22 replies to this topic

#16 i-geek

i-geek

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

At this point my opinion is "screw 'em if they're offended". Admittedly I'm biased because last night I ate things that I wasn't sure about so as not to offend my parents-in-law and I started paying the price on the drive home (only CC this time, but still). I'm bringing my own food next time or insisting that they let us cook for them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Tiny grenades? Oooh please? Can I? *grin* Okay maybe that's a bad idea... *chuckle*

ooh Dal sounds so good. Wanna donate a recipe? *grin* But yeah, I'm actually beginning to have fun with the gluten free diet, (especially now that I feel better. Its definitely a big help in my system) and I can't wait to make some fun dishes. Like the other night, I made gluten free taco soup. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad it was all gone by the time we went anywhere so I couldn't bring it. Oh well.

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#18 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Love your response, sandsurf, so true and to the point, and a great reminder that we need to stand up for ourselves, or be prepared for the consequences.

Because the consequences are so particularly horrid for us, I agree that it's best to take your own food as a group dish, and avoid what others bring. Sometimes I pack a smaller dish of my "safe food" so that I don't have to watch/worry about what other people are polluting it with. And I squirrel a few extra snacks away in my purse just in case we stay longer, like nuts or a Lara bar or dried fruit.

Searching the web for Thai and/or Vietnamese recipes for whatever protein you have will give you something new to add to your meal plan. I was thrilled to come up with a crepe recipe tonight with rice flour and coconut milk and water. (Of course I pondered how I can make chocolate crepes) Most Mediteranian and Indian cookbooks or websites offer gluten-free recipes as well. Your local library might be worth visiting...good luck, and best wishes for a great party without worry or consequences. B)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#19 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Tiny grenades? Oooh please? Can I? *grin* Okay maybe that's a bad idea... *chuckle*

ooh Dal sounds so good. Wanna donate a recipe?

Sure, but I cheat horribly. :P I buy the MDH brand Chana Dal Masala at our local Indian grocery shop. It's a little box of premixed spices. Cook a cup and a half of red split lentils (get those at the Indian grocery too) in three or four cups of water depending on how soupy you like it. Mince a whole onion and saute it in ghee. Once it's starting to carmelize add two tablespoons of masala to the frying pan. Saute the spices lightly with the onion and then put the whole thing into the cooked lentils. Add a drained can of diced tomatoes if you feel like it, and I like a little extra salt. Simmer 5-10 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve with some aromatic basmati rice.

Quite a few of the imported Indian masalas are naturally gluten-free so I like to buy different ones and play with them. You do have to check labels and the only gluten ingredient I've occasionally seen was wheat flour so it was not at all hard to find.

#20 Rowena

Rowena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

So new question, I am invited to a college reunion on friday. (A reunion of my freshman group of friends really) I made gluten free cookies today, and I am rather fond of them (or the dough at least... I haven't cooked them yet but hey). Do "normal" people like them? Or should I just hoard them for myself? (I am tempted to do that anyway, but the way I make cookies it turns out nine and a half dozen... It will take me forever to eat em all myself.)

PS thanks fer the recipe for Dal. I'm excited to try it!

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

#21 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

We really don't go to peoples houses for dinner but the last time we did, it was pizza. :blink:

I know now to always ask what is being served. I brought watermelon and a salad. People did ask why I wasn't eating pizza. I told them, we chatted about it, got tipsy and played Rockband :)

My kinda people wouldn't get offended.
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#22 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

So new question, I am invited to a college reunion on friday. (A reunion of my freshman group of friends really) I made gluten free cookies today, and I am rather fond of them (or the dough at least... I haven't cooked them yet but hey). Do "normal" people like them? Or should I just hoard them for myself? (I am tempted to do that anyway, but the way I make cookies it turns out nine and a half dozen... It will take me forever to eat em all myself.)

My family and coworkers have very happily eaten my homemade gluten-free cookies. If you've got nine dozen, hoard half and bring the other half to show off your skills. :)

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

I hope you can find the masala. There are scratch recipes but somehow the imported curries taste more authentic. I just probably haven't found a good scratch recipe yet.

I've done the Betty Crocker gluten-free cookies for friends. I was baking as they came over and the warm cookies disappeared every bit as fast as wheat ones would have. I have also taken brownies made with Pamela's Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix to pot luck parties and gotten compliments on them. I didn't even feel a need to tell people they were gluten-free. If the cookies taste as good as "normal" cookies to you, I wouldn't hesitate to share them with friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: