35 replies to this topic

#1 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

My husbands parents and grandparents are coming to visit on Saturday and I have just realized that I have no idea what to feed them! What do normal people eat?! I did cheese and crackers last time they came...maybe cheese cubes and the gluten-free veggie crackers? Oh goodness what to feed them for lunch...

Augh.

Suggestions?
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

How about a nice fruit and cheese platter? Maybe with some seasonal fruit? Or, dried fruit? I've discovered that people really like being served something different, and dried fruit (which most people don't seem to eat) goes over well. Another suggestion for the platter is nuts. Also somewhat unusual, and so welcome.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Grill some chicken and have a salad bar. Put out bowls of different salad toppings ( no croutons). Some cheeses, carrots, bell peppers, etc. No need to serve bread. Some gluten-free cookies or brownies or ice cream. It's still hot where you live, I think, or I would suggest a nice soup. You could make some gluten-free corn bread. Have all the little bowls ready in the fridge and the salad is easy. If you want time in the kitchen when they are there, you could add some quesadillas to the salad or soup. Use rice tortillas and different cheeses, salsas, veggies. Also, a taco bar so they can assemble their own tacos. Extra lettuce if you invite anyone like my dad. He just crushes it up into a big taco salad.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Or . . . the side salad and a baked potato bar with bacon, butter, bacon, chives, bacon, cheese, bacon, broccoli, bacon, sour cream . . . did I mention bacon?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Or . . . the side salad and a baked potato bar with bacon, butter, bacon, chives, bacon, cheese, bacon, broccoli, bacon, sour cream . . . did I mention bacon?

Ah! Baked potato, cheese, bacon.... How did I forget my fave? Be sure you have bacon! :) :)

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

I serve the same stuff we usually eat in this house, and I'm now well known for having copious quantities of fresh, tasty food whenever guests come over. Stir fry is one of our staples (use olive oil and italian spices instead of canola and asian, and you've got a sautee that is equally good). We do a fair number of soups (chicken rice is a favorite, as is lentil). Grilled meat and veggies are quite common (with or without roasted potatoes). Really, I don't know what "normal" people eat that is different. (I'd probably serve more pasta based dishes, but my husband isn't a huge fan of pasta - regular or gluten-free.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Rissmeek

Rissmeek

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Because our family is such a hodge-podge of what they can, will, and want to eat I usually do a buffet of some sort. Taco bars a good. No one realizes they are eating restricted diet food. Non-gluten-free folks can have flour tortillas, gluten-free can have their corn ones, etc. I've done pasta bars too. A couple of sauces, a couple of meat choices, and both gluten-free and regular pasta.
Mel

#8 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Ummm...On the potato bar? Don't forget the bacon :)
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

hell, just go for the bacon bar -- hickory smoked, honeyed, pepper, turkey.....
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 bincongo

bincongo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Well my husband won't go completely gluten free so he buys his own bread. If it were me I would go simple. Go to the deli and ask them to clean their machine and get sliced Boar's Head meats and cheeses and have sandwiches. Get gluten free chips, there are a lot out there. You can have gluten free bread and the others can do there own thing. Oh, I also get mayonnaise in the squeeze bottle and butter and mustard in squeeze bottle's so there is no CC.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

#11 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

We usually toss something delicious on the grill as the main dish and have a few veggie and grain/starch sides. We had my parents over for Labor Day. Husband smoked a pork shoulder roast, and I made black beans and rice and fruit salad on the sides. We've done ribs, brisket, or burgers as well, with sides like baked beans, quinoa salad, vinaigrette potato salad, tossed green salad, potato or corn chips (not all at once, thank goodness).

I really love the idea of the bacon bar. :D

#12 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

I really don't cook different when I have company. Usually people are surprised that they are eating gluten free foods. I'm not sure what your typical meals are like, or if it's just casual "snacking". If you weren'y gluten free what might you do?

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

K8, I think you go for food you can prepare ahead and go completely gluten-free. That way you can safely eat the leftovers and not worry that someone who just picked up glutigenous food got crumbs on your carrot sticks. This is how I plan to handle the holidays and the staff party my hub feels he should host. Fortunately, they know about my my C D and give him info on things they see at the grocery that are gluten-free.

LTES

#14 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:01 PM

My boyfriend and I often have people over for dinner at our place, and it's always 100% gluten-free. Either people don't notice, or they are pleasantly surprised and ask for leftovers! All the ideas here are good, but really you can make any meal gluten-free so whatever you would have done in the past I'm sure you could tweak for "normal" people and yourself to all be able to eat it.

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

I like to do the salad bar for lunch.

If the weather is colder, I might do chili. A quick one to make is just three different kinds of beans (canned), a can of corn and a jar of salsa, all mixed together and heated through. If there are meat lovers, I will add some ground beef. This can be served over a bed of rice and garnished with things like cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, olives and corn chips.

Soup can be another good choice, unless they are the type that want crackers or bread with their soup. Then they might not like the gluten-free stuff.

My family tends to like really bland food, so chicken and rice works well for them. Or I will do chicken with rice noodles and gluten-free gravy.

Another thing I have made is potroast with onions, carrots and potatoes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: