Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Feeding "normal" People

36 posts in this topic

My husbands parents and grandparents are coming to visit on Saturday and I have just realized that I have no idea what to feed them! What do normal people eat?! I did cheese and crackers last time they came...maybe cheese cubes and the gluten-free veggie crackers? Oh goodness what to feed them for lunch...

Augh.

Suggestions?

Ads by Google:

How about a nice fruit and cheese platter? Maybe with some seasonal fruit? Or, dried fruit? I've discovered that people really like being served something different, and dried fruit (which most people don't seem to eat) goes over well. Another suggestion for the platter is nuts. Also somewhat unusual, and so welcome.

Grill some chicken and have a salad bar. Put out bowls of different salad toppings ( no croutons). Some cheeses, carrots, bell peppers, etc. No need to serve bread. Some gluten-free cookies or brownies or ice cream. It's still hot where you live, I think, or I would suggest a nice soup. You could make some gluten-free corn bread. Have all the little bowls ready in the fridge and the salad is easy. If you want time in the kitchen when they are there, you could add some quesadillas to the salad or soup. Use rice tortillas and different cheeses, salsas, veggies. Also, a taco bar so they can assemble their own tacos. Extra lettuce if you invite anyone like my dad. He just crushes it up into a big taco salad.

Or . . . the side salad and a baked potato bar with bacon, butter, bacon, chives, bacon, cheese, bacon, broccoli, bacon, sour cream . . . did I mention bacon?

Or . . . the side salad and a baked potato bar with bacon, butter, bacon, chives, bacon, cheese, bacon, broccoli, bacon, sour cream . . . did I mention bacon?

Ah! Baked potato, cheese, bacon.... How did I forget my fave? Be sure you have bacon! :) :)

I serve the same stuff we usually eat in this house, and I'm now well known for having copious quantities of fresh, tasty food whenever guests come over. Stir fry is one of our staples (use olive oil and italian spices instead of canola and asian, and you've got a sautee that is equally good). We do a fair number of soups (chicken rice is a favorite, as is lentil). Grilled meat and veggies are quite common (with or without roasted potatoes). Really, I don't know what "normal" people eat that is different. (I'd probably serve more pasta based dishes, but my husband isn't a huge fan of pasta - regular or gluten-free.)

Because our family is such a hodge-podge of what they can, will, and want to eat I usually do a buffet of some sort. Taco bars a good. No one realizes they are eating restricted diet food. Non-gluten-free folks can have flour tortillas, gluten-free can have their corn ones, etc. I've done pasta bars too. A couple of sauces, a couple of meat choices, and both gluten-free and regular pasta.

Ummm...On the potato bar? Don't forget the bacon :)

hell, just go for the bacon bar -- hickory smoked, honeyed, pepper, turkey.....

Well my husband won't go completely gluten free so he buys his own bread. If it were me I would go simple. Go to the deli and ask them to clean their machine and get sliced Boar's Head meats and cheeses and have sandwiches. Get gluten free chips, there are a lot out there. You can have gluten free bread and the others can do there own thing. Oh, I also get mayonnaise in the squeeze bottle and butter and mustard in squeeze bottle's so there is no CC.

We usually toss something delicious on the grill as the main dish and have a few veggie and grain/starch sides. We had my parents over for Labor Day. Husband smoked a pork shoulder roast, and I made black beans and rice and fruit salad on the sides. We've done ribs, brisket, or burgers as well, with sides like baked beans, quinoa salad, vinaigrette potato salad, tossed green salad, potato or corn chips (not all at once, thank goodness).

I really love the idea of the bacon bar. :D

I really don't cook different when I have company. Usually people are surprised that they are eating gluten free foods. I'm not sure what your typical meals are like, or if it's just casual "snacking". If you weren'y gluten free what might you do?

K8, I think you go for food you can prepare ahead and go completely gluten-free. That way you can safely eat the leftovers and not worry that someone who just picked up glutigenous food got crumbs on your carrot sticks. This is how I plan to handle the holidays and the staff party my hub feels he should host. Fortunately, they know about my my C D and give him info on things they see at the grocery that are gluten-free.

My boyfriend and I often have people over for dinner at our place, and it's always 100% gluten-free. Either people don't notice, or they are pleasantly surprised and ask for leftovers! All the ideas here are good, but really you can make any meal gluten-free so whatever you would have done in the past I'm sure you could tweak for "normal" people and yourself to all be able to eat it.

I like to do the salad bar for lunch.

If the weather is colder, I might do chili. A quick one to make is just three different kinds of beans (canned), a can of corn and a jar of salsa, all mixed together and heated through. If there are meat lovers, I will add some ground beef. This can be served over a bed of rice and garnished with things like cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, olives and corn chips.

Soup can be another good choice, unless they are the type that want crackers or bread with their soup. Then they might not like the gluten-free stuff.

My family tends to like really bland food, so chicken and rice works well for them. Or I will do chicken with rice noodles and gluten-free gravy.

Another thing I have made is potroast with onions, carrots and potatoes.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!! I was at a complete loss. I spoke with the husband last night when he skyped us and he said to wait until they get here and then ask what they want me to make (I make a LOT of good foods and sometimes have requests from out of town visitors). I am not so freaked out now! They are Italian (2nd generation) so I am NOT trying pasta sauce, grandpa would hate me forever lol.

The BACON BAR would ROCK! Seriously. I even have Bacon band aids. I LOVE ME SOME BACONNNNN!!!

mmm. Bacon. :wub:

hell, just go for the bacon bar -- hickory smoked, honeyed, pepper, turkey.....

:lol::lol::lol:

It seems so obvious now . . . why didn't I think of that!!

I usually feed gluten-eaters bbq chicken (I use boneless/skinless thighs and use Sweet Baby Ray's sauce) with white sushi rice (from my rice cooker), a fresh veggie like zucchini or whatever floats your boat and make a salad with lots of fixin's inside it.

No one has ever questioned it's gluten free status and it is very, very yummy and traditional.

We usually serve plain vanilla ice cream (like Dryers) for dessert.

I serve what ever it is that I eat. My husband and mother in law are not gluten-free but eat the same as me except the bread. A sandwich buffet is a nice idea, maybe a small loaf of normal bread for them.

Good luck.

well I'm not bringing gluten into my gluten-free kitchen. So unless they go gluten-free they aren't getting food LOL

Have you seen the crockpot blog? http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

I think almost everything she makes seems "normal" and it's all gluten free. I make "normal" stuff all the time like soup, stew, salad, tacos, stirfry, grilled meat and steamed veggies, etc. There's tons of food that is just naturally gltuen free (or easy to leave out the gluten without noticing). No need to feed them gluten replacements (which can be expensive anyway) like gluten free bread for sandwiches. Just don't do sandwiches. You could do quelladillas with corn tortillas instead if you want handheld food. And I wouldn't even mention what you made is "gltuen free" unless they ask where is the crackers/bread/pasta.

well I'm not bringing gluten into my gluten-free kitchen. So unless they go gluten-free they aren't getting food LOL

Sorry to break it to you but they are not really there to eat or see you. They are there for the grandbaby. :P

Sorry to break it to you but they are not really there to eat or see you. They are there for the grandbaby. :P

Oh I KNOW that...however...if they want to see said grandbaby they will respect the rules of my house.

Oh I KNOW that...however...if they want to see said grandbaby they will respect the rules of my house.

I wouldn't serve gluten for them either. I worry that they will take thier bread and then touch the lettuce or cheese. When my oldest has friends over to eat his Dad's hamburgers, I get my cheese, chips, etc first. When they leave I write on the leftover cheese package or chips "kids" so I don't forget & eat them.

Have a nice visit!

It depends on whether you want to cook to impress or just go with basic sustenance.

Risotto is pretty dressy and reheats well with a bit more broth if you don't add anything green or cheese until you are about to serve it. That plus the salad bar deal... and a fruit salad or good chocolate covered strawberries or something and you've a feast.

BBQ with corn on the cob or roasted sweet potatoes and vegetables of choice. Custard for dessert?

You can also do make your own spring rolls, or you could make them beforehand. Pad thai...

Mediterranean: crudites, olives, some sort of cooked vegetable salad like spiced carrots in olive oil, lentil or bean salad, rice pilaf, hummus, stuffed cabbage/grape leaves or a meat stew or kebabs... You'll be able to eat the leftover for lunch for a couple of days.

Don't serve brown rice tortillas, I beg you.