2 replies to this topic

#1 summerteeth

summerteeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

I decided to bite the bullet & go casein free. I have not had any dairy of any kind for a week & a half (I know, I know - not long).

But I am having some rather strange side effects - usually I get C (which is why I started a casein free trial) - now, for the last 2 or 3 days, I have D (very strange for me, even in my pre-gluten free days).

And I seem to be gaining a bit of weight - not much, but strange nonetheless (I am hoping to attribute to possibly increased salt intake - I really like kalamata olives ;) )

Any comments? Suggestions? Ideas?
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lisa25

lisa25

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Did you replace the dairy with a substitute, like soy? When I did a trial dairy free diet I ate soy cheese, soy ice cream, and used soy milk. The trial didn't go so well because I eventually found out I was also sensitive to soy. I ended up getting checked by Enterolab because the guess work was too tricky. Turns out now, my reaction to soy is just as bad as gluten.
Lisa

Gluten Free 2/08
Dairy & Soy Free 8/08
Corn & Egg Free 3/10

Lots of autoimmune in family, no diagnosed celiacs. Non-supportive doctors...told there was nothing wrong with me. Tested by Enterolab. Diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (6/10). Doing much better managing hypoglycemia in addition to no eggs or corn.

#3 summerteeth

summerteeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Nope, no *intentional* soy, besides Earth Balance (I have one tub of soy free at work & one tub of not soy free at home). No soy milk, so soy ice cream. And no soy cheese (I LOVE cheese and I am afraid that soy cheese would be a let down).

I don't really buy convenience foods - I make all of my meals - I didn't really change anything except instead of chocolate milk, I am drinking either water or 100% juice. And I haven't been eating candy at all (I had a serious love affair with Reese's. And milk chocolate in general).

I do eat Udi's or Katz bread, but I have eaten those for the last 6+ months with no problems.
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: