messed that up. I hope that dressing was really gluten-free too after I devoured all of it!

lovegrov Collaborator

ALWAYS send it back whether you react or not. You have no idea whether you are damaging yourself inside and many of us get enough CC without knowing it anyway. When you definitely know the gluten is there, avoid it.

richard

BethJ Rookie

A funny thing happened at a restaurant that has a gluten-free menu. I ordered our take-out dinners online and stressed no croutons etc. When I arrived to pick up my order, the girl said the chef thought the sauce for the fish might contain gluten so he substituted another sauce that he knew was safe. I thought, wow, this place rocks.

When I got home and unpacked our food, my salad was covered with croutons. *sigh* So much for communication.

diane64 Apprentice

I would (and have) sent it back. I ordered a meal at Chili's, but it came with gravy on the potatoes. I had explained to the waitress that I have celiac, can't have gluten, etc. She was rather confident when she assured me that she has been a waitress for 20 years...I sent back the meal after she offered to scrape the potatoes off! I had two managers come to the table and apologize. One of them told me that they are still learning about celiac.

I prefer to eat at home!

Diane

A funny thing happened at a restaurant that has a gluten-free menu. I ordered our take-out dinners online and stressed no croutons etc. When I arrived to pick up my order, the girl said the chef thought the sauce for the fish might contain gluten so he substituted another sauce that he knew was safe. I thought, wow, this place rocks.

When I got home and unpacked our food, my salad was covered with croutons. *sigh* So much for communication.

K8ling Enthusiast

Also, when I DO go out...I feel like I can make it better so what's the point?

sandiz Apprentice

You are not being agressive you are being safe. I would have sent it back. I have when I have gone out. From owning a restaurant we want you to come back so best we fix the problem then not and have you not come back.

Reba32 Rookie

I would have sent it back and stressed "please do not just take the croutons off and bring the same plate back to me. Make a fresh plate".

Even if you have no noticable symptoms, you are still damaging your small intestine every time you injest gluten. You are not being impolite by insisting that you leave the restaurant in good health. If they serve you well once, you'll be back. If they make you sick, how likely are you to return, or recommend the place to people you know?

polarbearscooby Explorer

I would have sent it back. (or had my dad do it...)

I am SUPER sensitive, I get sick if someone drinks my drink and I drink it and they've had something with wheat in it during the day. And I can't eat the "Made in same facility as wheat" stuff. I get so ill....

I get way to sick for way to long to risk something like that...

*edited to add*

Plus I'M paying for the stinking food! So I don't want it to make me sick!

And waiters want you to be happy so they can get good tips, if I have a waiter/waitress who does well and works hard they make good tips from me, and I always request them and they know it.

Dixiebell Contributor

Also, when I DO go out...I feel like I can make it better so what's the point?

I totally agree. My food is so much better.

mbrookes Community Regular

Smile when you give your order. My normal thing is to say "I am the customer from hell" while laughing. Then I explain what I cannot eat and a little about cross contamination. The kicker is telling them " I hate it when I roll out across the floor and my children wind up owning the restaurant." An exaggeration? Of course, but is makes the point.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

The way I figure it, as Celiac's, we are thrust into the world of being high maintainence customers who tip very well. Be smart about where and WHEN you choose to dine. Be clear about what you need. Educate the wait staff, manager, and chef every stop at the table. Be courteous and tip well for the extra time and attention it takes for the staff to make sure the meal is safe.

I always skip the salad after seeing how they are usually prepared while I was a waitress. Cross contamination is highly likely.

The good servers, managers, chefs and restaraunts will do many of the following:

*They will know where the gluten free menues are located and not have to ask 4 people to help find them.

*Send the manager or chef to the table -I often request this when I go to the hostess station.

*Send the waitress back to the table after you order with confirmation that your order is gluten free or needs adjusting.

*The silverware and plates will be spotless.

*When the food arrives, they will confirm you are the allergy dish and serve it first.

*Send a separate server/kitchen staff to the table delivering your plate with a napkin covered hand (so that your food does not get cross contaminated by the other dishes on the server's tray. (#1 sign of a safe meal to come).

*The food will arrive on a plate that is room temperature (indicating freshly plated) vs. one that is hot (indicating time spent under the warmer waiting for the other dishes to be completed and getting cross contaminated while it waits).

*Your food might arrive as soon as it is ready before the rest of your party's dishes. You will have to just stare at that steak until thier's arrives too.

*There will be lots of little ramekins of sides instead of everything piled up in the center of your plate.

*The waitress will set the bread, appetizers, and desserts away from you so the crumbs don't go flying.

*The waitress and anyone else who approaches to help your table will already know you have an allergy.

*If the restaraunt is slow (think 4:30pm dinner), the chef might offer to make you a special dessert. (fruit plate, fancy ice cream, or assist with something decadant from the bar).

I NEVER assume any of these things will happen when I dine out, but they are subtle signs to me that the staff is taking my needs seriously and that there is a good chance I will not get sick.

Best wishes with your recovery and learning to be proactive. Remember, a dish sent back is nothing personal.

aeryn Rookie

I'm like you, I'm not one to complain and I never send my order back (before I learned about Celiac) so I was nervous about this same sort of situation happening. The first time I went to a restaurant to eat, I went to a place that I was comfortable with (I used to go there often and know some of the staff.) I brought one of the Celiac restaurant cards with me to give to the waitress/chef. I figured if I couldn't handle doing that at a place I'm comfortable at, I'm screwed. But it was no big deal. I ordered something that (from the description) should have been gluten free, but the waitress came back with word from the chef that with the way they make it, it wasn't, AND with a suggested alternative for a gluten free meal. The second time I went to a restaurant, I called ahead to let them know I was coming and asked what they had for gluten free options. The person who answered the phone was actually familiar with it, and was able to give me a great list of food options. I know I'm rambling at this point, but the point is that I've found it easier to be proactive (and it's less intimidating to make a phone call!) with a restaurant than to try to deal with things when they've gone wrong. Of course things could still go wrong...so I would say always send it back.

Archived