8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowena

Rowena

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Howdy ya'll. I thought I would introduce myself. I am Karen. I hail from the Western US, though I did spend a considerable amount of time in the DC area. Born in Idaho. I aint been diagnosed with celiac disease, in fact the blood tests came out with a negative result. But after doin intense research, I discovered that all the foods that make me sickest have gluten in them, so I decided to try goin gluten free. I been gluten free for a week now, n' I am lovin it. Admittedly, its quite hard, and bein the only gluten free one in my family, it is even more difficult, though my husband does eat what I eat. He's quite supportive, but I've come 'ere in hopes that ya'll can be the ones I turn to for advice. So howdy.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bparravicino

bparravicino

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Welcome and good luck.As a fellow recently self diagnosed celiac, I can only say great things about this site and the people on here.

#3 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:30 AM

Hi there! Welcome! You're lucky your husband eats what you eat. I'm cooking for one, and that is a pain in the butt sometimes.

#4 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Howdy ya'll. I thought I would introduce myself. I am Karen. I hail from the Western US, though I did spend a considerable amount of time in the DC area. Born in Idaho. I aint been diagnosed with celiac disease, in fact the blood tests came out with a negative result. But after doin intense research, I discovered that all the foods that make me sickest have gluten in them, so I decided to try goin gluten free. I been gluten free for a week now, n' I am lovin it. Admittedly, its quite hard, and bein the only gluten free one in my family, it is even more difficult, though my husband does eat what I eat. He's quite supportive, but I've come 'ere in hopes that ya'll can be the ones I turn to for advice. So howdy.

Hi!
I'm self- daignosed- decided not to deal with the testing.
anywho, I grew up in West Valley & have lived the last almost 11 years in Idaho (3 1/2 in Pocatello, the last & in Boise)...so it's kinda like the two of us have just switched locations...lol...
i still have family in Utah, so go down there every once in a while (sadly, can't afford to travel much of anywhere very often...)

Have a good night!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#5 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

bparravicino (hope I got that right)~ Yes, so far I love this site and the people on it. People here have been so helpful and have great advice and wonderful stories to tell. I can't wait to get to know more of them better.

Emilushka~ I am lucky, but I did offer a couple suggestions in your thread in the other non celiac/gluten free diet forum about your body bein insane. I hope they are some bit of a help. I think your fiance sounds like a picky eater more than anything. Not that I have anythin bad to say about picky eaters, as when I was a kid I only ate spaghetti, pizza, and honey nut cheerios. (And strangely the first food my parents used to break me of my poor dietary habits was lasagna, and they worked hard to convince me that it was spaghetti and pizza combined. Once they managed to convince me to eat the worlds tiniest bite, I proceeded to eat most of the pan.) I'm still a bit of a picky eater though. And it often drives my husband crazy that I cringe at some of the foods he wants to makes. (Yes, I married a man who can cook. It to this day thrills me.)

Thank ye both for ye kind welcome... Now to find some other SLCers... oh wait... nevermind, that dont matter none to me...

Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)

#6 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi!
I'm self- daignosed- decided not to deal with the testing.
anywho, I grew up in West Valley & have lived the last almost 11 years in Idaho (3 1/2 in Pocatello, the last & in Boise)...so it's kinda like the two of us have just switched locations...lol...
i still have family in Utah, so go down there every once in a while (sadly, can't afford to travel much of anywhere very often...)

Have a good night!

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *grin* I suppose that means you love ID as much as I do? (Im assumin since you say youve lived in ID for 11 years) We're probably gonna move up to Pocatello or IF in a couple years, because its what I call home, and my hubby is eager to please me. Plus he has a leg up for a job in Idaho once he graduates. My last foster family is still close to my heart, and the mom is a social worker, and can get my husband a job up there with one of her friends in the speech pathology field.

(And yeah we can't travel anywhere very often for lack of money too. But we plan to visit ID more.)

#7 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Its been about 2 years since I last was here (and active) so I decided to bump this thread up and reintroduce myself.

As you can see in my signature, I've been gluten-free for 2.5 years.  I now live in West Valley, which is just south and west of Salt Lake City.  I am now married, and I JUST gave birth to a healthy baby boy 11 hours shy of a month ago.  He is our first child so we are thrilled as ever.  He truly is a little miracle.  I miscarried with my first pregnancy at six weeks, didn't find out till I was '12 weeks' and actually got the thing out three weeks later.  Since then, I had even worse health than before my pregnancy with uncontrollable weight gain, and missed cycles, and so on so forth.  The stomach pain was not new to me, as for years I had it, and I MIRACULOUSLY somehow managed to pass my senior year, despite coming home near on every day after lunch writhing in pain.  Many doctors and blood tests later, a nurse practictioner decided on a whim to test me for Celiac Disease.  Having no clue what it was, I did my own research, and realized, hey, those are some of my symptoms.  So I tried the diet immediately, and miraculously, I no longer seemed to be getting new stomach pain. So when the NP told me I came back negative for Celiac, I told her this, and she said, well it seems we found your problem, you are gluten intolerant.  Since then, I had a regular cycle, and the stomach problems are gone, (unless I decide I really want gluten) . I feel amazing.  The one thing it still seemed NOT to fix was my inability to get pregnant... but then I realized, hey... wait, I'm still eating gluten occasionally... and when I do it near my period, it screws up my cycle.  So last September, I started throwing up, which actually really scared me, because I never throw up.  I couldn't keep ANYTHING down, and hydration?  Forget it.  Finally after I threw up 5 times in 48 hrs, I went to the hospital, and after 6.5 hrs in an ER bed, I found out I was pregnant.  (I had been insistant that I wasn't because I thought I might have eaten gluten right around the time I should have gotten my periods... yes plural.  I missed two.  And I still didn't think I was pregnant.)  They determined I was eight or nine weeks along... and well, the rest is history!  Turns out, gluten free helped solve EVERYTHING!

(Meanwhile, we are now on baby formula for food allergies.  Evidently he's like his mother and has food allergies.  We think dairy is definitely a possibility since not even Similac Sensitive worked for him.  [Something he likely picked up from both sides.  Evidently the 'minority' races often have the dairy problems because it wasn't always in their diet according to his pediatrician.]  I am hoping he doesn't inherit my gluten problem though...  Fish, my other big intolerance, doesn't matter so much because no one in our family is big fish eaters.)

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Its been about 2 years since I last was here (and active) so I decided to bump this thread up and reintroduce myself.

As you can see in my signature, I've been gluten-free for 2.5 years.  I now live in West Valley, which is just south and west of Salt Lake City.  I am now married, and I JUST gave birth to a healthy baby boy 11 hours shy of a month ago.  He is our first child so we are thrilled as ever.  He truly is a little miracle.  I miscarried with my first pregnancy at six weeks, didn't find out till I was '12 weeks' and actually got the thing out three weeks later.  Since then, I had even worse health than before my pregnancy with uncontrollable weight gain, and missed cycles, and so on so forth.  The stomach pain was not new to me, as for years I had it, and I MIRACULOUSLY somehow managed to pass my senior year, despite coming home near on every day after lunch writhing in pain.  Many doctors and blood tests later, a nurse practictioner decided on a whim to test me for Celiac Disease.  Having no clue what it was, I did my own research, and realized, hey, those are some of my symptoms.  So I tried the diet immediately, and miraculously, I no longer seemed to be getting new stomach pain. So when the NP told me I came back negative for Celiac, I told her this, and she said, well it seems we found your problem, you are gluten intolerant.  Since then, I had a regular cycle, and the stomach problems are gone, (unless I decide I really want gluten) . I feel amazing.  The one thing it still seemed NOT to fix was my inability to get pregnant... but then I realized, hey... wait, I'm still eating gluten occasionally... and when I do it near my period, it screws up my cycle.  So last September, I started throwing up, which actually really scared me, because I never throw up.  I couldn't keep ANYTHING down, and hydration?  Forget it.  Finally after I threw up 5 times in 48 hrs, I went to the hospital, and after 6.5 hrs in an ER bed, I found out I was pregnant.  (I had been insistant that I wasn't because I thought I might have eaten gluten right around the time I should have gotten my periods... yes plural.  I missed two.  And I still didn't think I was pregnant.)  They determined I was eight or nine weeks along... and well, the rest is history!  Turns out, gluten free helped solve EVERYTHING!

(Meanwhile, we are now on baby formula for food allergies.  Evidently he's like his mother and has food allergies.  We think dairy is definitely a possibility since not even Similac Sensitive worked for him.  [Something he likely picked up from both sides.  Evidently the 'minority' races often have the dairy problems because it wasn't always in their diet according to his pediatrician.]  I am hoping he doesn't inherit my gluten problem though...  Fish, my other big intolerance, doesn't matter so much because no one in our family is big fish eaters.)

Welocme back, Ro!  I commented on your other thread without realizing it was you!  Congrats on the baby!  Getting any sleep?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

haha thats part of the reason I bumped this thread admittedly. Recognized your name and figured might be good for reminding old and new members alike.

as for sleep, whats that?! last time i slept probably was before I knew I was pregnant. (Lets just say my pregnancy was rough.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: