7 replies to this topic

#1 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Being diagnosed as a Celiac has changed my life... in a good way! I feel healthier now than ever before. I've shed weight, increased the intensity of my work outs, added muscle, and leaned-up tremendously. Screw gluten!!! :P

Since my transformation, friends and family have encouraged me to write a book and I am half way through it actually.

Are there any other Celiac's out there who have a success story to share. I want to incorporate some other testimonials to educate the rest of the world about the wonders of a gluten-free world.

You can PM me if you don't feel like sharing with the whole forum.

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic
Avid Snowboarder and Surfer
Over 40 and single digit body fat
Getting stronger every week

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 piglips82

piglips82

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

I weighed over 200 lb. last year. We went gluten free last March and I lost about 30 lb. I would've lost more but found out I was pregnant. So I guess it'll have to wait til next March after the baby is born.

#3 chasbari

chasbari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

I will get back with you in more detail a bit later but this radically brought me back into the land of the living and yes, there was weight loss, major body composition change involved. Good luck with the book!
CS

#4 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

Since baking bread was one of my favorite things to do... going gluten free was hard for me. I was diagnosed w/ celiac disease pretty quickly. When people asked me what the symptoms of celiac disease are, I told them that one of the more common ones is unexplained weight loss... then I'd look down at myself and say, "Um... I didn't get that one!"

I spent the better part of a year stuffing myself w/ gluten free food to make up for all the food I could no longer have and gained about 40 lbs!!

Last winter I was just about ready to go to my doctor to ask for some high-powered acid reducer, like Nexium, because I was having such terrible heartburn/acid reflux that...if I didn't know better I'd have thought I was having a heart attack!! I finally had to admit to my carb addiction... I'd literally wake up in the morning and think to myself, "What carb can I make today? Pasta? Rice? Bread?"

I cut out almost all carbs. I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast and, more often than not, ate veggies (cooked broccoli and carrots or zucchini) w/ a splash of ranch dressing for lunch... occasionally adding 1/2 cup cooked brown rice... and a lean protein w/ a salad and/or veggies for supper. The easy part was not having to "think" of what to cook cause I knew I was pretty much eating the same things every day!

Saturday night was my "cheat night" and I'd make a pizza or have some pasta.

I lost 20 lbs in several months and guess what?? No more heartburn!! I was not only eating too many carbs... I was simply eating too much at supper and going to bed w/ too full a tummy!!

The 20 lbs has been easy to keep off. I'd like to lose the next 20, but will be happy to lose at least another 10 using my same method. I've been slacking off on my eating plan lately. Time to jump back on the bandwagon!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#5 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

My day is made! And I haven't even had this posting up for but 12 hours. Keep the stories flowing in. I'm going to incorporate as many as possible.

And, I already have a publisher for the book.

Thank you all!

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic

#6 HappyGrandma

HappyGrandma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

How wonderful. Please keep us all posted on how it goes.........
gluten-free has made me a new person (and I'm 68). The weight loss is wonderful about 20lbs in 2+ months. And to feel this GOOD is Heaven.

#7 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thank you ALL for your private messages. I have a conference call with my publisher this afternoon. Keep 'em coming if you can.

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic

#8 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts